09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
11:23 Swansea to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 12:40:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[49] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] IETs at Melksham
[30] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[28] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[26] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 590982 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #720 on: October 09, 2016, 18:50:51 »

The 387 peels off at Dolphin (which I hope is more than the 40 mph it was in my day!)

That's a flat junction, isn't it?    Won't it interfere with trains coming the other way?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 09, 2016, 18:58:27 »

All flat junctions do - eg Didcot East, Wolvercote, Wootton Basset, Westerleigh etc on GWR (Great Western Railway), and perhaps more relevantly lots on TfL» (Transport for London - about) with intensive services - but that doesn't stop them being used!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 09, 2016, 19:59:13 »

Still 40mph at Dolphin!  Stockley Bridge has a 70mph crossover, but even then you're still introducing four conflicting moves each hour which I would imagine won't be acceptable during normal operations, given the three or so extra trains an hour which will be using the mains in each direction.

Perhaps the odd train in the peak will utilise those crossovers, as they do now.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 10, 2016, 09:10:49 »

We'll just have to wait and see the post Crossrail timetable for 2019.  Looks like it won't please everyone.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #724 on: October 10, 2016, 10:27:17 »

I've always said Crossrail doesn't work West of Padd, or maybe Hayes.

Don't forget they may well be further complications when the Western approach to Heathrow is built it is suggested that GW (Great Western) semi fasts from Reading/ Oxford?t might run through Heathrow ad rejoin at Stockley then to Padd.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #725 on: October 10, 2016, 10:39:38 »

Which will make them slower than the slow Reading/Padd services....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 10, 2016, 10:44:01 »

I've always said Crossrail doesn't work West of Padd, or maybe Hayes.

We'll find out whether you've be right in a couple of years.

Don't forget they may well be further complications when the Western approach to Heathrow is built it is suggested that GW (Great Western) semi fasts from Reading/ Oxford?t might run through Heathrow ad rejoin at Stockley then to Padd.

Which will make them slower than the slow Reading/Padd services....

With grade separated junctions at both ends I don't see it making too much difference, indeed it could make pathing the trains easier as if the Oxford stoppers were routed via Heathrow they wouldn't catch up the previous Crossrail train which has stopped at West Drayton and Iver so quickly, though it won't add that much time to the journey going via Heathrow, 4-5 minutes maybe?  Many years until we have to think about that though!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 10, 2016, 11:07:34 »

Figure 3.10 on page 45 of the Western RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) (dated August 2015) suggests some Class 387 semi-fasts from Newbury and Oxford will be using the ML’s into Padd. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 10, 2016, 11:29:47 »

Yes, that covers the morning peak and as I said there is a chance a few will do then (probably running fast from Twyford, Maidenhead or Slough as they do now) and crossing over at either Maidenhead East, Dolphin Junction or Stockley Bridge.  Bear in mind that they will also likely be one direction only for a couple of hours each peak, so not as conflicting as an all-day both directions service crossing over twice per hour.   I doubt any off-peak trains, with the stopping pattern we've described, will use the main lines.

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 10, 2016, 12:31:39 »

I'm really not liking what I am reading here. Being a local commuter through Reading to Maidenhead it is sounding more and more like I will have to change at Reading onto Crossrail to get to Maidenhead on time, if Crossrail will take priority over FGW (First Great Western) stoppers.

And being a FGW season ticket holder, its still unclear to me if I will then need two season tickets, one for FGW to Reading and one for Crossrail to Maidenhead ?

And if I do, but the timings for me work out that I need Crossrail in order to be at Maidenhead the same time as I am currently, but FGW works better for my commute home, does that mean I will need a FGW season to/from Maidenhead, and a Crossrail to/from Maidenhead?!

Maybe its time to learn to drive ...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 10, 2016, 13:28:36 »

Through season tickets, valid on Crossrail, will exist as they do now for that journey.  Can't promise you won't have to change at Reading mind you, we'll just have to see how the timetables shake up.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #731 on: October 10, 2016, 15:06:36 »

What he said. Through seasons have always been available, why the fear that this would change?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 10, 2016, 21:12:29 »

Through season tickets, valid on Crossrail, will exist as they do now for that journey.  Can't promise you won't have to change at Reading mind you, we'll just have to see how the timetables shake up.

Thanks II.

Quote from: ChrisB
What he said. Through seasons have always been available, why the fear that this would change?

Nothing to do with fear Chris, just a simple not understanding of how the railway works. I have said before that it was only when I found this forum that I even realised different companies served different areas. Prior to starting to commute back in 2008 I hadn't used the trains since 1991, and even then only ever travelled between Paddington and Maidenhead. I knew British Rail no longer existed, but I didn't realise they were split into different companies (I guess as I was never exposed to anything other than the local companies).

I still only do one fixed journey on the railways, only using GWR (Great Western Railway), and have one season ticket with them. I had no clue such things as multi-company through season tickets even existed.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #733 on: October 10, 2016, 21:33:31 »

Fyi, you can get a season from anywhere to anywhere, assuming you can reasonably do it & a days work in a day. Whoever operates the public trains.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 11, 2016, 11:11:28 »

<SNIP>
Agreed, even with some clever timetabling it may not be possible to operate the stoppers at the optimum level, also bearing in mind the reliefs are only 90mph for the best part.

As are the Class 345 trains being built for Crossrail.

This also tells me that they will only let out onto the Mains in extremis.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: