Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:16:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587085 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #780 on: March 01, 2017, 20:42:44 »

Thanks for posting that, Paul.  I would love to see what the revised Iteration 5 looks like.  12tph in the peak heading west would, I guess, mean 4tph to Heathrow, 2tph to Reading, 2tph to Maidenhead, 2tph to West Drayton and...what else....?!  Six to Heathrow? More to Maidenhead or Reading?

Logic is a 15 minute cycle as far as West Drayton - so two more to there.  Every 15 minutes
- a train to Heathrow
- a train to Maidenhead (alternate extended to Reading)
- a train to West Drayton

But the what's going to use that shining new refreshed bay at Hayes and Harlington?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 02, 2017, 00:22:31 »

The bay platform at Hayes would need further extensive and expensive lengthening to fit a 200m Crossrail Class 345 within it.  I think it was only ever meant as a stop-gap platform for the Hayes electric service which is due to cease in May 2018, after which it will be of very limited use.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 02, 2017, 08:59:14 »

And what about the way they can say "we want five semi-fast paths in each peak taken off GWR (Great Western Railway)"? I imagine that will concern members of this forum more!

Quite right. It could almost be seen as franchise amendment by stealth and / or force.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 02, 2017, 09:14:06 »

The bay platform at Hayes would need further extensive and expensive lengthening to fit a 200m Crossrail Class 345 within it.  I think it was only ever meant as a stop-gap platform for the Hayes electric service which is due to cease in May 2018, after which it will be of very limited use.

The drawings of H&H station submitted for planning purposes are marked "new platform 5 face = 237.65 m".

An odd value, you may think. I imagine it's what there is to the end of platform 4, once you close the level access from Station Approach.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 02, 2017, 09:20:22 »

It would be good if a further extension was forthcoming, if only to be able to deal with Elizabeth Line trains when there are problems further west.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #785 on: March 02, 2017, 09:53:24 »

And what about the way they can say "we want five semi-fast paths in each peak taken off GWR (Great Western Railway)"? I imagine that will concern members of this forum more!

Quite right. It could almost be seen as franchise amendment by stealth and / or force.

Those in favour of TfL» (Transport for London - about)/Mayor Khan extending their influence by taking over suburban London services need to think again. This will happen wherever he gets them. They won't release additional paths for longer distance trains as they suggest in an 'agreement' either.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 02, 2017, 10:54:03 »

The drawings of H&H station submitted for planning purposes are marked "new platform 5 face = 237.65 m".

An odd value, you may think. I imagine it's what there is to the end of platform 4, once you close the level access from Station Approach.
It would be good if a further extension was forthcoming, if only to be able to deal with Elizabeth Line trains when there are problems further west.

As I meant to imply, those are the plans as approved and now being built (unless they have run out of money). Sorry if that wasn't clear. The new concourse is at road bridge level but north of the station, leading to the footbridge across the longer platform 5 track.

Platform 5 is longer than shown in the drawings with the act/bill, but then the definitive information they needed to show was the land take and work sites. The station designs came later.

What is much less clear is the status of platform 1. It's shown in the application as existing and extended, but nowhere mentioned in the words, not even the list of extension lengths nor the lighting plan. Nor is there anything to say whether it will be fenced off and unlocked only when needed. But then there is nothing to suggest that platform 2 will be fenced off either.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #787 on: March 02, 2017, 11:41:43 »

Thanks for posting that, Paul.  I would love to see what the revised Iteration 5 looks like. 

Iteration 6 perhaps? :-)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 02, 2017, 12:35:42 »

As I meant to imply, those are the plans as approved and now being built (unless they have run out of money). Sorry if that wasn't clear. The new concourse is at road bridge level but north of the station, leading to the footbridge across the longer platform 5 track.

Platform 5 is longer than shown in the drawings with the act/bill, but then the definitive information they needed to show was the land take and work sites. The station designs came later.

What is much less clear is the status of platform 1. It's shown in the application as existing and extended, but nowhere mentioned in the words, not even the list of extension lengths nor the lighting plan. Nor is there anything to say whether it will be fenced off and unlocked only when needed. But then there is nothing to suggest that platform 2 will be fenced off either.

Good news about Platform 5 - I hadn't realised the concourse was moving up to the road level.  Platform 1 has already been extended and can fit in a full-length Class 345, so no need for further works there - aside from footbridge access to it.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 02, 2017, 13:59:38 »

I thought I had mentioned this somewhere before but the Signalling Scheme Plan shows Hayes and Harlington Platform No.5 as having a useable length of 218m.  Other useable platform lengths are: P1=234m; P2=242m; P3=220m and P4=230m.

Health Warning: The Signalling Scheme Plan is dated June 2011
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 02, 2017, 15:15:37 »

I love the way TfL» (Transport for London - about) can say "We want four new trains", and no-one laughs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the longer term aim of TfL is to have all the relief line passenger train paths east of Maidenhead.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #791 on: March 02, 2017, 15:45:49 »

Oh, I'm sure it is. Isn't that what their track access agreement gives them?

Eventually, to Reading maybe too!

And anyone West of London is disenfranchised anout it too, as they have no vote on the Mayor! Same as those in Amersham on the Met, who can't complain/influence TfL» (Transport for London - about) either.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 02, 2017, 16:15:21 »

Oh, I'm sure it is. Isn't that what their track access agreement gives them?

I don't think it does.  I think it will give other operators (i.e. GWR (Great Western Railway)) the right to two off-peak paths an hour, as well as the peak paths and with freight fitting in the mix too.  That's not to say it might change over time though, as per this proposal we've been discussing since yesterday to take some/all of the peak paths on the relief lines from GWR.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 02, 2017, 16:43:10 »

Note that the new track layout at Maidenhead is arranged so that Eastbound Relief Line services can terminate in Platforms No.4 or 5 and return West therefrom, so watch this space Wink Roll Eyes Shocked
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #794 on: March 02, 2017, 16:53:27 »

Note that the new track layout at Maidenhead is arranged so that Eastbound Relief Line services can terminate in Platforms No.4 or 5 and return West therefrom, so watch this space Wink Roll Eyes Shocked

They can also turnround from the East in Platform 2 Up Main but only from the Down Main back onto the Up. There is a stop signal at the West end of the platform 2,
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: