Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 17:10:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  
Author Topic: Penalty fares go live in April 2010  (Read 68634 times)
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 23, 2010, 08:45:00 »

RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) are paid closer to 30k. No commission apparently.

All revenue from a PF (Penalty Fare) stays with the TOC (Train Operating Company) that issues it regardless of what TOC they travelled on.
E.g. Southern do a block at Gatwick. They (southern) PF a person travelling by FCC (First Capital Connect), Southern keep all the revenue and FCC sees none of it.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:04 »

I see thanks for clarifying that  Smiley

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 23, 2010, 21:40:04 »

RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s dont get commission, and PF (Penalty Fare)'s are actually a small part of the RPI's duties, the main part being that of prosecutions, a successful prosecution can be worth a bit to the company in cost's gained.......
And from what I can gather FGW (First Great Western) RPI's are paid quite a bit more than ^20k!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2010, 23:01:53 »

From the Guardian:

Southern's RPOs earn commission from penalty fares (up to 5% of revenue gained), while London Midland revenue protection employees do not receive commission. Similarly, Southern's RPOs are not vetted through the criminal-record checking system, while London Midland's are.

Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2010, 11:29:46 »

That's interesting CfN... Southern, Southeastern and London Midland are all run under the same parent company, Govia Roll Eyes Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2010, 11:50:40 »

....but as is the case across the entire rail network, employment terms and contracts are often signed with previous TOC (Train Operating Company) owners and in some cases go back as far as BR (British Rail(ways)) days!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2010, 19:57:31 »

From the Guardian:

Southern's RPOs earn commission from penalty fares (up to 5% of revenue gained), while London Midland revenue protection employees do not receive commission. Similarly, Southern's RPOs are not vetted through the criminal-record checking system, while London Midland's are.

Is this a case that RPOs are not the same as RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))? Back in my ScotRail days we had Ticket Examiners (equivalent to RPOs) who assisted in general revenue duties on guarded routes and carried out revenue duties on DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) routes, as well as manning barriers on non gated platforms. We also had Fraud and Security Officers (equivalent to RPIs) who as well as a random covering of most of the network on an occasional basis carried out intelligence led checks, supported at larger events and worked with the BTP (British Transport Police) on full blocks at unmanned stations and their local major stations (similar to having a full block at RDW and then questioning anyone rolling up to the excess window at RDG(resolve) and asking for a ticket from RDW).

Edited to sort out quote Wink i_b
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 20:48:09 by inspector_blakey » Logged
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2010, 20:51:51 »

My understanding is that if they can issue penalty fares then they are either revenue protection officers or inspectors, depending on the company. I stand to be corrected, but as far as I'm aware there is no difference between an RPO and an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)), just I think that FGW (First Great Western) chooses to call them RPOs. FGW also employs ticket examiners to work trains in driver only territory (e.g. Thames Valley, usually seen on Bicester Town sevices etc) and in the Bristol suburban area to assist with revenue buties on busy trains. These staff are definitely distinct from FGW's RPOs, as they do not have the authority to issue a penalty fare but can only require payment of the full fare due for the journey like a guard.

As a footnote, when BR (British Rail(ways)) first introduced penalty fares their RPIs were working on commission - I have a ticket examiner's handbook from the early 1990s kicking around somewhere at home which gives RPIs instructions for paying in their penalty fare notices to claim their commission. So it's entirely possible that companies that inherited penalty fares from BR have protected the Ts and Cs of thsoe staff, whereas more recent penalty fares schemes like FGW's don't. Just an educated guess though.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2010, 21:26:35 »

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s penalty fare rules have a specific section about PF (Penalty Fare) collector's commission, and there is an upper limit of 5%. 

I believe that 'normal' on train ticket selling by guards etc can earn higher commission on some TOCs (Train Operating Company).

Paul
railwayfan

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2010, 22:03:01 »

ATE's can issue tickets and complete ticket irregularity reports.

RPO's can additionally issue Penalty Fare Notices

RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))'s can additionally caution under PACE» (Police & Criminal Evidence Act - about) (Police & Criminal Evidence Act) and report offences or suspected offences for the consideration of whether to proscecute.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2010, 23:54:57 »

The only difference between an RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) and a RPO/RCO is that one can caution and is PACE» (Police & Criminal Evidence Act - about) trained, the other is not.

RPO/RCOs (and what other name they are called next week) can issue TIRs (Travel Irregularity Report)/MG11s (Form to take a statement for use in court)/PFs (Penalty Fare) just like RPIs. They also get summonsed to court.

But then it also depends on the TOC (Train Operating Company) as well.

Oh and the differences in salary are pretty wide ranging. Heres a random sample.

FGW (First Great Western)
RPI Team Leader (ex FGW Link)   
^33018.00 pa
Senior RPI (ex FGW Link)   
^30953.00 pa
Revenue Inspectors (ex FGW Link)   
^28022.00 pa
Revenue Protection Officer (ex FGW Link)   
^25325.00 pa
Ticket Examiners (ex FGW Link)   
^19636.00 pa

NXEA (National Express East Anglia)
Team Leader   
^26517.00 pa
RPO L1   
^24605.00 pa
RPO L2   
^23525.00 pa

SWT (South West Trains)
Senior RPI   
^32305.00 pa
RPI (ex Supervisor B)   
^29239.00 pa
RPI (ex Supervisor A)   
^29239.00 pa
RPI (ex Ticket Examiner)   
^29239.00 pa
RPA   
^22060.00 pa

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 00:02:15 by SDS pad » Logged

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2010, 00:30:37 »

FGW (First Great Western)
RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) Team Leader (ex FGW Link)   
^33018.00 pa
Senior RPI (ex FGW Link)   
^30953.00 pa
Revenue Inspectors (ex FGW Link)   
^28022.00 pa
Revenue Protection Officer (ex FGW Link)   
^25325.00 pa
Ticket Examiners (ex FGW Link)   
^19636.00 pa

As far as i'm aware there are no longer any senior RPI's or Team leaders as these were replaced by Revenue Standards Managers in 2006, the RSM's were then all displaced last year.

FGW have RPI's who issue PF (Penalty Fare)'s, do MG11 (Form to take a statement for use in court)'s issue tickets etc, RPO's who do PF's, ATE's (2 grades, the ex wessex who are on less than the ex Thames but both I think get commission), There are also a couple of RCI's in the West whos duties appear to be the same as the RPI's but are a management grade, not sure what their sallary is but I think it is actually LESS than bothe RPI's and RPO's!

Gateline staff are now PF trained aswell, well at least some are, I saw a member of staff at Bath wearing an authorised collectors badge the other day.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  

Jump to: