Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 17:48 Exeter St Davids to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 18:25:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenBve and TRS2010 Trainsims, anyone?  (Read 9701 times)
159jim

View Profile Email
« on: November 21, 2010, 18:57:18 »

Has anyone plyed these two Trainsims?

I so, do you like them? and whats your favourite train for them?

Thanks,
Jim.
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:09:15 »

I haven't used either, but I did use RailWorks for a few months with my old computer; this was the best IMO (in my opinion).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:29:21 by standclearplease » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 12:21:12 »

I've not played the two you mention.

I've still got three Siam DOS games which I occassionally play using DOSBox as an emulator under Vista. Works pretty well.

Aller Junction is played for a Saturday in Summer 1955.

The Driver simulation is Bristol to Birmingham New Street with 45/47/50 and HST (High Speed Train) and different train lengths. You chug up Lickey with a 45 going over the top at about 15! AS it's not a 125 line you are constantly in danger of exceeding teh speed limit with an HST

The other is American on around Spokane. It's a CTC simulation over a great length of single track with passing loops. You have to be quite careful the first time I did it I ended up with a stalemate with trains going in the same direction in adjacewnt loops. As there is no facility of reversing a train I was stuck.

Both Aller Junction and the American one can be speeded up but Aller Junction at 600% can get hairy especialy as it's 3 levers to pull for the switch diamond between the Up Torquay and Down Plymouth and the Up and Down  crossovers between main and relief lines towards Newton Abbot.  FPL (Facing Point Lock) to normal to disengauge and one to reverse the crossing then FPL reverse to lock.

But you do get to know your Bell codes. Remembering to change 1-3 Branch passenger from Newton Abbot West to 4 (express) or 3-1 stopper to Torre.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 12:41:19 »

I'd recommend openBVE
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 15:55:27 »

I've played TRS2010, I have it on my PC at home. I've also played TRS2006 which I thought was very good.

It's not the most realistic series of Train Sims as the graphics can go it bit strange sometimes. The junction control and signalling is a nightmare if you let the computer automatically drive the trains, as if you have 3 trains arrive at a junction, all wanting a platform... the results are interesting and often lead to derailment Lips sealed Roll Eyes Shocked Also if you crash 2 trains into each other as I did once by accident (Dad said i'd never make it as a signaller Shocked Cheesy ), they don't derail but join as a complete consist. Another bug is that if you stop a train across a junction, you can drive another train through it Shocked

But on the whole, I found it very easy to use and it was good entertainment.

There is also Rail Simulator by EA, which does feature FGW (First Great Western) stock. It's a much more advanced game with superb graphics which feature passengers actually walking down the platforms (Auran TRS they are static on the platform and just appear/disappear). But I found it quite difficult to use if you wanted to make up your own rolling stock consists or maps. Driving the things is quite realistic too, but it does need a fairly beefy machine to run. I didn't find it as easy to use as the Auran series, but thats possibly because it has so many features.

I haven't played Railworks or OpenBVE so I can't comment on those unfortunately.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 20:46:22 »

after spending a whole weekend modifying vista to take bve 4 (this is a while ago) i couldnt really be bothered to install open.... but i have to say its fun for about 10 mins and then i got bored
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 21:03:39 »

after spending a whole weekend modifying vista to take bve 4 (this is a while ago) i couldnt really be bothered to install open.... but i have to say its fun for about 10 mins and then i got bored

openbve works on vista/7 with no mods
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 01:16:17 »

openbve works on vista/7 with no mods

Indeed it does. Just driven a 158 from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 11:47:04 »

158 and a 31 on BVE, not done much with routes as the video card on my old Pent II is a bit on the slow side with it's refresh rate.  Sad

I'll probably have another go when I eventually get something a bit quicker.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 13:48:50 »

OpenBVE is potentially very good, but almost all routes (all of the ones in the UK (United Kingdom) at least) are currently ports of the BVE4 route.  There's a very promising upgrade of the WCML (West Coast Main Line) from Watford to Rugby and the Cross City line in Birmingham coming along soon, but as they're mostly being developed by computer-savvy enthusiasts it takes an awful long time! 

Updates on those two routes can be found here:

http://www.railsimroutes.co.uk/watford-jn_rugby/index.php

http://www.railsimroutes.co.uk/x-city_south/index.php

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 23:31:20 »

I can't find the link and I nolonger have the file but there is a poorly rendered (to be fair looked unfinished) route covering Plymouth to bodmin
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 01:34:06 »

Why?

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Cruithne3753

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 17:28:07 »

I'd like to know what would be the closest thing to having a "virtual model railway" on my PC...

Matt
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: