21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:43:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 591239 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 17, 2014, 01:46:55 »

There is a three part BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) documentary series on the building of Crossrail starting next week, July 16th 2014, 9pm, BBC2.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04b7h1w

An interesting insight in the work going on, particularly the challenge of threading the Crossrail tunnels through existing underground structures at Tottenham Court Rd. I would have preferred a bit more focus on the engineering and a little less of the 'characters', but that seems to be the norm these days with such documentaries.

Featured in this first episode was a look back to another major engineering feat carried out in the West End in the 1960s - the building of the Victoria Line. Footage from a 1969 documentary was shown. The full programme is also currently viewable on BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00sc29t/how-they-dug-the-victoria-line
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:56:01 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 17, 2014, 21:41:17 »

Also repeated tonight at 11.20pm on BBC2
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 17, 2014, 22:16:13 »

Thank you.. I somehow missed recording the actual program so will record that one instead :-)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 18, 2014, 13:19:39 »

From the Evening Standard:

Hong Kong firm is awarded the ^1.4bn contract to run Crossrail

Hong Kong rail experts MTR were today awarded the ^1.4 billion contract to operate Crossrail services when the line opens in 2018.

The company will hire 1,100 staff, including 400 train drivers, and will begin by taking over the Liverpool Street to Shenfield line next May.

MTR, which already runs the London Overground in partnership with  Deutsche Bahn,   also operates metros in Stockholm, Beijing and the other Chinese cities of  Shenzhen and Hangzhou, and Melbourne.

It  is expert in running high-frequency metro services ^  Hong Kong^s is even busier than London, carrying 4.5  million  passengers a day ^ and its 24-hour services there provided the  inspiration for London^s Night Tube.

Howard Smith, operations director at Crossrail, told the Standard: ^We were looking for the people who were going to deliver the best Crossrail. They will focus relentlessly on reliability. They are 50 per cent of the London Overground operator and have  decades of experience running trains extremely reliably in Hong Kong and have a good record in Melbourne and Stockholm.

^We will be from next year promising to have staff at all stations from start to finish and running lots of extra trains, with about 850 new jobs in the railway industry in London.^

The ^1.4bn deal covers concession payments to MTR over the eight-year contract term, before any bonuses or penalties.

MTR beat off competition from Arriva, National Express and  Keolis/Go Ahead.

Crossrail services are being awarded as a concession by TfL» (Transport for London - about), similar to the one awarded by Transport for London  for the London Overground. Services to Shenfield will initially operate with the current rolling stock but will be gradually replaced in 2017 by new Crossrail trains.

When the ^16 billion Crossrail is fully operational in December 2019 it will serve 40 stations and run 72 miles from Reading and Heathrow in the west, and through 13-mile tunnels below central London to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east. Mayor Boris Johnson said he was  ^delighted^ by the MTR deal.

With such news items I normally post the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)'s report. However, they have constantly referred to this award as a franchise, when it is a concession.  Roll Eyes I've told Auntie of its error.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #379 on: July 18, 2014, 13:49:22 »

Wonder what the net increase in drivers is? And where they might come from?

I don't see many out of work currently?...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 18, 2014, 14:11:05 »

I think four years is plenty of time to recruit and train.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #381 on: July 18, 2014, 14:24:33 »

I guessthey know how many will TUPE (The Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006.) across from services they are taking over, and know the total number they need...so could work out how many would need recruiting & training
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 18, 2014, 14:50:02 »

I guessthey know how many will TUPE (The Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006.) across from services they are taking over, and know the total number they need...so could work out how many would need recruiting & training

It's an interesting question.  Currently, I'd say around 20% of all work at Paddington LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) and Oxford drivers depots covers trains that Crossrail will either directly, or indirectly take over.  That figure is probably 15% at Reading depot, who tend to do a little more branch line work.   There's also the Heathrow Connect drivers (who also do Heathrow Express) that will be affected slightly.  That's getting on for 100 drivers worth of work.

Possibly the most sensible thing to do is to transfer Paddington LTV depot over to Crossrail, and split Reading depot into two - a larger part for the Greater Western work, and a smaller part for the Crossrail work.  Oxford could then absorb other work such as increased Cotswold Line frequency and potentially the East West Rail services to Milton Keynes and Bedford.

But, what sway will the unions have in all of that...?   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
tom m

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 18, 2014, 19:11:37 »

I can't see Heathrow express existing in its current form once crossrail starts. There is talk of going west but nothing is confirmed.

Considering current industrial relations at hex I can see.quite a few drivers going across
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 18, 2014, 19:57:14 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the MTR was largely a London Underground creation, with Metro-Cammell rolling stock.

The KCR was also a British creation, being electrified in 1983 with Mk IIIb OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") to typhoon proof standard.

We can do it when we want to.

OTC
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 18, 2014, 20:18:54 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the MTR was largely a London Underground creation, with Metro-Cammell rolling stock.

The KCR was also a British creation, being electrified in 1983 with Mk IIIb OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") to typhoon proof standard.

OTC

Used to be able too   Shocked   Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 18, 2014, 21:02:21 »

It's an interesting question.  Currently, I'd say around 20% of all work at Paddington LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) and Oxford drivers depots covers trains that Crossrail will either directly, or indirectly take over.  That figure is probably 15% at Reading depot, who tend to do a little more branch line work.   There's also the Heathrow Connect drivers (who also do Heathrow Express) that will be affected slightly.  That's getting on for 100 drivers worth of work.

Possibly the most sensible thing to do is to transfer Paddington LTV depot over to Crossrail, and split Reading depot into two - a larger part for the Greater Western work, and a smaller part for the Crossrail work.  Oxford could then absorb other work such as increased Cotswold Line frequency and potentially the East West Rail services to Milton Keynes and Bedford.

But, what sway will the unions have in all of that...?   Wink
The only FGW (First Great Western) staff TUPEing to Crossrail will be station staff between Ealing Broadway and Maidenhead.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have already confirmed no drivers from FGW will TUPE to Crossrail.

In fact that honour has fallen on Greater Anglia who have already set aside a pool of drivers to TUPE over for next year. It's worth noting that when London Overground started only Silverlink Metro drivers TUPE'd over, none from Southern (although of course that never stopped Southern drivers applying to work there through choice).

There'll be plenty of work for LTV drivers post Crossrail. Enchanced outer suburban services. Plus new services with IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.). And in any case, the new pay deal may finally resolve harmonisation,  so there may not even be an LTV pool of drivers any more. Someone will have tk drice those new Bristol services!  Smiley

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 18, 2014, 22:08:03 »

OTC

Used to be able too   Shocked   Grin

... but you and those like you in NR» (Network Rail - home page) and private industry still do a brilliant job, IMHO (in my humble opinion). All is not lost.

OTC
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 18, 2014, 23:14:13 »

The only FGW (First Great Western) staff TUPEing to Crossrail will be station staff between Ealing Broadway and Maidenhead.

Acton Main Line?
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 19, 2014, 00:29:15 »

Acton Main Line?
Of course. How could I forget it!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: