Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:07:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587044 times)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: February 23, 2019, 20:07:57 »

A full cab video has now appeared here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZZqR6qiVE

Was it running wrong line?

OTC
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 23, 2019, 21:15:42 »

A full cab video has now appeared here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yZZqR6qiVE

Was it running wrong line?

OTC

Either that or videoed from the rear cab and the footage reversed.    Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1172 on: March 18, 2019, 08:38:11 »

Transport for London has again been accused of hiding problems on Crossrail from London mayor Sadiq Khan - https://www.building.co.uk/news/tfl-boss-accused-of-hiding-crossrail-problems-from-london-mayor-/5098442.article

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1173 on: March 29, 2019, 06:27:12 »

From The Evening Standard

Not a single new Crossrail station complete and train testing on hold

None of the nine new Crossrail stations are complete and testing of the £1 billion fleet of trains in tunnels has been “paused” due to technical issues, it has been revealed.

Crossrail chief executive Mark Wild said he faced a “massive issue” getting stations finished by the end of the summer — which is key to being able to open the delayed line next year.

All stations should have been completed by 2016 but construction issues are among a multitude of reasons why opening has been delayed by more than a year, causing costs to soar by £2 billion to £17.6 billion.

[etc]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 03, 2019, 11:32:26 »

Oh dear, the (non) Blame game has started.....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47787367

Its too long to fully quote here but here is a sample:
'Warning signs ignored'

A report by the Commons' Public Accounts Committee found an "unacceptably laissez-faire" attitude to project costs from the overlapping organisations.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and Crossrail Ltd "are unable to fully explain how the programme has been allowed to unravel," the report found.

All three bodies were "unwilling to pinpoint responsibility to a single individual or entity", the committee said.

So where were all those highly paid Project Management and Programme Control Managers then...…?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 06, 2019, 11:17:19 »

Oh dear, the (non) Blame game has started.....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47787367

Its too long to fully quote here but here is a sample:
'Warning signs ignored'

A report by the Commons' Public Accounts Committee found an "unacceptably laissez-faire" attitude to project costs from the overlapping organisations.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and Crossrail Ltd "are unable to fully explain how the programme has been allowed to unravel," the report found.

All three bodies were "unwilling to pinpoint responsibility to a single individual or entity", the committee said.

So where were all those highly paid Project Management and Programme Control Managers then...…?

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) ……………………….  Roll Eyes

If only i was joking quite a large number have got jobs there

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1176 on: April 09, 2019, 10:45:02 »

We now have schedule for when we're going to be given the new schedule - though the latter is just marked "possible".

A POSSIBLE opening date for Crossrail under central London could be announced by the end of the month, according to chief executive Mark Wild.

However, he is warning that progress continues to be hampered by several problems, including a shortage of skills among contractors as well as software issues and a safety-critical failure which has caused close-headway tests in the tunnels between Paddington and Liverpool Street to be postponed from 18 March until after Easter.

Mr Wild has been spelling out the causes of the continuing delay in a letter to London Assembly transport committee chair Caroline Pidgeon, but he has not revealed what the safety-critical failure was.

He wrote: ‘We remain committed to being able to provide an opening window – the Earliest Opening Programme – in April.

From Rail News - headlined

Complexity and skills shortage still hampering Crossrail

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1177 on: April 16, 2019, 08:24:45 »

Satellite radar reveals Crossrail tunnels under London - https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2019/04/16/satellite-radar-reveals-crossrail-tunnels-under-london/

More than 6,000 people still working on Crossrail - https://www.building.co.uk/news/more-than-6000-people-still-working-on-crossrail/5099016.article

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1178 on: April 18, 2019, 03:49:54 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Crossrail 'could be delayed until 2021'

... The source said, with the current state of the project in mind, a "best case scenario" would be the new Elizabeth Line opening in spring 2020.

A "middle probability case" would be the summer of next year.

"A worst case is the spring of 2021." ...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 04:33:42 by grahame » Logged

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 18, 2019, 06:00:05 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Crossrail 'could be delayed until 2021'

... The source said, with the current state of the project in mind, a "best case scenario" would be the new Elizabeth Line opening in spring 2020.

A "middle probability case" would be the summer of next year.

"A worst case is the spring of 2021." ...

The general rule when a rail project is announced - stick a finger in the air, add several years and several billion to the forecast and you may get somewhere close...….. Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1180 on: April 19, 2019, 17:18:00 »

From the Daily Mail

More than 50 new Crossrail trains are sitting idle in a north-west London depot

The trains should have been up and running by now on the new Elizabeth line

Just 15 of 70 new trains are being used for existing, limited, Crossrail services

Crossrail bosses have warned the wait could be another two years until 2021 

No great surprise ... and I don't know what the cost of leasing a modern electric coach in a 7 car train is these days, but I do remember a figure of around £140k per annum for a 15 year old diesel multiple unit carriage, from early in this decade.   Using those figure.   55 * 7 * 140000 * 2 = £107,800,000 over 2 years.  I see a note they're being extended to 9 carriages ... which would put that figure up to £138,600,000.    I'm not terribly sure who owns them, nor who took the risk on being able to have them earn money ... but what could you buy for £138 million?

* A 4 platform station at Wilton - £19 million
* A 2 platform station at Pilning Westgate - £7 million
* A 2 platform station at Aztec West with the engineering issues sorted - £14 million
* 30 years salary for a Community Rail officer for Heart of Wessex - £1.3 million
* Two dynamic loops between Thingley Junction and Bradford Junction - £28 million
... wait - I have only spent a half of the money so far ...
* A new station at Devizes Parkway - £12 million
* Catch up on engineering between Taunton and Minhead and seed commuter and winter service, 3 years - £6 million
* Engineering works and seed passenger service to Fawley via Marchwood,Hounsdown, Hythe - £22 million
* Seeding an extension of the service via Westbury to Swindon up to Oxford hourly - £2 million
* Seeding to extend the hourly Paddington - Bedwyn service to Exeter in place of the 2 hourly semifast - £3 million
* 4th platform at Westbury - £6 million (can't quite believe that figure!)
* Extend Bristol MetroWest to Frome (every half hour) and Yeovil (every hour) - seeding - £2 million
* Link Swindon-Westbury, Westbury - Salisbury and Salisbury - Romsey - Eastleigh = SOU - Fawley - £1 million

And I make it that I've still got £10 million contingency left there.

£138 million may sound like a figure that's so big it's hard to take in, but when you look at all these projects that could be done for that su, you start to appreciate the true cost - in lease charge losses alone - of the Crossrail delay.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 19, 2019, 17:30:07 »

From the Daily Mail

Just 15 of 70 new trains are being used for existing, limited, Crossrail services

No great surprise ... and I don't know what the cost of leasing a modern electric coach in a 7 car train is these days, but I do remember a figure of around £140k per annum for a 15 year old diesel multiple unit carriage, from early in this decade.   Using those figure.   55 * 7 * 140000 * 2 = £107,800,000 over 2 years.  I see a note they're being extended to 9 carriages ... which would put that figure up to £138,600,000.    I'm not terribly sure who owns them, nor who took the risk on being able to have them earn money ... but what could you buy for £138 million?

* A 2 platform station at Aztec West with the engineering issues sorted - £14 million
* 30 years salary for a Community Rail officer for Heart of Wessex - £1.3 million
* Two dynamic loops between Thingley Junction and Bradford Junction - £28 million
* Catch up on engineering between Taunton and Minhead and seed commuter and winter service, 3 years - £6 million
* Engineering works and seed passenger service to Fawley via Marchwood,Hounsdown, Hythe - £22 million
* Seeding an extension of the service via Westbury to Swindon up to Oxford hourly - £2 million
* Seeding to extend the hourly Paddington - Bedwyn service to Exeter in place of the 2 hourly semifast - £3 million
* Extend Bristol MetroWest to Frome (every half hour) and Yeovil (every hour) - seeding - £2 million
* Link Swindon-Westbury, Westbury - Salisbury and Salisbury - Romsey - Eastleigh = SOU - Fawley - £1 million

£138 million may sound like a figure that's so big it's hard to take in, but when you look at all these projects that could be done for that su, you start to appreciate the true cost - in lease charge losses alone - of the Crossrail delay.

Probably fair to say that being rail related, all those infrastructure projects would be massively delayed and overspent too, so your contingency probably needs another zero!  Smiley
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1182 on: April 19, 2019, 18:10:49 »

From the Daily Mail

Probably fair to say that being rail related, all those infrastructure projects would be massively delayed and overspent too, so your contingency probably needs another zero!  Smiley

If I were a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Civil Servant (like that's going to happen anytime in the next millennium) in charge of allocating such sums of money to such projects, then I would make it clear that was the limit of my contribution, and as they (local authorities, TOCs (Train Operating Company), Network Rail etc) are the scheme promoters, my funding would be dependent on them managing their projects effectively and making sure they had enough in reserve to cover any delays or cost overruns.

They would still most likely bite my hand off, which would mean that if they get built, my department would get most of the credit for providing most of the funding, and if they didnt get built, then they would get the blame for not managing their project properly.

Winner, Winner, DfT Chicken Dinner.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 20, 2019, 08:48:49 »

The problem with Crossrail is it has been a London Mayor political jewel, irrespective of the rosette colour at each mayoral election the incumbent would never want Crossrail to appear to be failing; indeed the previous incumbent renamed it to the Elizabeth line , whilst I am a great admirer of the HM the Queen the renaming was more about a political ambition by a certain individual.
DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have not had the full control over Crossrail as it is a TfL» (Transport for London - about) project hence more accountable to the London Assembly than Parliament   

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1184 on: April 23, 2019, 05:18:28 »

The problem with Crossrail is it has been a London Mayor political jewel, irrespective of the rosette colour at each mayoral election the incumbent would never want Crossrail to appear to be failing; indeed the previous incumbent renamed it to the Elizabeth line , whilst I am a great admirer of the HM the Queen the renaming was more about a political ambition by a certain individual.

"Don't tell the mayor" ... The Guardian and multiple other sources this morning

Transport for London’s commissioner should consider his position over his handling of the much-delayed Crossrail project, according to a damning City Hall report.

The London assembly transport committee accuses Mike Brown of downplaying risks about the £17.6bn flagship infrastructure scheme in weekly updates to the capital’s mayor, Sadiq Khan.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: