Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:35:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 586979 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: December 31, 2016, 09:02:24 »

"In tests the front high-speed rail carriage proved itself equal to the variable British weather."

Buzz. Exaggeration...

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 31, 2016, 09:12:48 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Crossrail carriage passes extreme-weather tests

Extreme weather conditions have proved no match for Crossrail engineers whose train carriage has passed three weeks of rigorous testing.

Snowy, windy and foggy conditions, as well as temperatures ranging from -25C (-13F) to 40C (104F), were simulated in a climatic wind tunnel in Vienna.

In tests the front high-speed rail carriage proved itself equal to the variable British weather.

Crossrail will open in 2017 linking 40 stations in London and the South East.

Named the Elizabeth Line in honour of the Queen, it is due to open in May.

Operations director Howard Smith said: "It's important that we check that the new trains can operate in anything that the changing British weather can throw at them and it won't be long before our customers will be able to get on board a train."

Weather simulations tested the heating, ventilation, air-conditioning system, windscreen wipers, demister, train horns and traction motors.

The carriage, built by Bombardier Transportation in Derby, has returned to London for night testing.

The problems will come when the trains enter the tunnels, as Eurostar found out a few years ago.  Passing the environmental temperature changes is one thing entering a warm tunnel laden with snow and ice is another

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 19, 2017, 15:25:17 »

This should please 'CJB666'

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/01/19/crossrail-in-chaos-as-me-work-ripped-out/

Whether 'chaos', 'meltdown' and 'denial' are accurate will become clearer in time I'm sure...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #753 on: January 19, 2017, 15:40:25 »

And wveryone is screaming for TfL» (Transport for London - about) to take over suburban lines as they can handle major projects.....yeah, right
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 19, 2017, 23:26:23 »

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/01/19/crossrail-in-chaos-as-me-work-ripped-out/

Whether 'chaos', 'meltdown' and 'denial' are accurate will become clearer in time I'm sure...

Is there an English translation for this article? M&E?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 20, 2017, 07:10:50 »

M & E I assume they mean mechanical & electrical which is lifts, escalators, pumps, ventilation, aircon, fans. lighting, heating, electrical power etc

As this is one of the last major parts of the install when budgets get tight because the pervious parts the project have blown the budget often M & E items have to be reduced in scope and are stated on drawings as "future provision"

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 20, 2017, 10:04:27 »

M & E = Mechanical and Electrical.
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 20, 2017, 10:40:55 »

- Someone has screwed up on the wiring plans for Crossrail
- Electricians are being laid off whilst they get to grips with it
- Completed work is having to be ripped out so that it can be started again
- The project could be delayed months whilst it's sorted out

However, there are a couple of things that make me wonder about the accuracy of this:
1) Isn't the whole Crossrail project supposed to have been computer modeled down to the last screw and bolt? can't believe that modelling wouldn't include wiring.
2) Hasn't there been a history of industrial unrest with the electricians, so maybe someone is making a mountain out a molehill?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 20, 2017, 16:23:11 »

- Someone has screwed up on the wiring plans for Crossrail
- Electricians are being laid off whilst they get to grips with it
- Completed work is having to be ripped out so that it can be started again
- The project could be delayed months whilst it's sorted out

However, there are a couple of things that make me wonder about the accuracy of this:
1) Isn't the whole Crossrail project supposed to have been computer modeled down to the last screw and bolt? can't believe that modelling wouldn't include wiring.
2) Hasn't there been a history of industrial unrest with the electricians, so maybe someone is making a mountain out a molehill?

1) yes but if the install contractor does not use LSF cable and wiring (LSF low smoke & fume) for example
2) Electricians for install work like this are at a premium high demand due to all the construction work in the London area so it can be difficult to hire in the quantity and quality needed

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 23, 2017, 10:42:21 »

The problems will come when the trains enter the tunnels, as Eurostar found out a few years ago.  Passing the environmental temperature changes is one thing entering a warm tunnel laden with snow and ice is another

agree.  But I would hope that temperature changes are part of the tests as well.  The refrigerated chamber in the photo looks like it has IR heat lamps in the wall.  I assume that they freeze the train up then turn on the lamps to stimulate  a rapid thaw.   
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #760 on: January 23, 2017, 21:48:45 »

... or indeed, to simulate a rapid thaw.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 23, 2017, 22:19:02 »

... or indeed, to simulate a rapid thaw.  Wink

I would expect - and hope - that such a test use real ice, and raise the actual temperature so the ice really melts (or thaws) to water. No simulation there. It would also be a better simulation if the air temperature could be raised very fast by in effect changing the air for new air stored outside, not by radiant heat, and I suspect any IR lamps are for some other purpose.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #762 on: January 23, 2017, 22:23:15 »

Fair comment.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
CJB666

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 30, 2017, 11:24:47 »

"An extensive programme of work for Crossrail was delivered on the existing railway by Network Rail over Christmas. These works included the opening of a second ramp for the Stockley Flyover at Heathrow junction and a new dive under at Acton; bringing into use an extended bay platform at Hayes & Harlington, to allow Great Eastern Railway to bring in more new electric trains; track upgrades at Maidenhead and Shenfield; and platform extension work at West Ealing, Southall and Hayes & Harlington."

Er - the bay platform 5 at Hayes as been in use for years - likely over 100 years.

Er - is Great Eastern Railway - a new franchise?

Meanwhile H&H Station remains a building site with no sign of progress for over a year. Maybe it was demolished a tad early?

P.S. To the moderators I wonder if its an idea to have a separate section for Crossrail?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #764 on: January 30, 2017, 11:37:55 »

"bringing into use an extended bay platform at Hayes & Harlington..."

Er - the bay platform 5 at Hayes as been in use for years - likely over 100 years.

That's not what they said, is it?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: