Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:49:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Last train - Pilning to Wales: October 29, 2016
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Pilning - the station, services, viability and closure of down platform - ongoing discussion  (Read 102655 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2016, 22:17:05 »

They were using up surplus stock.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2016, 11:49:13 »

I was on the last service on the Epping Ongar branch, some 22 years ago.  Rather a lot of detonators if I remember...

I was there a week or two before the axe fell.  I'm sure the other two people on the train were there for the ride like me as they didn't leave Ongar station either.  No wonder it closed.

It seems we waver between closing things too easily and quickly, and hanging on to redundant infrastructure well past any foreseeable further use. I am not a likely user of Pilning station: is anyone (other than those that like to catch trains from 'rare' stations)? If not, why not get on and remove it from the network?  There are plenty of openings/re-openings demanding resources more likely to be of profit (not only monetary).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2016, 16:36:32 »

It seems we waver between closing things too easily and quickly, and hanging on to redundant infrastructure well past any foreseeable further use. I am not a likely user of Pilning station: is anyone (other than those that like to catch trains from 'rare' stations)? If not, why not get on and remove it from the network? 

The formal process for closing a section of line or station is so complex these days that there's [educated guess] a handful of stations on the network that are (frankly) not going to be use nor ornament in the foreseeable future.  But then there are other stations with similarly low passenger numbers which, given a decent service, would fulfill a much more useful role ... or given a planned or projected development would have a new lease of life.  So those could be of use in the future, and there's a bit of an issue in sorting out which are the "no hope"s, which are the "maybe"s, which are "future potential" and which are "why the heck haven't people been told about this".

What is rather unfortunate (IMHO (in my humble opinion)) is that the closure procedure is so frightening these days that there's been a number of 'closures by stealth' - no consultation, but no effective service remaining.  Each may be a 'special case' and they're at different  process stages ... but think Norton Bridge, Newhaven Marine, Barlaston, Polesworth, Watford West, Denton, Sinfin.  Are those all logical closures?    The casual reader may say "yes" ... but I've sneaked Watford West into that list which was closed without proper closure - shrunken service, became a bus then (I think) a 6 a.m. taxi, but is now being rebuilt, reopened, rejeuvanted.

I don't live in or near Pilning.   Like most people, I have never used it.  But what I do see is a consultation that seems to have been internal rail industry only ... potentially closure by stealth.   It would - at current traffic levels - be an exceptionally poor investment to replace the foot bridge to the international departure platform with a new, disabled-friendly one.  But then it would be silly to end up with no station there if some of the development I've seen talked about / park and ride possibilities now that Parkway is squeaking for space should happen.  Problem is that the decision process, going past the point of "difficult to return" hasn't been advertised and transparent.

Edit because I had included one station twice in my list!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 17:38:25 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2016, 18:08:37 »

I'm guessing there might be two problems from ToCs pov with proper consultation: expense, and that it's very easy for people to say they'll use a putative service but harder for them to actually GOTA and catch the train.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2016, 20:11:18 »

I'm guessing there might be two problems from ToCs pov with proper consultation: expense, and that it's very easy for people to say they'll use a putative service but harder for them to actually GOTA and catch the train.

There are - thank goodness - all sorts of optimism factors built in to forecasting models in an attempt to be realistic; in practise, indeed,modelling comes in distinctly on the negative side.

You correctly identify the expense and hassle of a 'proper' closure test.  It's right that it shouldn't be easy to close something until the avenues have been explored, but when that exploration is so contorted that it leads to what's been described as 'closure by stealth', it's a sign of a system that'n not working.   And indeed, the expense and hassle of closing something are somewhat of a barrier to re-openings, although the 1984 Speller Act for five year trials with a simplified closure procedure if the trial hasn't worked has been a lifeline for many stations and services at the restart point.   Mind you, we lost a service in May at the end of the five years - since to continue it would have meant it couldn't easily be withdrawn at a future date.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2016, 10:42:52 »

I'm unconvinced that Pilning is worth saving (but admit that I don't really know) but clearly the closure by stealth, and in fact the whole Parliamentary station concept, is no good for anyone. The fact that it does seem easier/cheaper for ToCs to do this than have a proper, open inquiry followed by either total closure or a decent service does seem to indicate that procedures are not right, neither in closing nor opening stations.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2016, 11:10:24 »

I'm unconvinced that Pilning is worth saving (but admit that I don't really know) but clearly the closure by stealth, and in fact the whole Parliamentary station concept, is no good for anyone. The fact that it does seem easier/cheaper for ToCs to do this than have a proper, open inquiry followed by either total closure or a decent service does seem to indicate that procedures are not right, neither in closing nor opening stations.

I quite agree that it's no good for anyone and farcical that money is being spent on the upkeep of, say Polesworth, where there's just the one call a day but quite a long platform that needs lighting, cleaning, maintaining and posters updated and so on, for a handful of passengers a year.  However, it's good that legislation to close a station is so complicated that it's not worth it otherwise TOC (Train Operating Company)'s would probably want to close hundreds of lightly used stations which provide a lifeline for local communities but would never make any money - compare the handful of Parliamentary stations across the country with the wide-scale culling of rural buses in Oxfordshire later this month, where it seems that, without any recourse, scores of local villages are having there bus services completely removed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2016, 14:50:41 »

This subject has been discussed out on the Coffee Shop forum, in more than one topic, in the past: I'd be happy to move and merge such discussions into one definitive topic (without it needing to reach any particular conclusion, obviously!), if we're all happy with that?

Yes, please Chris - now that we've established that there are very real issues with continining to provide a (usable) train service at Pilning.   You're the merge expert - I'll leave it to you as I often struggle to do it.

Well, I really did walk into that one, didn't I?  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Now done: I've moved and merged three topics into this one here.  I've chosen to put this combined topic in our 'campaigns' board, simply because many of the previous posts show some clear feeling that the train service(s) at Pilning should be 'improved'.

However, we can now continue to debate that here, in this ongoing discussion.  Wink

For whatever my opinion is worth, though: I rather reluctantly have to agree with John R in his post above.  Sad

As this topic continues to be debated on the Coffee Shop forum, I've now moved a discussion of the closure of the Pilning down platform and merged it here - simply in the interests of continuity and ease of future reference.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2016, 15:26:57 »

I quite agree that it's no good for anyone and farcical that money is being spent on the upkeep of, say Polesworth, where there's just the one call a day but quite a long platform that needs lighting, cleaning, maintaining and posters updated and so on, for a handful of passengers a year.  However, it's good that legislation to close a station is so complicated that it's not worth it otherwise TOC (Train Operating Company)'s would probably want to close hundreds of lightly used stations which provide a lifeline for local communities but would never make any money - compare the handful of Parliamentary stations across the country with the wide-scale culling of rural buses in Oxfordshire later this month, where it seems that, without any recourse, scores of local villages are having there bus services completely removed.
Fair point that TOCs shouldn't be able to close stations at the drop of a hat, but what I want to say is that if a station is not being kept open with a reasonable service, it should be closed. The process of closing it should be preceded by extensive, well advertised consultations while a decent service continues. Then either close it down completely or carry on. Parliamentary services are a waste of everyone's time and money.

And yet... the point has been made that sometimes Parly stas act as a sort of mothballing from which it's easy to rejuvenate a station when circumstances change, eg major new developments. So...  Undecided

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2016, 23:43:42 »

- compare the handful of Parliamentary stations across the country with the wide-scale culling of rural buses in Oxfordshire later this month, where it seems that, without any recourse, scores of local villages are having there bus services completely removed.

The former young Miss FT, N! lives in Carterton, adjacent to RAF (Royal Air Force) Brize Norton. Mrs FT, N! visits occasionally on child minding duties. The normal route is - was - train BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to SWI» (Swindon - next trains) then bus. The problem is that the bus begins its journey in Wiltshire, then serves destinations in Gloucestershire before proceeding into Oxfordshire. That gives three possible funding authorities. Any one dropping out will kill the service. As has happened. As Mrs FT, N! does not drive, then in the absence of someone collecting her from SWI, the alternative will be a much longer journey via OXF» (Oxford - next trains). That said, I have done the bus trip once, and was the only passenger after Highworth, something I am told is far from unusual. Must cost a fortune.

The more likely solution will involve me and the FT, N!mobile spending my retirement on or near the M4...

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2016, 07:48:48 »

Something I hadn't noticed before - a new footbridge at Brigg Station, which has some similarities to Pilning - low-use Saturday only trains, two platforms ...  the newspaper article here is about increased station use rather than the bridge, but I couldn't help noticing than shiny bridge;   looks like a complete new structure, and I suspect there's room for overhead wiring underneath it.

http://www.marketrasenmail.co.uk/news/local/rail-walk-at-brigg-1-7502634?

further research leads to a story from last year (Feb 2015):

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/row-erupts-disabled-access-station-bridge/story-25978267-detail/story.html

He said: "I have already taken it up with Network Rail to ask why the bridge is only like-for-like and isn't disabled friendly.

"I am pleased they are proposing to replace it, but it would be better if they replaced it with a more accessible bridge."

The plans – as well as a perceived lack of consultation by Network Rail – have come under criticism from the Friends of the Brigg and Lincoln Lines.

Paul Johnson, chairman of the group, said: "We should be delighted that we are getting this new footbridge, but we have had no consultation whatsoever from Network Rail.

Just adding a comparison case in to this thread - it's very difficult to justify large investments in low-use stations, even where the station has been there since Victorian times and it's just an investment to keep it available.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2016, 17:18:59 »

From The Gazette:

RAIL CAMPAIGNERS and residents of Pilning gathered at the village’s rail station this week to urge for the replacement of a platform footbridge.

Leading the campaign to save the bridge are Pilning and Severn Beach parish councillors as well as Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways (FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways)), both of whom fear for the future of the station, should one of its two platforms be shut down.

The meeting, which took place on Monday, follows last month’s announcement by Network Rail that as part of the electrification works for the line that connections Paddington-to-Cardiff, they would be demolishing the footbridge that connects the station with its westbound platform, a move that would subsequently close the platform itself.

etc.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2016, 18:57:47 »

I was at Pilning today to catch one of the last westbound trains.

I was the only one joining, but two got off.

A large poster advertises the changes to the service

« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 19:32:57 by bobm » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2016, 08:22:04 »

Video from yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/PilningSevernParishCouncil/videos/1168164809907482

A still captured from that video (with permission):

I would strongly encourage Bristol / FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) / Pilning 'lurkers' on this form to register (if not already registered) and login to add your own 'take' on Bristol and wider events.

Whilst I can (and will on occasions) post news that comes to me as messages / emails, we do provide facilities here for free public posting on subjects just such as this. Neither I nor the rest of the moderator / admin team really has the time to be everyone's personal assistant for routinely cutting and pasting contributions. We are not like a normal newspaper / radio show where (yes) you do have to submit by email for them to use.

Think about it - you get to describe things in your own words, your own editorial decisions, and your own timing of what you post. And by setting up notifications, you can trigger email alerts to inform you when a follow up has been posted so that you don't even have to visit us on a very frequent basis.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2016, 16:37:21 »

Journey planners are showing Wales bound trains calling at Pilning on the 22nd and 29th October (the two Saturdays after the Severn Tunnel blockade) and the poster at the station - shown above - shows changes from 5th November.  So are there two more trains?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: