Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 13:07:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587208 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 04, 2015, 17:13:31 »

Does anyone know if FGW (First Great Western) plan to produce timetable alterations booklets as has been done during past major works at Reading?
Answer...No. Quote from FGW Reading Easter works leaflet: Customer trends indicate that digital sources of detailed train times information is preferred, so we no longer re-issue timetables for periods when our service is temporarily amended.

In other words they can't be bothered to produce revised timetables anymore.  Sad
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:48 »

I can accept that FGW (First Great Western) will no longer issue paper timetables, but why can they not produce .pdf timetables (ie digital documents which FGW claim that their customers prefer) to go on their website? 

The only information they have there now is an Easter Guide which, despite its 27 page length, prefers vague statements like ^two trains per hour^ (which is of limited use to anyone) to something helpful like train times.  They could probably produce a .pdf timetable for Easter in 27 pages which would be a lot more useful.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #527 on: March 05, 2015, 10:11:02 »

I've asked the question...
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #528 on: March 05, 2015, 15:15:15 »

Success, I think.

I explained the reasons for wanting the TT in at least pdf format, and Andy McRae (Senior Publications Manager) responded -

OK Chris - noted. I'll chat to my team and work out the best way of tackling this.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 05, 2015, 17:37:40 »

Wow, thanks Chris, I'm impressed!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 05, 2015, 19:29:14 »

Wow me too Chris. Hope it comes to fruition.

As much as I like an old fashioned paper timteable, I dont think its realistic to expect TOCs (Train Operating Company) in this digital age to produce paper timetables for short term alterations. However, technology exists to produce an electronic version of revised timetables to be posted online. After all they must exist for back office and front line staff?

I will make an exception to what I've said about not producing paper timetables when it comes to the 6 weeks of work between Bath and Chippenham and the effect that will have on the area's services. There is a case for printed timetables on this occasion and would expect FGW (First Great Western) to produce them after all it would be Network Rail paying for them.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 05, 2015, 21:46:49 »

Looking at how the complex work taking place at Swindon late May will have a major effect on services, I hope FGW (First Great Western) could make revised timetables available online for this work too:
https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Swindon2015
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #532 on: March 06, 2015, 09:35:27 »

I got the distinct impression from Andy McRae that he took the feedback on board for major projects going forward - so I'd hope to see them for both these.

Whether you get paper TTs for Bath/Chippenham, I doubt it....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 13, 2015, 11:36:41 »

As we've got a few forum members who know and like hearing about signalling alterations, here's a summary of what's happening at Easter between Reading and Paddington on the Crossrail route - Stage H of the project:

In layman's terms:
New and more flexible signalling at several locations between Maidenhead and Acton meaning (hopefully) more reliable signals and more signalling flexibility which will be useful when there are problems and are the start of the many projects providing the extra track, signals and routes that will be required to run the additional trains when Crossrail commences.

In more detail:
Acton area:
Acton Middle Junction is being removed (to allow the flyunder to be finished and brought into use by the end of the year) and the Down and Up Poplar lines will once again commence at Acton West with access to and from Acton Yard.

Ealing area:
A new turnback signal SN220 is being provided at Ealing Broadway on the Down Relief line

West Drayton to Iver:
New routings and new signals from the Down Relief to the Up Relief will mean trains can turnback at West Drayton's platform 4 when arriving from the London direction.  Iver goods loop is split into Iver Loop and West Drayton loop and becomes available for the use of passenger trains.  Eventually new crossovers mid way (hence the split) and bi-di working will apply, but for the time being it's still an up direction loop only.

Langley to Slough West:
Slough bay platform 6 is taken out of use.  Flashing yellow aspects are introduced on the Down and Up Main lines for both Dolphin and Slough West Junctions to speed movements up that currently rely on 'approach control' signalling.  Slough Down Relief platform has a new signal installed in the Up direction, and new routings at Slough West Junction will allow moves from both the Relief and Main lines to all platforms at Slough except the Windsor bay platform.  This means the only platform at Slough which is not fully bi-directional is Platform 3 (UM).  Speeds through the Relief line platforms increase to 75mph for trains classed as 'MU (Multiple Unit)' which is up from 55/60mph.  There are alterations to Slough Goods Loop as well with the eastern end being turned into two headshunts.  Finally the East Loop Line on the Windsor branch will be turned into a siding, known as 'Windsor Siding'.

Maidenhead area:
Two sets of flashing yellow aspects will be provided for movements over Maidenhead East from Down Main to Down Relief or Up Relief to Up Main.  The Engineers Siding, together with the Dock Siding will be taken out of use.

Slough Panel Box:
Closes with control passing to the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) at Didcot with a new 'Slough Workstation' controlling signals from east of Ruscombe to east of Iver using Track Circuit Block with Axle Counters.

Hope some of you find that useful - feel free to ask for any more detail or clarification.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:38:42 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 13, 2015, 12:33:04 »

Thanks II.

Changes to Iver Goods Loop are interesting ^ is the reason to make provision for Crossrail trains to pass each other?  If so, that could be good news for Maidenhead and Twyford passengers who are looking for faster services into London.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 13, 2015, 12:36:25 »

Yes thanks for the update II.  I'm currently working on an area a lttle bit to the East of Acton Mainline but there isn't much to see yet as its currently a sea of mud and rubble Roll Eyes Tongue
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 13, 2015, 12:42:01 »

Changes to Iver Goods Loop are interesting ^ is the reason to make provision for Crossrail trains to pass each other?  If so, that could be good news for Maidenhead and Twyford passengers who are looking for faster services into London.

Yes, as far as I know the tack in the loop will eventually be extended, re-laid, bi-di signalling installed, the crossovers mid-way commisioned, and platforms at West Drayton and Iver rebuilt.  The end result will be a fifth running line from east of Langley to east of West Drayton.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 13, 2015, 14:35:52 »

Slough Panel Box:
Closes with control passing to the TVSC» (Thames Valley Signalling Centre - about) at Didcot with a new 'Slough Workstation' controlling signals from east of Ruscombe to east of Iver using Track Circuit Block with Axle Counters.

So Slough PSB (Power Signal Box) gets abolished over Easter

The flashing aspects for diverging routing at Maidenhead will certainly ease things in the evening for the UM when the fasts first stop Maidenhead from Padd cross to the DR

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2015, 10:11:04 »

When I went through on Thursday there was a lot going on on the old oak common flyover.  With IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) maintenance going to the old North Pole depot I thought this would be less used.  Does anyone know what is happening and why?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 14, 2015, 10:42:05 »

FGW (First Great Western) will still have some stabling facilities at Old Oak Common squeezed between the new Crossrail depot and the existing Heathrow Express depot.  I assume these will be for overnight stabling only. Don't have the signalling plan to hand at the moment but from memory there will be about 5 or 6 sidings.  The flyover can also be used by Heathrow Express to access its depot to/from Paddington Platforms 5 and 6 via Line 1 or 2 to Ladbroke Grove and avoid conflict with the Relief Lines.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: