Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:15:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for Tavistock reopening  (Read 294770 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 04, 2018, 21:40:37 »

One could be forgiven for thinking that it is being put off until it becomes unaffordable.

I'm sure the developer of the housing project claimed they had not made enough money from the project to build the new railway station?

Personally, I think it does need a railway but I doubt it will happen.  First buses 83, 84 and 86 used to be very good, every 20 minutes, especially nice when the P&R (Park and Ride) Enviro's moved onto the route, since Stagecoach have taken over its been chopped and changed and now there is no more fast bus from Tavistock to Plymouth.

I'm a bit puzzled by your comments.  Stagecoach 1 service (Plymouth to Tavistock) has been every 15 minutes in the core daytime (Monday to Saturday) since Stagecoach took over from First Group.  I use it quite frequently (living not too far from the middle of the route) and its quite a well used service.
Plymboi

View Profile Email
« Reply #586 on: September 20, 2018, 11:04:06 »

These houses are finally going to be built of Callington Road soon.
I wonder if this is indication the railway is edging closer. If provision is being left for the reinstanted rail link.

Read that embankment would have to be altered if used as a single track route. Is that considerable work?
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 09, 2020, 14:48:04 »

The good news is that Devon County Council have announced that they are to bid to the Government's Beeching Reversal Funds for money to take the Tavistock scheme forward.  Devon own around 90% of the trackbed, much of the preparatory work has been done and there is the £11 m or so in s106 developers' contributions from the houses being built around the proposed new station site by Callington Road in Tavistock.  The Government have made it clear that the £500m is to develop proposals, with the clear implication that there will need to be more Government money to make the proposals they accept a reality.  There was a bit on today's Politics South West programme (Okehampton features too) - starts at 09m 30 https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fc3t/politics-south-west-09022020
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 09, 2020, 19:24:02 »

The good news is that Devon County Council have announced that they are to bid to the Government's Beeching Reversal Funds for money to take the Tavistock scheme forward.  Devon own around 90% of the trackbed, much of the preparatory work has been done and there is the £11 m or so in s106 developers' contributions from the houses being built around the proposed new station site by Callington Road in Tavistock.  The Government have made it clear that the £500m is to develop proposals, with the clear implication that there will need to be more Government money to make the proposals they accept a reality.  There was a bit on today's Politics South West programme (Okehampton features too) - starts at 09m 30 https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000fc3t/politics-south-west-09022020

Which would also effectively reduce the gap on the mooted northern route through Okehampton.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 10, 2020, 18:09:33 »

Some good news, thanks.

I strongly believe that If Tavistock happens, Okehampton will happen or vice versa, as the passenger revenue will significantly exceed forecasts (look at the growth on the other SW branch lines).
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 10, 2020, 21:53:57 »

Some good news, thanks.

I strongly believe that If Tavistock happens, Okehampton will happen or vice versa, as the passenger revenue will significantly exceed forecasts (look at the growth on the other SW branch lines).

Thanks.  I think Okehampton will be first.  All eyes on the announcement of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Direct Award to continue running their network from 1 April. 
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 13, 2020, 08:18:52 »

Thanks.  I think Okehampton will be first.  All eyes on the announcement of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Direct Award to continue running their network from 1 April. 

So do I. The challenges are legal rather than engineering and legal.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #592 on: April 19, 2020, 09:23:55 »

Is there a community / campaign group in Tavistock pressing to work with all the various powers that be / interested parties for the re-instatement of the Tavistock - Bere Alston section?  Rather line OkeRail ( https://www.facebook.com/okerail/ ) presses for Okehampton, or the Portishead Railway Group ( https://www.portisheadrailwaygroup.org ) for Portishead, or SaveTheTrain ( http://www.savethetrain.org.uk ) did for Melksham?

Although such groups have only very limited resources to do the actual work, they are community triggers which can help make the case, and help it forward through the various stages. Where a scheme seems at risk of being sidetracked or derailed, the community can bring focus to bear on the ultimate outcome desired. 

Princetown Today reports Transport upgrade backed by Devon County Council:

AN ambituous plan for 110 major transport improvements in the county including utilising the railway line between Tavistock and Bere Alston and a package of small scale improvements on the A386 has been back by Devon County Council.

Last week the county council’s cabinet approved a programme of instructure improvements across the county that can be progressed once the coronavirus outbreak is under control.

It also approved a capital programme of investments of £95-million over the next two years, with over half being spent on the North Devon Link Road improvement scheme.

Of the £95-million of investment, £90.91-million comes from external sources including grants and developer contributions.

Cllr Philip Sanders said: ...

He said reinstating the railway between Tavistock and Bere Alston was still very much on the agenda as the authority had applied for money from the Government’s Beeching Reversal Fund to look into its feasibility but the council was also looking at other sustainable travel options between Tavistock to Bere Alston as the costs had now risen to in the region of £100-million.

Bere Alston to Tavistock seeems to have been under discussion for nearly a decade and a half - see my notes at http://www.passenger.chat/790 from October 2007 ... and to find us here in 2020 still in a "what's the best way, folks - cycles or trains" analysis, with a scheme for cycles being promted / pushed and still competing for funds to look at the rail option is, frankly, depressing.  Unless the reader knows better - I'm just reading an articl from a local rag, and online finding only a Facebook Group which - though interesting - has content that's more reminiscences that community campaign.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 19, 2020, 12:35:44 »

No, there isn't a community group (yet), Graham, and I think there are probably two main reasons why - 1) the scheme has the support of Devon County Council and they are taking it forward (though it has stalled in the last two or so years due to money) and 2) the deal about the new houses had a lot of opposition in Tavistock.  The houses, of course, got approved and (I think - I've not seen the site for a while) building has started.  I know, and you'll have seen it on that Facebook group, that there is a lot of frustration that the houses are happening but the railway isn't, yet at least.

All the focus at Devon County Council is on getting the Government to approve Bere Alston - Tavistock as a heavy rail reopening under the Beeching Reversal Fund.  To me, if the Beeching Reversal Fund is actually going to rebuild and reopen closed railways, Tavistock has got to be right up there among the top half a dozen schemes across the country.  So much of the land has been assembled and so much of the preparatory work has been done.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 19, 2020, 18:55:10 »

Completely agree.

I wonder how much an independent assessment of the costings involved will be? I would happily contribute towards this as  I suspect Network Rail routinely inflate the costs of any project they don’t wish to get involved with.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 19:08:13 by Umberleigh » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #595 on: October 05, 2023, 01:38:54 »

From Totnes Today

A long-awaited vital decision to reinstate a rail link between Tavistock and Bere Alston, completing a line to Plymouth, has been announced today and welcomed as a 'huge boost to the economy and people's lives'.

After the expected announcement of the scrapping of the multi-billion pound HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) line by the Prime Minister, a newly-created Government body called Network North has said funds will be released to improve the rail network across the country.

This includes the Tavistock to Bere Alston line which has been welcomed by West Devon leaders as a huge boost to investment and the economy and to improve access to health and education and tourism.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #596 on: October 05, 2023, 07:14:27 »

Looking at the map for ou local TV news on this, and as seen above, why is there a link from Bere Alston, thus making Tavistock and Gunnislake branches.
Why not link Tavistock to Gunnislake?

Reminds me of splitting at Georgemas.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #597 on: October 05, 2023, 08:25:29 »

Looking at the map for ou local TV news on this, and as seen above, why is there a link from Bere Alston, thus making Tavistock and Gunnislake branches.
Why not link Tavistock to Gunnislake?

Reminds me of splitting at Georgemas.

[:laugh:] - look at the physical geography.

A Georgemas style operation would mean that trains from Plymouth would reverse up and down to Gunnislake before carrying on to Tavistock ... I think that has already been ruled out; I have seen interesting suggestions before.

But this is just a promise at this stage.  And as we saw yesterday, this government is capable of breaking promises.   The £2 bus fare extension from the end of this month is probably safe until the next election, but as for most of the rest ...  my thoughts

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #598 on: October 05, 2023, 16:51:15 »

So - should this go ahead, how will services work? a la Georgemas Junction or splitting trains at Bere Alston or...reversing at Gunnislake to Bere & then onto Tavistock? If I was in a RUG» (Rail User Group - about) at Gunnislake, I might have a concern or two.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: October 05, 2023, 17:06:24 »

So - should this go ahead, how will services work? a la Georgemas Junction or splitting trains at Bere Alston or...reversing at Gunnislake to Bere & then onto Tavistock? If I was in a RUG» (Rail User Group - about) at Gunnislake, I might have a concern or two.

The strong message from the Cornish side is that they want to retain their through Plymouth trains so the plan is for the Gunnislake service to be similar to now with an hourly Plymouth - Tavistock service overlaid on top.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41
  Print  

Jump to: