Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:29:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587040 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #900 on: July 04, 2017, 20:28:00 »

Confirmation elsewhere that Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services)/contactless will be available for these trains, along with, I understand, HEX.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 04, 2017, 21:09:10 »

I'm intrigued to know how that will work, given the differential pricing for HEx. Though I can imagine anything that makes the cost of HEx less transparent would be attractive to the airport.
Chris125

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 04, 2017, 21:53:27 »

These must be diverted surely? THey can't get any more through the core area, can they?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the core is only getting 24tph under current plans, if need be that can be increased - I think up to 30tph has been mentioned.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 04, 2017, 23:09:24 »

I'm intrigued to know how that will work, given the differential pricing for HEx. Though I can imagine anything that makes the cost of HEx less transparent would be attractive to the airport.
Differential PAYG (Pay as you go) pricing works on Gatwick Express now.  It uses the dedicated platform barriers at the Victoria end of the route to determine the fare to charge.  So they could use the same platforms and barriers for both HEx and Crossrail at Heathrow, as long as HEx kept its dedicated platforms at Paddington.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 04, 2017, 23:47:46 »

I suspect the Greater Western franchisee would be happy if platforms 6-9 are barriered at Paddington to facilitate Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) usage on HeX.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #905 on: July 05, 2017, 06:11:19 »

Or the differential is charged only on HEX 1st class, and they give it up in STD? It is a possibility
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 05, 2017, 21:16:19 »

Or the differential is charged only on HEX 1st class, and they give it up in STD? It is a possibility

Or HEX actually becomes all First Class, this is certainly the case with the direct rail service from Rome to the airport(o)  Grin yet the train is bog standard one just non stop.  By HEX being all first class and their eventual through running to Reading they should make some money, HEX Padd - Heathrom 15 min Crossrail nearer 30 bussiness travellers will thak HEX

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 14, 2017, 10:12:26 »

As well as the previously announced Terminal 5 service, TfL have now announced that there will be four trains per hour running through to Reading and six trains per hour to Maidenhead. 

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/tfl-to-enhance-frequency-on-the-elizabeth-line

An increase of two trains per hour in each case.  I presume that means GWR (Great Western Railway) will no longer be running a relief line service twice per hour as originally intended as there will not be any room for them now, surely?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #908 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:46 »

How long ago is 'originally'? I thought GWR (Great Western Railway) were only going to run semi-fast & fast services, mainly on the main lines once Crossrail (originally) was fully up & running? Once Crossrail was running through to Reading (when I base my 'originally' on), the Maidenheads & Readings were the main services.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 14, 2017, 10:52:32 »

Up until this announcement a 2tph relief line service was expected between Reading and Paddington operated by GWR (Great Western Railway) calling at Twyford, Maidenhead, Slough, Hayes (off-peak only) and Ealing Broadway.

http://74f85f59f39b887b696f-ab656259048fb93837ecc0ecbcf0c557.r23.cf3.rackcdn.com/assets/library/document/c/original/crossrail_service_pattern-reading_to_central_london_aug_2016.pdf

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #910 on: July 14, 2017, 11:01:01 »

Thats the semi-fast services I was referring to....couldn't they still operate?

6tph plus a freight path...too many?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 14, 2017, 11:07:57 »

6tph plus a freight path...too many?

Personally, I think it is, especially east of Airport Junction where it will be a lot more than 6tph.  Perhaps NR» (Network Rail - home page), Crossrail and GWR (Great Western Railway) still think it will work.  Will be interesting to find out.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 14, 2017, 11:17:13 »

As well as the previously announced Terminal 5 service, TfL have now announced that there will be four trains per hour running through to Reading and six trains per hour to Maidenhead. 
Although in the peaks only.    Perhaps some GWR (Great Western Railway) services will continue to run through on the reliefs in the off-peak.

ISTM that there will no longer be any West Drayton peak extras, they will effectively become Reading peak extras.

As forecast in discussions after that March 2017 TfL» (Transport for London - about) board paper I linked to at the time.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:26:03 by paul7755 » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: July 14, 2017, 11:21:08 »

I confess to not having spotted the additional ones were peak services only - that makes all the more sense, so yes I would expect the off-peak GWR (Great Western Railway) services to still operate then.

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 14, 2017, 19:08:05 »

have now announced that there will be four trains per hour running through to Reading and six trains per hour to Maidenhead.....I presume that means GWR (Great Western Railway) will no longer be running a relief line service twice per hour as originally intended as there will not be any room for them now, surely?
Although in the peaks only.    Perhaps some GWR services will continue to run through on the reliefs in the off-peak.
I confess to not having spotted the additional ones were peak services only - that makes all the more sense, so yes I would expect the off-peak GWR services to still operate then.

From the blurb towards the bottom of the link:
Quote from:  crossrail.co.uk

TfL» (Transport for London - about) and the Department for Transport, the joint sponsors of the Crossrail project, have been working closely with Network Rail to ensure the best use of the shared railway infrastructure in west London and beyond. Five Great Western Railway services will be replaced with Elizabeth line services. This will provide the same or greater, frequency and the same journey times for the majority of passengers, with the added benefit of being able to continue directly into central London on the Elizabeth line.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: