08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 07:28:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcements Uploaded to Freesound  (Read 7111 times)
159jim

View Profile Email
« on: November 12, 2010, 19:38:42 »

I know theres a lot of you out there that are interested in autuomated announcements, so watch the space on this page for samples!

http://www.freesound.org/usersViewSingle.php?id=1709751

Thanks,
Jim.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 23:23:24 »

Sorry to pee on your fire but there may be copyright implications with what you're trying to do. I know you're not trying to make any money from it, but those copyright for those announcements is generally held by the voice artists and/or company that makes the system.

I don't know enough about copyright law to give an intelligent opinion on whether putting your recordings online is likely to be considered an infringement. What I do know is that some years ago someone recorded announcements at New Street and incorporated them into a free rail simulator without asking permission from Ditra or Phil Sayers. They were then contacted and I think asked to remove the announcements from the simulation, although as I understand things an amicable agreement was reached whereby permission was eventually given for the recording to remain.

Bottom line - if you are planning on putting a slew of these announcements online it might be a good idea to drop an email to the companies that actually manufacture the systems to see if they have any objections on the ground of copyright.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:34:10 »

Think this post on RailForums might explain the copyright situation. (Exactly the same post as is on here)

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=526022&postcount=5
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:30:22 »

To be perfectly honest I'm less concerned about the copyright implications than I am the assumption that there's a lot of us who are actually interested in automated announcements...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:50:10 »

From a purely selfish viewpoint (i.e. as the one who ultimately has to carry the can if this site carries (and continues to carry once we have been alterted) copyright material), I'm not too concerned about copyright of announcements on freesound.org - it's not a site I host or look after.  However, it is good (for the record) for it to be pointed out that there is copyright on such material, and to alert member to this fact.

I recall a site I saw a few months back - not sure where it was - that hosted recordings of public transport announcements, and on that site there was a claim of copyright by the person who had done the uploading.  If any of our members come across such a claim, please remember that the situation is then very much more complex - the primary copyright probably remains with the company / person who did the original recording, but there may also be a secondary copyright with the re-recorder, taking into account the almost musical squaking of seagulls that can be heard between "Avonmouth" and "St Andrew's Road". And a cheaky claim to complete copyright by the person who added the gulls doesn't actually give him the copyright, nor make legal the actions of anyone else who copies the sound from his site, even with his permission.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 17:14:23 »

To be perfectly honest I'm less concerned about the copyright implications than I am the assumption that there's a lot of us who are actually interested in automated announcements...

I was trying to be diplomatic Wink
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 19:49:21 »

So was I.

I should have said "anyone" otherwise  Grin
159jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 20:25:45 »

Some more announcements uploaded from Salisbury:

Thanks,
Jim.
159jim

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 21:56:39 »

Some more announcements uploaded from a SWT (South West Trains) class 444 Desiro:
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: