Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:53:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587015 times)
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: July 16, 2017, 17:22:01 »

As has been posted in another forum (uk.railway), and I must say that I agree with the sentiments expressed which is why I am doing a cut-and-paste job here, it seems that the basic issue with increasing the Crossrail frequencies is that TfL» (Transport for London - about) wants to run trains at metro/tube-type frequencies over part of a mixed traffic railway. This railway also serves communities 60 or more miles from London and carries significant volumes of freight traffic. To me it seems perverse that London's perceived interests can result in people and companies a long way away being disadvantaged.

The freight issue seems to have been a bit forgotten although Crossrail has paid for the new diveunder at the entrance to Acton yard. When questions of pathing crop up it is often suggested that freight can run off-peak or at night. I don't think this is a long term solution. The FOCs (Freight Operating Company) run on such wafer-thin margins that if their usage of their locos, wagons and staff are constrained in such a way that their unit costs are increased and they lose some traffic it doesn't help anyone - least of all people using the roads. Similarly why should the passenger from Pangbourne to Slough or Goring to Maidenhead (as examples) have his or her journey made more complicated or less convenient?

If TfL want to run its London-centric services at such high frequencies that it affects other services which in a sense have 'grandfather rights' it should buy its own tracks. In the first instance I would suggest least as far as the Airport/Stockley Junctions.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #931 on: July 17, 2017, 09:36:55 »

As well as Crossrail, waiting in the wings to use the Relief Lines are Heathrow Express to their depot at Langley and the Western Link to Heathrow. In both cases if built.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 17, 2017, 10:23:47 »

I would imagine the western link will use the existing Crossrail train paths with through trains from Reading via Heathrow to Shenfield/Abbey Wood, though that does throw up a problem for Iver and West Drayton which would then be missed out.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 17, 2017, 11:40:06 »

it is often suggested that freight can run off-peak or at night

the trouble with running freight off peak is that TfL» (Transport for London - about) seems to want regular interval frequent services throughout the day. 
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #934 on: July 17, 2017, 12:31:25 »

I would imagine the western link will use the existing Crossrail train paths with through trains from Reading via Heathrow to Shenfield/Abbey Wood, though that does throw up a problem for Iver and West Drayton which would then be missed out.

IT has been said by Crossrail spokesmen that they have no wish to run past T5. Therefore it would be for the mainline operator to run through to Paddington. Although the Link designers are planning to provide a crossover box just West of T5 to allow a shuttle service from the West.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 17, 2017, 12:38:54 »

Let's just re-emphasise that even after all these announcements  (since about March),  the actual off-peak service increase is still just the two extra trains to Heathrow T5.  So as far as the impact on freight is concerned this should be between Acton Yard and Stockley only, and between Stockley and Reading the off-peak timetable hasn't changed as far as I can see.

So is it possible that taken across the wider internet there's a bit of an exaggeration?   TfL» (Transport for London - about) run a higher intensity service on the NLL amongst freights as far as I can see, without the world ending...

Paul
John R

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 17, 2017, 13:25:51 »

IT has been said by Crossrail spokesmen that they have no wish to run past T5. Therefore it would be for the mainline operator to run through to Paddington. Although the Link designers are planning to provide a crossover box just West of T5 to allow a shuttle service from the West.

Though it would appear much more efficient to run Crossrail services from T5 to Reading once the western link is open.  Else you have two lots of terminating trains turning round at Heathrow, which can be removed by running through. 
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 17, 2017, 18:32:33 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) run a higher intensity service on the NLL amongst freights as far as I can see, without the world ending...

Huh

6tph off peak, 8tph in the peak on the NLL. Admittedly though more freights run across this section than the GWR (Great Western Railway)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 25, 2017, 13:05:42 »

If you want to see the spectacular acceleration of the new Crossrail Class 345s, then take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxb35_oBsV4

Leaves anything else on the national rail network standing in the starting blocks!  Also note how obediently the passengers observe the 'please don't board when the doors are closing announcement' especially the girl in the pink rucksack who looks completely uninterested in boarding until making a last gasp kamikaze leap!  Cheesy

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 25, 2017, 14:32:09 »

If you want to see the spectacular acceleration of the new Crossrail Class 345s, then take a look at this video:

Supposedly that is needed for those 1 in 27 slopes in the tunnels. However, as I think they are (like on the deep tubes) up into stations, it's not clear it needs much spare acceleration up them.

How much of that traction you can safely use, and base the timetable on, when on rails left lying about in the weather is another matter.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 17:17:23 by stuving » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 25, 2017, 16:33:49 »

Takes some getting used to not having a yellow end...... Tongue
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 25, 2017, 17:18:57 »

Pills working, then, are they?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 27, 2017, 20:46:36 »

Pills working, then, are they?

Its ok for the S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) at least they still have double yellows  Grin Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 17, 2017, 21:45:10 »

I had a trip on a Class 345 train today.  Plenty of pictures and videos are available from other sources so I won't bother posting them.

The overall experience was pretty positive.  Talk of 'cattle trucks' is not borne out of my experiences today and the train has a lovely spacious feeling inside with the purple and grey colour scheme looking very nice in my opinion.  Tinted glass panels at various points help give a feeling of segregation, and the mix of longitudinal and transverse seats blend quite well.  I personally would have preferred a higher ratio of transverse seats but this would not have enabled any more seats to have been installed, and you have to remember this is designed as a mass people mover - something it will do very well.  Ditto I would have liked to see a toilet or two installed.

Negatives include the CIS (Customer Information System) and announcements, which do not make best use of the design and can be confusing.  Hopefully they will be resolved with a software update.

Ride quality was smooth and acceleration excellent.  No idea if it was maxing out, but we did 0-60 in under 35 seconds, by which time a Turbo would be doing less than half that speed!

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 26, 2017, 16:08:33 »

Latest progress update from TfL» (Transport for London - about).  Too long to quote here:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/board-20170919-item11-elizabeth-line-final.pdf
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: