Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:39:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 586999 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 19, 2014, 15:01:01 »

One of the railway bridges (highfield lane) in Maidenhead was supposed to be closed (for up to 6 months) this weekend to replace the bridge because of crossrail (I believe). It's now been postponed.. Does anyone know why? It's hard to find any information online about the delay or even the fact it's going to be closed in the first place.

I only found out when my sons school told me it was closing (his school is nearby and therefore affected) although a sign has appeared more recently by the bridge to tell people.

I'm quite relieved to be honest as there is currently no sign that I can see of the promised pedestrian bridge that is supposed to be there during the closure.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 19, 2014, 15:06:00 »

I'm quite relieved to be honest as there is currently no sign that I can see of the promised pedestrian bridge that is supposed to be there during the closure.

I suspect that is the reason for the postponement. Why it happened, I couldn't say, but a lot of assets were thrown into repairing bad weather damage, which MAY have a part to play in this.

Now, please!
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 19, 2014, 17:16:05 »

I believe the issue is that they haven't secured planning permission, or rather the Council havne't decided if this is Permitted Development or not....

http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/pam/planning_application_search.jsp?appnum=14%2F01505&orderby=createDate&ascending=true

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 19, 2014, 17:33:08 »

Thanks NickB.. Strange they postponed it so last minute but maybe they were hoping to get planning permission this week. The sign has been manually changed to say the bridge will close on 28th June instead of 23rd.. Well I think that is what it says as it's not too obvious
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 19, 2014, 18:29:12 »

Looking at some of the notes Cox Green Parish Council have raise a comment against the Royal Borough, the PC have been want the bridge widened for years, NR» (Network Rail - home page) will only be raising the bridge to give clearance for the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") and raising the height of the balustrade to 1.8 meters.

I not sure it is Crossrail that far West doing the work its more likely GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 20, 2014, 18:44:02 »

I not sure it is Crossrail that far West doing the work its more likely GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification

I agree

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 20, 2014, 18:50:04 »

Article in the Maidenhead Advertiser, states the bridge work is being done under permitted development rights, there were so powers that needed to be granted to NR» (Network Rail - home page) which the Royal Borough gave.

The Parish Council wanted a 2 lane bridge, NR are only funded to replace like for like, Royal Borough view is making the bridge wider would attract HGV through a residential area which I actually agree it would do

Tizer article http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/News/Areas/Cox-Green/Replacement-bridge-in-Highfield-Lane-is-a-missed-opportunity-say-residents-18062014.htm

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 30, 2014, 19:05:27 »

Notice this afternoon on the way home some very large steel nails have been tapped into the ground between Taplow and Burnham on the Up Relief side.

By large steel nails I mean steel cylindrical piles approx. 750mm in diameter and some 5 meter long  Grin

The knitting has commenced  Grin

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 30, 2014, 19:44:23 »

I noticed those too last week.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 08, 2014, 23:04:04 »

There is a three part BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) documentary series on the building of Crossrail starting next week, July 16th 2014, 9pm, BBC2.

This series follows a team of more than 10,000 engineers and construction workers as they race to build a brand new railway under London - Crossrail - London's new Underground. Costing fifteen billion pounds, it's the biggest engineering project in Europe and a huge challenge to pull off. As they burrow the forty-two kilometres of tunnels, engineers must battle to make sure that listed buildings don't crack, London Underground trains keep running, roads don't shut and the City stays in business. Crucially, they must drive one of their gigantic 1,000-tonne tunnel boring machines through a tiny gap in the congested underbelly of Tottenham Court Road station without the passengers on the tube platforms below knowing they are there.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b7h1w

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
centralman

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2014, 10:48:00 »

There is a three part BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) documentary series on the building of Crossrail starting next week, July 16th 2014, 9pm, BBC2.

This series follows a team of more than 10,000 engineers and construction workers as they race to build a brand new railway under London - Crossrail - London's new Underground. Costing fifteen billion pounds, it's the biggest engineering project in Europe and a huge challenge to pull off. As they burrow the forty-two kilometres of tunnels, engineers must battle to make sure that listed buildings don't crack, London Underground trains keep running, roads don't shut and the City stays in business. Crucially, they must drive one of their gigantic 1,000-tonne tunnel boring machines through a tiny gap in the congested underbelly of Tottenham Court Road station without the passengers on the tube platforms below knowing they are there.

Should be quite interesting!

Over the last 7 years, BBC two seems to like these types of documentaries on transport!

They have had the redevelopment of St Pancras International, The Tube, British Airways and now this one!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #371 on: July 09, 2014, 17:30:38 »

Went to a Crossrail Exhibiton at Maidenehad on Tuesday 8th. Not much going on. Had quite long chat with Crossrail rep however it wasn't John Goldsmith who is teh Western guy but their Northeasr guy.

Still he put me right on Shenfield (see corespondance in rail)

Definitely no loos on trains! Even though it's 36 mies to Reading! Stations to be manned from start to finsh of service so loos and lifts where provided will be open. We'll see how long that lasts before efficiency savings have to be made!

Balfour Beaty still think Platform 6 at Maidemhead will be built. However other sources suggest it's scrapped due to difficulty of piling close to residential flats.

During afternoon very few members of the public.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 09, 2014, 20:08:41 »

I still don't get why they call them boring machines. They fascinate me.

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #373 on: July 10, 2014, 11:06:44 »

Definitely no loos on trains! Even though it's 36 mies to Reading! Stations to be manned from start to finsh of service so loos and lifts where provided will be open. We'll see how long that lasts before efficiency savings have to be made!

Similar to London Overground, Crossrail is a TfL» (Transport for London - about) contract & they staff first to last.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 10, 2014, 17:28:58 »

Hang on, I have colleagues who commute daily from the Reading / Slough area to Canary Wharf.
1 hour? I suppose that's ok - what do people think?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: