Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:16:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587022 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: April 17, 2018, 15:25:46 »

Oh dear.  As widely predicted by those with experience of these things.....http://www.cityam.com/284143/rollout-new-elizabeth-line-trains-stalls-heathrow-branch

Rollout of new Elizabeth Line trains stalls on Heathrow branch due to train signalling troubles

The rollout of new Elizabeth Line trains on the Heathrow branch of the Crossrail route has been delayed because testing them with the new signalling system has been complex, and taken longer than expected.

As you say, predictable, which makes it pure Hofstadter's Law. As a reminder:

"Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 18:36:18 by stuving » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 17, 2018, 17:51:47 »

Oh dear.  As widely predicted by those with experience of these things.....http://www.cityam.com/284143/rollout-new-elizabeth-line-trains-stalls-heathrow-branch

Rollout of new Elizabeth Line trains stalls on Heathrow branch due to train signalling troubles

The rollout of new Elizabeth Line trains on the Heathrow branch of the Crossrail route has been delayed because testing them with the new signalling system has been complex, and taken longer than expected.

As you say, predictable, which makes it pure Hofstadter's Law. As a reminder:

"It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."

And the railway factor time scales are logarithmic

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 29, 2018, 10:03:51 »

It is anticipated that Crossrail services will start using the core in December, with the introduction of Abbey Wood to Paddington services. Whilst this is to be taken with a pinch of salt, a ghost timetable has been published onto the open data feeds, which may well give an indication of the level of service from December.

To summarise, this suggests the first service will be at 05:40, followed by 05:48, 05:56, 06:00, and then every 4 minutes until 22:45 when services start to wind down, with some terminating at Whitechapel with final services at 23:45 to Abbey Wood and 23:53 to Whitechapel

Heading Westbound, the first arrivals at Paddington would be the 06:05 from Whitechapel, 06:13 from Custom House, 06:21 from Whitechapel and 06:29 from Abbey Wood. Services every 4 minutes from Abbey Wood until 23:41, with services then winding down to every 8 minutes with the last service arriving Paddington at 00:26.

Full Service at Paddington

Example Eastbound Service

Example Westbound Service

*Note to mods, why is the Crossrail thread in "Across the West", and not in "London to Reading" along with the 387 thread?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 29, 2018, 10:22:36 »

It is anticipated that Crossrail services will start using the core in December, with the introduction of Abbey Wood to Paddington services. Whilst this is to be taken with a pinch of salt, a ghost timetable has been published onto the open data feeds, which may well give an indication of the level of service from December.

To summarise, this suggests the first service will be at 05:40, followed by 05:48, 05:56, 06:00, and then every 4 minutes until 22:45 when services start to wind down, with some terminating at Whitechapel with final services at 23:45 to Abbey Wood and 23:53 to Whitechapel

Heading Westbound, the first arrivals at Paddington would be the 06:05 from Whitechapel, 06:13 from Custom House, 06:21 from Whitechapel and 06:29 from Abbey Wood. Services every 4 minutes from Abbey Wood until 23:41, with services then winding down to every 8 minutes with the last service arriving Paddington at 00:26.

Full Service at Paddington

Example Eastbound Service

Example Westbound Service

*Note to mods, why is the Crossrail thread in "Across the West", and not in "London to Reading" along with the 387 thread?

This should lead to a good start allowing the new core stations to shake down, also by limiting it to Padd - Abbey Wood the only interaction with the National network will be for ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) from OOC (Old Oak Common (depot))

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1024 on: July 29, 2018, 12:19:45 »

Look at the journey times

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G35227/2018/08/01/advanced

Tottenham Court Road 4 mins
Farringdon 7 mins
Liverpool St 9 Mins
Canary Wharf 16 mins

I'm not normally one given to predictions but I reckon these trains will be rammed at peak hours within a week of starting operations.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 29, 2018, 12:43:25 »

Farringdon 7 mins
Liverpool St 9 Mins
Canary Wharf 16 mins

vs Tottenham Court Road 12 mins (with a change)
vs Farringdon 15 mins
vs Liverpool Street 20 mins
vs Canary Wharf 23 mins (with a change)
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1026 on: July 29, 2018, 13:05:30 »

Farringdon 7 mins
Liverpool St 9 Mins
Canary Wharf 16 mins

vs Tottenham Court Road 12 mins (with a change)
vs Farringdon 15 mins
vs Liverpool Street 20 mins
vs Canary Wharf 23 mins (with a change)

Yes, I've seen these figures quoted. I don't know where they get them from.

I've never managed Tottenham Court Road from Padd in 12 mins using either the Bakerloo and changing at Oxford Circus or doing the 'Lancaster Gate Shuffle' and Central Line. OK I'm far from the first flush of youth though I can manage a brisk walk  Cheesy

Similarly I can't recall getting from Padd to Farringdon in 15 mins and Liv St in 20. Kings X/St Pancras is 15 on a good run, and more like 20 to Farringdon and 25 at least to Liv St. I think I've managed under 30 mins from Canary Wharf to Padd via Baker St but that was a noteable exception (and to be fair, the Jubilee Line is fast)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 29, 2018, 13:55:36 »

These were figures that I produced (I'm sure an official set are somewhere) using the TFL (Transport for London) Journey Planner. 12 minutes to Tottenham Court Road would require a minimum connection at Oxford Circus but is certainly doable. 15/20 minutes to Farringdon/Liverpool Street are correct and is verified by the TFL Working Timetables, but does quite often seem longer when you have to wait at Edgware Road and then at Baker Street for a minute or two.

Baker Street to Canary Wharf is 18 minutes so perhaps around 25 from Paddington rather than 23
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: July 29, 2018, 14:26:37 »

Look at the dwell times.  It will never work..... Tongue
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1029 on: July 30, 2018, 08:14:28 »

Look at the dwell times.  It will never work..... Tongue

Depends on whether the 1000+  people without seats:

"Move further Down the Cars.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 30, 2018, 15:54:50 »

Similarly I can't recall getting from Padd to Farringdon in 15 mins and Liv St in 20.

Agreed. The Circle/Hammersmith and City from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is notoriously slow through Edgware Road, and especially at Baker Street, where you often get held for Metropolitan Line trains joining/crossing ahead.

Not unusual in my experience for Liverpool St. to be close on 30 mins from PAD.

It will be full from day 1 as so many people have been waiting for it for so long. 16 mins to Canary Wharf vs. about 35/40 minimum (whichever way you do it) today is going to be very welcome (and popular).

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 30, 2018, 17:32:47 »

It will also be popular with those people on the existing services who will no longer have to share trains with those ramming the Crossrail service.

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 01, 2018, 11:18:39 »

It will also be popular with those people on the existing services who will no longer have to share trains with those ramming the Crossrail service.

Indeed, it's going to be very interesting to see how ridership changes and for example what percentage of the Jubilee Line traffic going eastbound from north of the Thames going to Canary Wharf switches to Crossrail, and how quickly. I suspect that Lancaster Gate station will be a lot quieter, as the people who walk from Paddington to catch the Central Line hop onto Crossrail.

Likewise it's going to be interesting to see how many Reading commuters switch to Crossrail for a direct service. Comfort vs convenience I guess. 
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 01, 2018, 11:35:55 »

I'm quite keen to know how many of the fast services from Maidenhead and Twyford will survive. At the moment I'm not sure Crossrail works for my personal commute but it may be its the only option. Talking to regulars on my train most plan to keep with the fast GWR (Great Western Railway) services and tube (even if that becomes picking up Crossrail at Paddington).
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 01, 2018, 11:44:02 »

Indeed, it's going to be very interesting to see how ridership changes and for example what percentage of the Jubilee Line traffic going eastbound from north of the Thames going to Canary Wharf switches to Crossrail, and how quickly. I suspect that Lancaster Gate station will be a lot quieter, as the people who walk from Paddington to catch the Central Line hop onto Crossrail.
Going to be interesting to see what effect it has on the Central line as well. Might make it usable again.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: