Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 10:20:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[75] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[73] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[72] Is any one attending the TWSW(friday)?
[68] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Last train - Pilning to Wales: October 29, 2016
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Pilning - the station, services, viability and closure of down platform - ongoing discussion  (Read 103686 times)
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 21:49:42 »

Why did it call? And who many boarded/got off? Not that I'm complaining or anything! Wink
John R

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 22:37:46 »

http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1540

If you'll permit the link to another site, this shows the first day of operation of the newly enhanced Pilning (Severn Gateway) Parkway.
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 10:34:24 »

Grin Thanks for that John! If only...

If there was ever a Pilning campaign for service improvement website, that photo might be there somewhere!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 10:42:16 »

John R

What actually happened? Presumably a tunnel bound train failed and passengers were put on the next train back to Parkway. Good job it wasn't a 150/8 coming out of the tunnel.

How did they move the High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) presumably the following service could have used used the freight loop to bypass it. Nice bit of rare track if you were on one of those.

It's how the TOCs (Train Operating Company) and Networkrail respond to incidents like this that shows how good or bad they are at running the railway.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 15:04:00 by VickiS » Logged
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 11:03:58 »

A tunnel bound train failed near Filton Abbey Wood (not on that line of course, but near the junction) - was put in the goods loop and then dunno what happened - it passed Newport 140 down though!
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 19:38:21 »

Not a major topic, but I'm interested in everyones opinion on Pilning.

Is it really worth this station being open with just 1 service a week?  On a Saturday!!  Huh

I live in Severn Beach and Pilning would provide a much quicker link to South Wales and Bristol Parkway, rather than going in and out of BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))!  I would love a meaningful service at this station.

What are your views here?

Here, there and Everywhere!!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 19:59:11 »

You may be surprised, BristolBlogger, that a small station like Pilning can nevertheless generate a wide variety of very strongly held opinions!

There's been a lot of discussion on this subject in two previous topics on this forum, so I've now taken the opportunity to merge them with this one (keeping the posts in chronological order, and retaining their original headings), for continuity.

Chris  Wink Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 23:05:51 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 20:09:51 »

Didn't see much use when I was there!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 20:17:49 »

This was discussed at length some months ago (before you joined us). I think views are divided. I can see the merits of a Parkway station (though that was what Bristol Parkway was for in the days when it was in fields and easy to get to) to railhead for South Wales. Maybe with an access road off the M4/M49 junction it could work, especially as it comes just before the tolls and the congested stretch of the M4 at Newport.

Though from a practical perspective the line is fairly much at capacity, so having additional services stopping at Pilning would be a further capacity constraint. And if it were successful then I'm not sure the trains themselves have much capacity for more passengers.  
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 21:35:08 »

I believe there is a relief line that runs around the back of pilning station on the approach to the tunnel.

It wouldn't cost too much to platform this line, so that trains could stop at the station more often, and not disturb the faster services, would it???

If Pilning doesn't work, and it would cause to much disruption/not profitable, then surely its best just to close the station?

John R

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2008, 21:43:37 »

I believe there is a relief line that runs around the back of pilning station on the approach to the tunnel.

It wouldn't cost too much to platform this line, so that trains could stop at the station more often, and not disturb the faster services, would it???

If Pilning doesn't work, and it would cause to much disruption/not profitable, then surely its best just to close the station?

Indeed and both goods lines are currently being upgraded to passenger use as part of the Newport Resignalling Scheme to provide more flexibility.  (The up relief stops short of the station though.) Unfortunately in the railway world, everything costs a fortune. Gone are the days when a platform could be put up for ^25k and a new station opened. Nothing seems to come in at under ^2m these days. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 23:32:12 »

Unfortunately, it's not quite as simple as that.

A railway station can be left with just one service per week, if only to avoid that station being subject to a statutory 'closure' process (with all the attendant bad publicity).  And if that station were to be 'closed', but a TOC (Train Operating Company) then wanted to resume services at some future date, it would need the formal process of 're-opening' the station (with a repeat of all the previous bad publicity over why it had been closed).

Vacman has covered this in a previous post, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=814.msg3326#msg3326 and Andrew Griffiths gave the same argument at a FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) meeting in Bristol that I attended, on 12 July this year.  Andrew was quite emphatic that there would be no closure of Pilning Station, for this very reason.

Basically, it's far easier to maintain even a notional service at a station, if only to keep it 'open', rather than to stop services altogether.

As an aside, one could speculate whether such considerations may have influenced the decision to cut (but not stop altogether!) services to Melksham, for example.  And perhaps that's why the long-running campaign to re-open Corsham Station has faced so many obstacles?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 08:14:37 »

Actually, Chris - Melksham Station has already been through the whole formal closure and then reopening process - which is why it's particularly galling for old codgers like me who campaigned once to have it reopened, only to see a subsequent TOC (Train Operating Company) doing it's damndest to shut the blooming thing down once again.

Here's the cover of a "Souvenir issue" of the local paper dating back to when the station was reopened with much fanfare in May 1985. As it says, "An historic day - the first station closed by Beeching to be reopened" (this is one of only a handful of claims to fame that Melksham has, so it's not surprising that we tend to set great store by it locally!)

http://www.terrascope.co.uk/images/MelkshamStationReopening.jpg

Jez

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2008, 20:26:52 »

Dont see much point in keep this station open to be honest with only 1 train per week.

Even it if it was 1 train per day in each direction it would be more worthwhile.
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2008, 20:44:20 »

I agree Jez.  If they have to it open for operartional reasons, then there is no harm in increasing the service to at least 1 or 2 trains in each direction a day!

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: