Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 01:15:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 591243 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 08, 2013, 22:35:14 »

My reading of the article translates it from the original German as:
"Fed up of waiting for someone to make their minds up, we committed to other more enthusiastic orders that probably won't get cancelled twice before being singed. Bugger Britain, we're looking East and to South America. You people just don't get it."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 22:41:00 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 08, 2013, 23:45:07 »

before being singed.

Perhaps someone burnt their fingers on the deal.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 09, 2013, 18:56:39 »

before being singed.

You say tomato, I say tomato...

Now, please!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: July 09, 2013, 20:15:19 »

...lets call the whole thing off!!!!  Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 10, 2013, 23:03:01 »

...lets call the whole thing off!!!!  Grin

I think you might be right. That gag just doesn't work when it's written, rather than sung, does it? Had it been "You say zucchini, I say courgette" or "You say sidewalk, I say pavement", or even "You say baseball is fascinating, I say no it isn't, it's just rounders in pyjamas with more ad breaks" then we could be getting somewhere.
[/threaddrift]

before being singed.

A true pleasure to bump into BNM again, and to share a couple of Wetherspoons' finest, even if he did have to opt for Plan B. In my younger days, I once experimented with lager. Nothing good came of it.

Back on thread now, and I am beginning to analyse my National Infrastructure Authority idea, and my conclusion is that it is the only way to de-politicise national public transport, as well as those other infrastructure must-haves like water, sewerage, gas, airports, and probably most vitally power. Not exhaustive. Crossrail is a good example of how the current method builds in delay and expense. Once a need for a project is identified, it should be done at the earliest possible opportunity, not reviewed and cancelled a few times.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 16:24:09 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 31, 2013, 21:02:00 »

A new update regarding progress on Tottenham Court Road station, from Crossrail and TfL» (Transport for London - about). Has some interesting pictures, as well as lots of figures, and an upbeat assessment from BoJo. Too much to quote, but well worth a look.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2013, 21:26:15 »

And here's the plans for the rebuild of Ealing Broadway station, providing much overdue step-free access, extended platforms, a modern, bigger concourse and longer canopies.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/surface/western-section/ealing-broadway-station

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/downloads/download/2014/crossrail_provisional_plans_for_ealing_broadway_station

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #307 on: August 01, 2013, 10:06:49 »

Crossrail are busy exploring the platforms at Taplow. They seem to be digging small pits to ascertain structure and also marking up untility runs with different colured paint.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2013, 18:18:48 »

Crossrail are busy exploring the platforms at Taplow. They seem to be digging small pits to ascertain structure and also marking up untility runs with different colured paint.

Are they in the process of putting up fencing to prevent access to the edge of the up main platform that's been out of use for years?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2013, 18:45:23 »

Are they in the process of putting up fencing to prevent access to the edge of the up main platform that's been out of use for years?

As I went past (on the soon to fail 17:18 ex Padd if we think 166 air-con is pants the 180 this eve was blasting out hot air) there were white fence post in some of the holes

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #310 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22:35 »

As it turns out you are dead right II and ET went to the station last night and found a fence on the east end paltform 2 with enogh panels to do the West End a well. At least it appears it's going to have gates on it presumably for emergency use. Will train crews have keys?

Train allegedly stopped on platform 2 the other day and opened the doors to take on passengers!

That ruins Taplow as a place to photograph staem specials!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 02, 2013, 09:06:19 »

They've been putting similar barriers with gates up at other stations on the route, such as Southall, West Drayton and Acton Main Line for safety reasons as when a busy train arrives on the down relief platform it stops disembarking passengers from spreading out and getting perilously close to a 125mph HST (High Speed Train) rushing on the up main.  That's not so much of a problem at a place like Taplow, but the platform surface isn't in very good condition, so it makes sense to block it off given there's no service supposed to use it.

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 03, 2013, 21:25:15 »

And here's the plans for the rebuild of Ealing Broadway station, providing much overdue step-free access, extended platforms, a modern, bigger concourse and longer canopies.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/surface/western-section/ealing-broadway-station

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/downloads/download/2014/crossrail_provisional_plans_for_ealing_broadway_station

The images from the crossrail link made me suspect that there might just be a bit of artistic licence here. Where had that big white office block on the left of the station entrance gone? Was it being demolished for Crossrail? I see from the council website drawings however that it's staying where it is but the entrance to the station is being moved to the right of where it is now.

James

Be happy and helpful to all people you meet.

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2013, 17:43:44 »

Looks as if the Crossrail works in the Maidenhead Area are really gathering pace.
An area of where the Maidenhead Depot will be located has now be dug up, and further excavating work on the existing track in the sidings plus stockpiling is being done for removal in the future.
It also says that it will try to make less noise and dust, but one night on previous weekends you can hear the trains sounding the horns at 02:30 am in the morning. Is that really needed? Oh well...

Due to this, Network Rail sent me a letter telling me the dates that Crossrail will cause disruption on.
The dates are;
+ Sunday 11 August (00:30) to Monday 12 August (05:30) and;
+ Sunday 18 August (00:30) to Monday 19 August (05:30)

Heres the letter if you wish to read further into it Smiley

Be smart and help one another, if the other is in need, just common curtisy Wink
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 08, 2013, 18:02:44 »

...but one night on previous weekends you can hear the trains sounding the horns at 02:30 am in the morning. Is that really needed?

Well it probably is if it stops infrastructure workers being run down by either mainline engines or on track 'yellow plant' during possessions.  If you check out a few of the past Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)) reports you'll see that it is a good idea...

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: