Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 04:47:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587104 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #825 on: March 12, 2017, 15:39:55 »

Wharncliffe and Hanwell viaducts would also be very significant obstacles to a 6-track railway as well as those that have been mentioned.  Can't see it ever happening in a traditional 6-track sense.  A more likely (but still unlikely) way forward would be a tunnelled separate High Speed route from
London to a significant way out.

Isn't it cheaper to raise the tracks/cf on stilts for sxample, than tunnel? Far easier too?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 12, 2017, 18:00:31 »

Quite possibly cheaper but I would think that method would be very difficult to bring to fruition, as it would be very hard to get the various planning consents needed.  Also, with a tunnel you can go pretty much what route you please without having to choose an alignment that fits in with all the various existing buildings and topography above ground which makes suburban London so difficult.  Hence HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) finally deciding on tunnelling out as far as Ruislip which is the equivalent distance to West Drayton on the GWML (Great Western Main Line).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 14, 2017, 11:40:11 »

Quite possibly cheaper but I would think that method would be very difficult to bring to fruition, as it would be very hard to get the various planning consents needed.  Also, with a tunnel you can go pretty much what route you please without having to choose an alignment that fits in with all the various existing buildings and topography above ground which makes suburban London so difficult.  Hence HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) finally deciding on tunnelling out as far as Ruislip which is the equivalent distance to West Drayton on the GWML (Great Western Main Line).

I would argue that if TfL» (Transport for London - about) wants to increase the frequency of Crossrail trains in London then it should do that in a manner which does not disadvantage other users of public transport - many of whom will be well out of TfL's area. The corollary is that it should build its own dedicated tracks. Taking up IndustryInsider's point about tunnelling enabling one to build the route that one pleases then I would suggest Crossrail could build a swoop to the north of the GW (Great Western) route through Greenford, Yeading, Hillingdon, Cowley/Uxbridge, Iver Heath, Wexham then cross under the GW main line at Slough and terminate at Windsor Central.

Windsor is quite far enough to travel on what is essentially a tube train and these other areas would get a much more direct and faster link to the centre of London!

This would leave the GW able to run a semi-fast/stopping service on the Relief lines more suitable for the areas out to Oxford and Newbury and also leave space for the freight trains. It would also mean the Crossrail trains won't get in the way of the additional trains serving Heathrow using the proposed Western Approaches.

What's not to like?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #828 on: March 14, 2017, 11:47:08 »

London tax-payers would be funding the tunnelling outside London? Oohh, can't have that!

While TfL» (Transport for London - about) will happily take over lines outwith their jurisdiction free of charge, they won't allow their tax-payers to fund projects outside their area, oh no!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #829 on: March 21, 2017, 08:30:05 »

Rumour has it switch on Stockley Jn to Maidenhead this Sunday 26/3.

I'll be off down to Taplow to hug the footbridge.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 28, 2017, 14:09:59 »

3) Stabling sidings:

I noticed these whilst whizzing through Maidenhead yesterday.

It looks like there are 4 or 5 sidings .....is this all going to be needed, bearing in mind that Crossrail will now go to Reading, and presumably 387's will only terminate/turn-around at Maidenhead until they start to be used on services further west?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 28, 2017, 14:29:16 »

3) Stabling sidings:

I noticed these whilst whizzing through Maidenhead yesterday.

It looks like there are 4 or 5 sidings .....is this all going to be needed, bearing in mind that Crossrail will now go to Reading, and presumably 387's will only terminate/turn-around at Maidenhead until they start to be used on services further west?

I'm dubious of the logic that suggests.

Trains usually turn at platform if they can, and would only go to a siding for a longer wait or if space is really short (as may be true at Reading before long). Where you want to start and end peak-only diagrams is, I suspect, quite a complicated matter.

Most trains start from wherever they live, not usually a passenger hub, and travel to their start point ECS (Empty Coaching Stock). Maidenhead would be better than that for any start point into London other than Reading: Maidenhead, Slough, West Drayton, or even further east. So why not, if the land's already lined up? I don't think there's much space, if any, for Crossrail at Reading.

In any case, the notion that you mustn't have a siding unless it's used every night is the kind of thing that gets today's railway planners (and the accountants and other lurking behind them) a bad name.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 28, 2017, 15:21:47 »

Six sidings to be used for overnight stabling/cleaning.  I imagine they'll be used for the early services in from Reading or Maidenhead.  Whether all six will be in regular use, who knows, but stabling space is at a premium with the number of additional carriages being brought in and I doubt they'll be room for many 9-car trains at Reading.  Daytime trains should used the platforms or turn back siding at Maidenhead most of the time I'd have thought.

[mods: perhaps these discussions should be moved to the Crossrail thread?]

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 28, 2017, 19:59:55 »

Thanks for the replies, guess I'm not as much of an expert on railway ops as I think I am  Wink

Having said that there were quite a few 387's parked up at West Ealing (I think it is, outside Plasser's) when I passed yesterday, maybe Maidenhead will be a better stabling home for them?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 28, 2017, 20:11:24 »

No offence, but what have the number of sidings at Maidenhead for Crossrail etc got to do with infrastructure problems causing delays? Shouldn't this be on another thread?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 29, 2017, 13:51:17 »

Does anyone know of a link to a finalised track layout for Maidenhead?   

I do have a diagram downloaded from the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) site a few years ago, but I reckon it is now overtaken by events, such as not building a new platform for the branch...

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #836 on: March 29, 2017, 17:31:05 »

[mods: perhaps these discussions should be moved to the Crossrail thread?]

Shouldn't this be on another thread?

Now done.  CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 10, 2017, 22:01:20 »

Three noteworthy items:

1) The track for the Maidenhead Turnback Siding was laid over the weekend.  To be ballasted, tamped and commissioned over next weekend presumably?

2) The extended part of Platform 12 at Paddington, what will be the widened old Platform 13, has had canopy support structures installed out to what will be the platform edge, so there will be full canopy coverage.  I remember somebody asking the question a while back.

3) Island platform extensions at Hayes, Southall, West Ealing and Acton Main Line are now being constructed, in readiness for 9-car trains from May 2018.  Other locations and platforms that need extensions look likely to be started on imminently.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 17:54:13 by IndustryInsider » Logged

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: May 02, 2017, 11:36:22 »

The turnback siding and remaining four stabling sidings at Maidenhead were commissioned over the weekend - as can be seen by the pretty red lights on the OpenTrainTimes map.

Only available for emergency use until the walkways and other furnishings are finished in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 19:22:39 by IndustryInsider » Logged

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: May 02, 2017, 14:45:08 »

The turnbuckles siding and remaining four stabling sidings at Maidenhead were commissioned over the weekend - as can be seen by the pretty red lights on the OpenTrainTimes map.

Only available for emergency use until the walkways and other furnishings are finished in a few weeks.
...love the new name for a turnback siding.... Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: