27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:50:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 592085 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2012, 18:00:26 »

What are these PR (Public Relations) people like?

They are saying the boring machines were 'revealed' today.

So they must have been hidden before?   Roll Eyes

They were 'unveiled' in an earlier press release in December - I guess they have to use every buzzword in the spinmaster's dictionary...

Paul
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 18:07:49 by paul7755 » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2012, 19:45:27 »

Well, they need a bit of spin: those boring machines don't just pop up out of the ground, you know ...  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2012, 22:09:36 »

I have read on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) that there has been some problems trying to fit the TBM's  under the steel framework  which is errected over the portal at the royal oak end.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2012, 07:12:52 »

I have read on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) that there has been some problems trying to fit the TBM's  under the steel framework  which is errected over the portal at the royal oak end.
I did notice the first TBM had gone so far and it is taller than one of the frames ................. ooooooooooops  Grin ............ but they are continuing with the fit out

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2012, 11:43:27 »

An article on the Crossrail project which is well worth a read:

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/in-depth/the-big-story/what-lies-beneath-excavating-crossrails-tunnels/1012220.article#comments

Meanwhile a nice shiny 10-car length platform extension is nearing completion on the Down Main platform at Hayes & Harlington.  Not sure why that was chosen first, but with the exception of a bridge demolition near Iver it's the first sign of visible works on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) route.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2012, 10:53:48 »

Meanwhile a nice shiny 10-car length platform extension is nearing completion on the Down Main platform at Hayes & Harlington.  Not sure why that was chosen first, but with the exception of a bridge demolition near Iver it's the first sign of visible works on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) route.

Though the revised Airport Junction is hot on its heels.  You can see initial work on the retaining wall if you look left just as you pass under the flyover as you head away from London.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Press-Releases/NETWORK-RAIL-STARTS-WORK-FOR-HEATHROW-CROSSRAIL-SERVICES-1a41/SearchCategoryID-8.aspx

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2012, 13:21:33 »

Having read the description of how this junction is to be changed I'm still having trouble picturing the new viaducts and track layout.  Is there a diagram of how it will finally look anywhere?

Thanks,

Boppy.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2012, 13:27:49 »

This diagram, originally posted by Paul, shows the likely new layout.  It's certainly going to look quite different!

http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/s18-xrail-appx2_single_line_GW.pdf

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2012, 23:02:48 »

Phyllis has started her work:

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/press-releases/crossrails-first-tunnel-boring-machine-breaks-ground-at-royal-oak#.T6RRLcVG3YQ

The spoil conveyor system and loading sidings are also nearing completion, so it won't be long before the first spoil train leaves from Westbourne Park.

Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2012, 00:20:33 »

I was struck by how pristine it all looks. Won't last, of course!
Boppy

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2012, 12:22:59 »

Thanks IndustryInsider for pointing me towards Paul's diagram post.

I can now imagine how it will look and yes it does indeed appear quite a bit of work will be done to enable that Up Airport line as well.

Thanks,

Boppy.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2012, 18:43:37 »

Also thanks for Paul's post. One little addition that I've always thought would increase operational flexibility would be to put a connection from the bay platform 5 at Hayes to the Hayes Goods loop there appears to be room over the canal bridge. It is only a short length and would need a short lenth of wire as well. It would mean a Down train  for the bay would cross at Southall West onto the goods loop and run to the bay and not run wrong line blocking the Up Relief as now. At the same time an Up train could leave the bay and depart Up Relief passing the incoming train which will already be on the goods loop.

Thus clearing the down relief at Southall West and only blocking the Up Releif for a crossing move rather than a wrong line run.

I reckon it would require  4 of these new signal units, two point motors and 2 new route indications on existing signals.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:33 »

That would indeed be a more sensible layout, though that goods loop can often be occupied for several hours by stone trains going into, or waiting to leave, the Hayes Tarmac unloading siding.  It also acts as a run-round loop for other freight services.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2012, 22:17:14 »

It's an unfortunate accident of the English language that these very interesting machines are called "boring machines". After all these years, dirt is now being dug! I look forward to getting on the train at Stapleton Road, and asking for "Tottenham Court Road, please".

Now, please!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 10, 2012, 23:56:34 »

It's an unfortunate accident of the English language that these very interesting machines are called "boring machines". After all these years, dirt is now being dug! I look forward to getting on the train at Stapleton Road, and asking for "Tottenham Court Road, please".

I doubt they'll be direct trains from Bristol.

Besides you'll just ask for London Terminals won't you? (or London Zone 1)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: