Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:42:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 586976 times)
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: January 11, 2019, 15:55:35 »

Wow! That's even worse than the London Reconnection's latest assessment.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 11, 2019, 17:12:19 »

If you think it looks bad though: Think of Berlin Brandenburg Airport
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 11, 2019, 17:58:47 »

Its not looking very good.....and appologies, its avery long read..... Roll Eyes

Just posted on New Civil Engineer website

True scale of Crossrail problems laid bare

The full scale of Crossrail’s problems have been laid bare with stations now revealed to be at the centre of ‘‘three more years’’ of work needed to open the catastrophically delayed metro.

This is truly a said state of affairs. 

Way back in early 2015 a senior member of the Thameslink Program left NR» (Network Rail - home page) to oversee the Crossrail tunel fit out; I can clearly remember him going through the outline program with me as I was nearing completion of a relitvly simple Canal Tunnels project, I did mention to him what he had outlines was optomistic but he was convinced that they had all the construction equipment, supplies and staff all lined up and trained.

The fit out and then systems testing, commissioning and finally intigration testing and shakedown always take longer than project directors plan for

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 11, 2019, 18:32:08 »

Presumably the "Autumn 2020" opening is now in doubt ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: January 11, 2019, 21:26:01 »

Presumably the "Autumn 2020" opening is now in doubt ?

Well it does say three years in that report, so even being optomistic I think we might be looking at early 2022...... Shocked
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 11, 2019, 23:11:41 »

If you think it looks bad though: Think of Berlin Brandenburg Airport

Yes. After all these years of me using Schönefeld, I can't believe I am still having to use it. It was supposed to have been shut down many years ago.
I don't like the food offerings. I want more than Burger King. Other German airports give much more choice.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: January 11, 2019, 23:26:14 »

Well at least someone appears to be better at coming forward with a more open and honest revelation of what's gone (or going) wrong. It would be nice to see something similar about the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification debacle!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 12, 2019, 00:22:18 »

Well at least someone appears to be better at coming forward with a more open and honest revelation of what's gone (or going) wrong. It would be nice to see something similar about the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification debacle!

When the - quite short - delay was first admitted, I thought the main reason was management being so committed to meeting the targets that they had deluded themselves that it was still possible (helped by a bit of frog-boiling). Given the size of the backlog now revealed, that isn't credible; something else must be involved.

But it's still true that the old management had a vested interest in hiding the bad news, in the (vain, almost always) hope it might get better with time. Mark Wild's self-interest, on the other hand, is in finding everything that's not perfect and putting the blame on the Morgan Crew. If I was him I'd look to err on the pessimistic side, and overstate the delays a bit, rather than risk fixing a new date and then missing that. So a date projected from his statements could well move earlier as work progresses.

I had loads of arguments at work with project managers and directors who insisted on customers seeing progress reported through rose-tinted Gantt charts. The trouble with that is you back-load the bad news, and end up scrambling to deliver after your last promised date ... several times over.  I would always rather withhold good news until it was clearly in the bag, on the grounds that I wanted the punters' last impression of our performance to be a good one. Good news last, rather than good news first.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 12, 2019, 07:48:51 »

I had loads of arguments at work with project managers and directors who insisted on customers seeing progress reported through rose-tinted Gantt charts. The trouble with that is you back-load the bad news, and end up scrambling to deliver after your last promised date ... several times over.  I would always rather withhold good news until it was clearly in the bag, on the grounds that I wanted the punters' last impression of our performance to be a good one. Good news last, rather than good news first.

And here far too often inlays the problem, senior program directors / managers even engineers are not immune of "tell the client what they want to hear" the view being the client is only interested in the end product and now how its got to

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 12, 2019, 09:02:25 »

The interesting point for me in this was that the upper layers of management, and the press and relationship side was run down through 2018 as if everything was on schedule.

Maybe otherwise there could have been more old-fashioned 'Management by Walking About' where the fact that things weren't anywhere near ready could have been seen by a few pairs of eyes rather than slavishly believing reported RAG (Radstock Action Group) sheets.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 12, 2019, 09:17:02 »

Is "Rail Project to be delivered years late and massively over budget" even News any more? Sounds more like Business as Usual.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 12, 2019, 11:42:47 »

Is "Rail Project to be delivered years late and massively over budget" even News any more? Sounds more like Business as Usual.

I often wonder how long it would of taken Brunel and his navvies to of built it.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 12, 2019, 12:25:42 »

I often wonder how long it would of taken Brunel and his navvies to of built it.

Do you often wonder how many of his navvies would have died as well?  (More than 100 on Box Tunnel alone.)
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 12, 2019, 12:28:14 »

Do you often wonder how many of his navvies would have died as well?  (More than 100 on Box Tunnel alone.)

Is that so, that's awful, never believed that, what were they doing about their health and safety, and how did they probably die?.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 12, 2019, 13:46:28 »

I doubt that detailed and accurate records are available from the Brunel era, but it is known that many lives were lost in the building of box tunnel, and on other large civil engineering projects.

Common causes of death included being crushed or buried by cave-ins and collapses, falls from a height, run over by wagons, and accidents with explosives (gun powder in those days, modern explosives are safer to handle)

Modern health and safety standards add to costs and to the time taken, but OTOH (On The Other Hand) modern machinery increases work rates, and powered machinery reduces the numbers of workers engaged on a task, and therefore also reduces the number of potential victims if an accident occurs.
Medical care has improved greatly, many workers today survive accidents that would have been fatal in earlier times.

Present day safety standards should NOT be blamed for the Crossrail delays, these standards were known about at the planning stage and should have allowed for.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: