27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 06:43:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 592345 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: August 22, 2020, 08:05:26 »

"Rail project runs years behind schedule and way over budget".......who'd have thought it? 🤦‍♂️

There is a reason ..........  Grin

Railway Engineers over the las 2 centauries have learnt to tell the Politicians and their supporting Civil Servants what they want to hear they not like hearing the accurate facts; so the Railway Engineers knowing something will take 10 years to build will agree with the Politicians and Civil Servants who want it done in 8. 

The UK (United Kingdom) works in a 4 year political cycle - 6 months post election to get their act together, 2 years euphoria try to meet their manifesto and then 2 years try to set themselves up for the next general election and then year 5 of the Parliament is electioneering.

In reality things get achieved in the first 2 1/2 years, nothing controversial gets done in the next 2.

Where as Railway Engineering has a 20+ year plan

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 22, 2020, 10:59:01 »

"Rail project runs years behind schedule and way over budget".......who'd have thought it? 🤦‍♂️

Railway Engineers over the las 2 centauries have learnt to tell the Politicians and their supporting Civil Servants what they want to hear they not like hearing the accurate facts; so the Railway Engineers knowing something will take 10 years to build will agree with the Politicians and Civil Servants who want it done in 8. 

The UK (United Kingdom) works in a 4 year political cycle - 6 months post election to get their act together, 2 years euphoria try to meet their manifesto and then 2 years try to set themselves up for the next general election and then year 5 of the Parliament is electioneering.

In reality things get achieved in the first 2 1/2 years, nothing controversial gets done in the next 2.

Interesting anecdote - I'd love to see the evidence!

Does the same philosophy apply to costs? "Yes of course we can deliver HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) for £36 billion!"  Roll Eyes

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 22, 2020, 12:29:52 »

This is an interesting article and associated research paper showing how common overruns and cost escalations are in all sectors, not just rail:

https://www.taxpayersalliance.com/cost_overruns_of_major_government_projects

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 22, 2020, 18:14:14 »

This is an interesting article and associated research paper showing how common overruns and cost escalations are in all sectors, not just rail:

Interesting indeed - I note that rail projects had by far the highest average cost escalation (page 4) and the organisation you cite have produced a lot of interesting articles on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) as well, which dwarfs most of the others in terms of cost overrun;

https://www.taxpayersalliance.com/scrap_hs2
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 22, 2020, 18:30:19 »

Yes indeed, they’ve put an awful lot of effort into trying to stop the HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) project over the years.  So far to no avail.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 23, 2020, 09:44:28 »

Interesting anecdote - I'd love to see the evidence!

Does the same philosophy apply to costs? "Yes of course we can deliver HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) for £36 billion!"  Roll Eyes

Yes because time to build equates to cost, you can never tell a politician and civil servant taht yes we can build it in half the time but it will cost twice as much

Interesting indeed - I note that rail projects had by far the highest average cost escalation (page 4) and the organisation you cite have produced a lot of interesting articles on HS2 as well, which dwarfs most of the others in terms of cost overrun;

I think it says a lot about how UK PLC goes about its public work, there is still the Victorian philosophy that private finance should be raised with no State funding

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 23, 2020, 17:18:57 »

Interesting indeed - I note that rail projects had by far the highest average cost escalation (page 4) and the organisation you cite have produced a lot of interesting articles on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) as well, which dwarfs most of the others in terms of cost overrun;

The taxpayers alliance is a shadowy extreme right wing lobby group whose funding is a closely guarded secret.  I am not sure how much weight I would put on any so called research they publish. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 24, 2020, 06:54:10 »

The taxpayers alliance is a shadowy extreme right wing lobby group whose funding is a closely guarded secret.  I am not sure how much weight I would put on any so called research they publish. 

Right wing for sure, but describing the Taxpayers Alliance as "Shadowy Extreme right wing" puts them in the same bracket as neo Nazi groups which is a little silly, although I get that it's being used pejoratively.

Messenger shooting aside however, which data/findings from the report cited by II are you challenging exactly?

Much of it seems to come from HM Treasury commissioned studies, the NAO and the like.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 24, 2020, 08:19:35 »

Much of it seems to come from HM Treasury commissioned studies, the NAO and the like.

The number of references to other taxpayers alliance report is notable.  I would not trust the references to NAO reports without checking whether they had properly used the evidence in those reports.

Right wing for sure, but describing the Taxpayers Alliance as "Shadowy Extreme right wing" puts them in the same bracket as neo Nazi groups which is a little silly, although I get that it's being used pejoratively.

How would you describe an organisation that has seems to be well funded but does not say where it comes from and puts forward ultra right wing libertarian economic views similar to the extreme right in the USA? Indeed it has been shown to have links to such organisations. Like them they also oppose policies designed to combat climate change. 

I am not saying there is no truth in anything they write, but I would consider what they say with extreme caution. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 24, 2020, 09:15:55 »

I did consider whether I should post a link to a Taxpayers Alliance report as I’ve been critical of them before and I was fairly confident TG wouldn’t be able to stop himself from picking up his HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) bone again.

I decided I would as it seemed to be one of their more balanced pieces, and demonstrated that whilst the railways are probably the worst offender when it comes to overspending and delays on initial major project costs, they are by no means alone. 

Some of the projects, such as the primary school refurbishment one, I’d never even heard of.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 24, 2020, 09:43:14 »

I did consider whether I should post a link to a Taxpayers Alliance report as I’ve been critical of them before and I was fairly confident TG wouldn’t be able to stop himself from picking up his HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) bone again.

I decided I would as it seemed to be one of their more balanced pieces, and demonstrated that whilst the railways are probably the worst offender when it comes to overspending and delays on initial major project costs, they are by no means alone. 

Some of the projects, such as the primary school refurbishment one, I’d never even heard of.

The ability to acknowledge that organisations with which you don't generally agree can on occasions be correct or at least add value is a sign of a strong intellect II, (and on that basis I'll forgive the ad hominem, which detracts from it!) 😉
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1391 on: October 02, 2020, 20:05:16 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

London's Crossrail project will be "shut down" without an additional ?1.1bn, transport bosses have said.

Papers from a Transport for London (TfL» (Transport for London - about)) finance committee meeting say the issue has become "increasingly critical" as the project "will soon have committed all of its funds".

The route - known as the Elizabeth Line - was initially due to open in December 2018 but has faced numerous delays.

TfL said discussions about funding were taking place with the government.

In July, the Crossrail board said the line's central section, from Paddington to Abbey Wood, was not expected to be ready until "the first half of 2022" while more funding could also be needed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 03, 2020, 10:39:34 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

London's Crossrail project will be "shut down" without an additional ?1.1bn, transport bosses have said.

Papers from a Transport for London (TfL» (Transport for London - about)) finance committee meeting say the issue has become "increasingly critical" as the project "will soon have committed all of its funds".

The route - known as the Elizabeth Line - was initially due to open in December 2018 but has faced numerous delays.

TfL said discussions about funding were taking place with the government.

In July, the Crossrail board said the line's central section, from Paddington to Abbey Wood, was not expected to be ready until "the first half of 2022" while more funding could also be needed.

I guess in the "new normal" there's a discussion to be had about whether it's still justifiable to be pouring more and more money into a scheme for which demand is likely to be far lower than was originally anticipated, but notwithstanding that, the financial situation and delays are ridiculous.

Nice trains though, and TfL have given Taplow a much enhanced service, as well as an improved station environment and ever friendly staff!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 03, 2020, 16:33:43 »

I guess in the "new normal" there's a discussion to be had about whether it's still justifiable to be pouring more and more money into a scheme for which demand is likely to be far lower than was originally anticipated, but notwithstanding that, the financial situation and delays are ridiculous.

But what have you got if you don't put more money in?  You can't send it back and get a refund on what is spent.  So in economic terms the question is whether the whole benefit of completing the scheme is worth the extra ?1 billion or so?  Not whether the benefit is worth all that will have been spent. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: October 03, 2020, 17:04:21 »

But what have you got if you don't put more money in?  You can't send it back and get a refund on what is spent.  So in economic terms the question is whether the whole benefit of completing the scheme is worth the extra ?1 billion or so?  Not whether the benefit is worth all that will have been spent. 

As I said, there's a discussion to be had, but there clearly needs to be more accountability for these projects which vastly exceed budgets and timings.

I suspect, given the usual railway form, some years (more likely decades) down the line, we will be facing similar discussions over massive cost increases/time overruns with HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) - in the case of cost of course, we already are.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: