Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:48:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587180 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: December 06, 2015, 22:15:47 »

Interesting article on the Acton Dive Under, which after several years is now nearing completion:

http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/12/06/a-look-at-crossrails-critical-acton-dive-under/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 19, 2016, 16:41:03 »

If you are near Reading next Thursday (25th), you may be interested in this talk about the Crossrail trains. It repeats one given for IMechE in Bath in November. This time it is run jointly with the IET (Intercity Express Train), in UoR Whiteknights campus, at 7 p.m. It's being used as a recruiting opportunity for the IET, so beware if you arrive early for the tea - or try to look old.

There is a poster, downloadable from this page, but it's only a prettier way of saying this:
CLASS 345 ^ THE NEW TRAINS FOR CROSSRAIL

Mark Ellis, Bombardier and Phil Hinde, Crossrail

The Crossrail project demonstrates that railway engineering is an innovative and growing area of activity that can provide excellent long-term prospects for varied and technically demanding careers. Here ^14.8Bn of infrastructure investment in tunnelling, new stations, electrification, and automated control systems is being topped up with 65 new 200 metre-long trains based at a state of the art maintenance depot with a lifetime vehicle maintenance contract utilising the latest in remote condition monitoring technology.

This talk focuses on Bombardier^s new Class 345 Trains which are to be introduced progressively, on routes crossing London between Reading and Heathrow in the West and Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the East, between 2017 and 2019.

This event is free of charge and open to all, with a lecture starting at 19:00. It will be preceded by informal careers advice with refreshments from 18:00, which will continue after the lecture. This event is jointly organised by IET local group EC3 and the IMechE Railway Division, South West Centre.

Thursday 25 February 2016 19.00

Palmer Building, University of Reading RG6 6UR

For directions please visit http://www.reading.ac.uk/about/find/about-findindex.aspx

Unusually for these days, no registration is asked for. However, I would ask anyone who is coming as a result of this post to let me know, please. (It's a local event for me, though I am not involved in organising it.)

PS: Sorry for the short notice - not getting round to doing things is one of the few talents I have developed further since retiring.
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 19, 2016, 20:21:09 »

I doubt that anyone who isn't a member of the IET (Intercity Express Train) will get any hassle or recruitment spiel - unless you know better...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 19, 2016, 23:02:05 »

Meanwhile at Paddington, eagle-eyed passengers will spot that work on the platform 12/13 combination has started, with the revised line of the track and platform edge marked out in spray paint along platform 13 where it will deviate from the current formation.  Also, according to a poster on the platform the extension of platform 14 will be completed by May this year - though I'm not sure to what length.  It has now had the knitting strung above it as well.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 19, 2016, 23:58:09 »

Is there any scope to extend P14 'inwards' a bit alongside the LU tracks?

AIUI (as I understand it) the original setup had four through platforms for the Met; so there might have been more space than is used nowadays, but currently out of sight?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there was a version of the enhancements plan a while back that gave a much longer finished P14 length and we couldn't see how it could be done by a simple extension to the west.

Paul

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 20, 2016, 08:00:10 »

If you are near Reading next Thursday (25th), you may be interested in this talk about the Crossrail trains. It repeats one given for IMechE in Bath in November. This time it is run jointly with the IET (Intercity Express Train), in UoR Whiteknights campus, at 7 p.m. It's being used as a recruiting opportunity for the IET, so beware if you arrive early for the tea - or try to look old.

There is a poster, downloadable from this page, but it's only a prettier way of saying this:
CLASS 345 ^ THE NEW TRAINS FOR CROSSRAIL

Mark Ellis, Bombardier and Phil Hinde, Crossrail

The Crossrail project demonstrates that railway engineering is an innovative and growing area of activity that can provide excellent long-term prospects for varied and technically demanding careers. Here ^14.8Bn of infrastructure investment in tunnelling, new stations, electrification, and automated control systems is being topped up with 65 new 200 metre-long trains based at a state of the art maintenance depot with a lifetime vehicle maintenance contract utilising the latest in remote condition monitoring technology.

This talk focuses on Bombardier^s new Class 345 Trains which are to be introduced progressively, on routes crossing London between Reading and Heathrow in the West and Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the East, between 2017 and 2019.

This event is free of charge and open to all, with a lecture starting at 19:00. It will be preceded by informal careers advice with refreshments from 18:00, which will continue after the lecture. This event is jointly organised by IET local group EC3 and the IMechE Railway Division, South West Centre.

Thursday 25 February 2016 19.00

Palmer Building, University of Reading RG6 6UR

For directions please visit http://www.reading.ac.uk/about/find/about-findindex.aspx

Unusually for these days, no registration is asked for. However, I would ask anyone who is coming as a result of this post to let me know, please. (It's a local event for me, though I am not involved in organising it.)

PS: Sorry for the short notice - not getting round to doing things is one of the few talents I have developed further since retiring.

I might be there, no good me looking old cause I am (ish) also already MIET  Grin

Is there any scope to extend P14 'inwards' a bit alongside the LU tracks?

AIUI (as I understand it) the original setup had four through platforms for the Met; so there might have been more space than is used nowadays, but currently out of sight?

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there was a version of the enhancements plan a while back that gave a much longer finished P14 length and we couldn't see how it could be done by a simple extension to the west.

Paul

It has been extended as far as it realistically can, although the platform edge coping slabs have yet to be fitted.

The OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") has been declared "LIVE" although it has a permanent earth fitted just under BBR Bridge this makes issuing isolation documents quicker for the team working on the canopy   

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 28, 2016, 16:47:47 »

I noted down some details of the class 345 trains from Thursday's presentation, which may not be new but most are not on Wikipedia (yet). These are mainly "as built", and may replace previous "as designed" limit values.

• The track has a gradient of 1 in 27 in three places, and is (by main-line standards) very wiggly.
  • The driver's display to support DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) is always a TV in the cab, with a wireless link from platform cameras, as on LU.
  • There were gauging issues, of which the platform heights were worst - high on GE, lower and variable on GW (Great Western).
  • Carriage length is 22.5 m (nominal), so a 9-car is 202.5 m long and new infrastructure and the design-for maximum stretch 11-car is 247.5. (Design limits were 205 and 250 m).
  • Each train has two independently-powered ends and a trailer in the middle, so it will run with both pantographs up.
  • There are 5 powered bogies (both axles in each) in a 4-car "half". One car with one powered bogie will be left out of each "half" in the interim 7-car units delivered next year for use on the ex-GE TfL» (Transport for London - about)-rail service.
  • Acceleration is to be 1 m/s/s and deceleration 0.9 m/s/s - in the leafless dry indoors, anyway.
  • Mass is 320 t, or "the same as a class 315 per metre".
  • The units ordered for Overground (class 710?) are derived from this design (Aventra), but with shorter carriages at 20 m nominal.

There was a Bombardier presentation about their wonderful new train inspection systems (AVIS), which runs each trisn entering the depot past a battery of cameras (visible and IR), laser scanners, etc. Trains also have some NDT monitors in board (e.g. acoustic). While the idea is to reduce human routine inspections, these are still required for lots of things, though the trains designers are being leaned on to get rid of these in the future.

Further points arose in questions afterwards:

They seem to have had a fixation with minimising clutter, so while straps have to be kept there are no overhead lockers or racks. To be fair, I think this is about speed and the fact that on short central journeys people keep hold of their light luggage and near to wheeled stuff on the floor. Hence space for big things is in the "stand-back" by the doors or under the cantilevered side-on seats (though people may take a while to realise it's there).

Extending to 11-car is not a simple option; the power design hasn't been done to allow for it. At least one extra power bogie per "half" is needed (that gradient again), and presumably some uprating of other components to feed it. (But this was an off-the-cuff reply and may not be Bombardier's last word on the subject).

E&OE - as notes taken during a live presentation, I may have missed or misrecorded something.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 16:56:49 by stuving » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2016, 18:28:20 »

There was a Bombardier presentation about their wonderful new train inspection systems (AVIS), which runs each trisn entering the depot past a battery of cameras (visible and IR), laser scanners, etc.

Just to give its full name AVIS = Automatic Vehicle Inspection System

There will be two of these 'sheds' in the new Old Oak Common Crossrail Depot.  Trains will be 'inspected' at a speed of 3mph.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #608 on: February 28, 2016, 20:44:39 »

Thanks for your definition and details - I've now added it to the Coffee Shop forum 'acronyms / abbreviations' page.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 29, 2016, 21:23:15 »

There was a Bombardier presentation about their wonderful new train inspection systems (AVIS), which runs each trisn entering the depot past a battery of cameras (visible and IR), laser scanners, etc.

There will be two of these 'sheds' in the new Old Oak Common Crossrail Depot.  Trains will be 'inspected' at a speed of 3mph.

All the train manufactures have a similar system, Hitachi at Ashford and North Pole and Siemens at Three Bridges.

The presentation was okay, could have done with a little more tech info on the trains, the traction pack, hotel services etc

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #610 on: February 29, 2016, 21:37:48 »

The presentation was okay, could have done with a little more tech info on the trains, the traction pack, hotel services etc

While I really do understand your thirst for such technical detail, Electric train, I rather fear that if I as an ordinary passenger was given so much information, my head would possibly explode.  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 29, 2016, 23:54:39 »

Ditto. I see hotel services and I think; restaurant, gym, room service, swimming pool, luggage porter, sauna, shoe shine, concierge...

Some more practical than others on your average train.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 01, 2016, 00:06:08 »

... mini bar, maxi bar, too much breakfast, trouser press ...

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 01, 2016, 09:59:12 »

Ditto. I see hotel services and I think; restaurant, gym, room service, swimming pool, luggage porter, sauna, shoe shine, concierge...

Well, the motion of the train would be good for a swimming pool, creating a wave function, but not so good for the shoe shining.  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 01, 2016, 10:36:44 »

Well, the motion of the train would be good for a swimming pool, creating a wave function, but not so good for the shoe shining.  Cheesy

Obviously you lot go to a different sort of hotel from like what I do.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: