Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:58:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587124 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 11, 2015, 22:26:27 »

Yes, the shuttle will operate all through the day, I did hear it would be increased to every 20 minutes during rush hour, though this hasn't been confirmed of late.

The paths that are then freed up from Paddington will immediately be covered by the new electrics (365s?) which will run a shuttle to Hayes and I believe this will continue until crossrail is up and running.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 11, 2015, 22:28:33 »

Once again referring to the most current scheme plan I have access to, Line 6 is cut back permanently to allow the Crossrail lines to merge into the relief lines roughly in the Ladbroke Grove area.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 11, 2015, 23:32:20 »

The paths that are then freed up from Paddington will immediately be covered by the new electrics (365s?) which will run a shuttle to Hayes and I believe this will continue until crossrail is up and running.
I found a few days ago that the direct award franchise agreement is now available on DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s site, and has the first 10 new EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) as 387/1s ex GTR, 6 by end of March 16, and another 4 by end of April, the first 365s are not until 2017.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/426295/FGW_Interim_Franchise_Agreement_02.pdf

Loads more rolling stock dates in there...

Paul
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 12, 2015, 07:00:26 »

Thanks Paul, yes I wasn't sure if it was 365s or not, thank you for clearing that up for me.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #574 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:14 »

Passengers inbound from Hayes are going to very disappointed when Crossrail comes in with it's non loo cattle trucks compared to the 365s they've travelling in up until then!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 12, 2015, 10:06:21 »

Passengers inbound from Hayes are going to very disappointed when Crossrail comes in with it's non loo cattle trucks compared to the 365s they've travelling in up until then!

I know you're of the opinion that running Crossrail west of Paddington isn't going to work, but personally I'll be waiting to see the interiors of the trains before describing them as 'cattle trucks' which in my opinion is unlikely given that each and every train will be over 200 metres long compared with the 160 metres (at best) that the 365's will provide. 

As for loos, short distances from the likes of West Drayton and Hayes into London won't, in my opinion, cause many problems.  The length of journey will be comparable, probably less, than many commutes in on the Met and Central lines, which of course have no toilets.  Possibly more of an issue on longer journeys from places like Twyford, Maidenhead, and, if the extention gets the go-ahead, places like Tring and Berkhamsted.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #576 on: August 12, 2015, 10:12:47 »

I found a few days ago that the direct award franchise agreement is now available on DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s site,

Been there some time....BNM drew our attention to this.

What we've been waiting for is the SLC (Service Level Commitment) that goes with it & on checking, I notice that this is now posted too - can only have gone up very recently as I've been regularly checking for it....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/452229/first-great-western-service-level-commitment-3a-22032015.pdf
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 12, 2015, 13:35:31 »

I found a few days ago that the direct award franchise agreement is now available on DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s site,

Been there some time....BNM drew our attention to this.

Yes, and I even posted the same info about the 387s from it at the time, back in May!

Memory must be going...

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 12, 2015, 18:37:05 »

I know you're of the opinion that running Crossrail west of Paddington isn't going to work, but personally I'll be waiting to see the interiors of the trains before describing them as 'cattle trucks' which in my opinion is unlikely given that each and every train will be over 200 metres long compared with the 160 metres (at best) that the 365's will provide. 

As for loos, short distances from the likes of West Drayton and Hayes into London won't, in my opinion, cause many problems.  The length of journey will be comparable, probably less, than many commutes in on the Met and Central lines, which of course have no toilets.  Possibly more of an issue on longer journeys from places like Twyford, Maidenhead, and, if the extention gets the go-ahead, places like Tring and Berkhamsted.

I agree need to wait to see what the new Crossrail trains look like, I had a very good look around the Thameslink class 700 on Saturday night the interior is very good for a 12 car train there is only 2 loos ad absolutely no buffet or plan for trolley service 

Not sure folks will be too impressed with the 365 they are a 25kV version of the 165 no aircon compared to the 387/1 which are fully aircon and the 0-60 on them compared to 365 is better

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 17, 2015, 08:53:59 »

Notice on both the Main Lines and Relief Lines along the route between Maidenhead and Airport Jcn stove pipes, insulators, registration arm support tubes and some other SPS (Small Part Steel).

(Techie note  Grin  SPS - Small Part Steel, ie bits of steel that just have parts numbers and no common name.   Stove Pipes are the steel tubes (round or square) the drop down from the structure above to support the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") components, why stove pipe because they look like the old iron stoves chimneys)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 19, 2015, 14:34:01 »

The TBM have gone and left a big hole ................ so now its time to fill them with some concrete http://www.europeanrailwayreview.com/24531/rail-industry-news/crossrail-welcomes-465-metre-long-concreting-train/

The concrete batching plant on wheels has arrived to start laying the slab for the track

Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 24, 2015, 21:14:25 »

The OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") insulators, support booms between Maidenhead and Stockley Park are getting added to all the time.  Also today I notice the 25kV circuit breakers and ancillary equipment building have been delivered to the Slough AT site

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 10, 2015, 11:51:46 »

A Crossrail Class 345 test vehicle has now been produced:

http://www.globalrailnews.com/2015/09/10/bombardier-completes-first-crossrail-body-shell/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 05, 2015, 09:18:46 »

I hope it's ok if I ask a very basic question about Crossrail here. I can't think of another topic it would fit into, but it is quite basic!

Simply, how will Crossrail affect journeys to and more importantly across London from this part of the country? I presume that travelling to London you'll arrive at Paddington as now and onward travel will be via Tube, taxi or whatever, just as today. But sometimes I go to Colchester. (Yes, I admit to visiting Essex; I even have friends there!  Shocked) At the moment this is usually train to Paddington, tube to Liverpool St then a horrible Greater Anglia service to Colchester. When Crossrail is done, will it be possible to use that from Paddington ^ or even from Reading ^ as far as Shenfield, thus hopefully missing out the very worst of the Essex commuter-line nightmare? Come to that, is Crossrail even to be accepting National Rail tickets or does it have its own ticketing system? Or a bit of both, like LU?

I dare say the answer is already in this thread, somewhere, but I'm afraid I haven't had time to wade through all of it.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #584 on: November 05, 2015, 09:27:30 »

I suspect that the fastest route will be GWR (Great Western Railway) to Pad, Crossrail to Liverpool St and fast non-stop train to Colchester. Yes, you will be able to do Crossrail from Reading to Shenfield & slow(er) train to Colchester, but it's likely to be at least an hour longer! Normal BR (British Rail(ways)) fares will be available, but I suspect Crossrail will launch it's own lower fares at some stage to compete.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: