Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:58:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 586993 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: June 26, 2019, 17:13:14 »

So - fingers crossed and touch wood - this looks like Elizabeth Line trains to take the bulk of the strain of Reading - Paddington services by the time the new timetable starts, releasing class the 379s left after the pool has been raided for Heathrow Express for the remainder of the electrified Thames Valley services.

Yes - though CRL's announcement is not actually that new; it was presented to the TfL» (Transport for London - about) board meeting a month ago. At the same meeting, the TfL Commissioner's report included:
We are working with Crossrail Ltd, Network Rail and the Government to progress plans to take over services between Paddington main line station and Reading from the end of 2019.
Dynamic testing of the trains in the tunnels has continued with intensive work to further increase the reliability of the train software and enable trains to operate across the three signalling systems. Trains have been operating at line speed (100 kph/62 mph) in the central section using the new automatic signalling system and close-headway multi-train testing.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: July 20, 2019, 09:19:58 »

More cost and delay highlighted;

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/crossrail-delay-cost-rail-east-west-line-london-mps-a9012101.html

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/crossrail-bosses-accused-by-mps-over-letting-down-taxpayers-in-twoyear-delay-a4193941.html
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 03, 2019, 20:12:40 »

Interesting programme on C5 now....."Crossrail- where did it all go wrong?"
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 03, 2019, 21:42:47 »

Interesting programme on C5 now....."Crossrail- where did it all go wrong?"

It certainly was. Highlighted many issues to do with funding but also further uncertainty of who is to blame..
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 04, 2019, 18:00:57 »

The lesson seems to be that the tunneling was easy, and we weren't ready for building the railway in that environment.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1235 on: November 08, 2019, 12:32:11 »

I'm sure I'll be merging this topic later on with previous "Crossrail delay" threads ... but noting that I'm the first to post here ... perhaps a delay is not news any more.  A major project on time WOULD be.

The opening of London's Crossrail project will be delayed until 2021 as Europe's biggest infrastructure scheme is set to go another £650m over budget.

The route, to be known as the Elizabeth Line, was originally due to open in December 2018.

Crossrail Ltd chief executive Mark Wild said services would be delayed to allow time for more testing.

Wonder if they will make 2021  Shocked  Undecided  Embarrassed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50345344
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 14:00:11 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 08, 2019, 12:38:24 »

Latest delay now announced, not opening until 2021, and another £650 million cost overrun.
I have no faith in it fully opening by that date, and expect further cost overruns.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 08, 2019, 15:08:09 »

Not good news for GWR (Great Western Railway) at Paddington as platform capacity will be stretched from December with the extra trains and the longer Crossrail Class 345s are clogging up the station the more potential impact on performance there will be to GWR.

The only interim measure that can be taken, reducing the HEx service to a one platform operation, will make a bit of a difference, but that in itself introduces a performance risk to HEx which will potentially affect GWR too.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 08, 2019, 15:53:14 »

What isn't clear from this, and the press release on the Crossrail website is whether there is any possibility of running trains westwards from Paddington Crossrail station at some earlier date as the focus is on the central section. 2020 is down to initially test running up to 24 trains per hour through, later running with test passengers, so maybe this can't be done.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1239 on: November 08, 2019, 16:39:14 »

What isn't clear from this, and the press release on the Crossrail website is whether there is any possibility of running trains westwards from Paddington Crossrail station at some earlier date as the focus is on the central section. 2020 is down to initially test running up to 24 trains per hour through, later running with test passengers, so maybe this can't be done.

I suspected when I read that ... that central section testing will involve possession of the platforms at Paddington (Crossrail) station and so they won't be available for trains coming in from the west to reverse.   A Google search brought me to something that looked a wee bit familiar!

As usual this drawing should be taken with a Health Warning as it may not be up to date  (e.g. I am aware that an additional crossover is going in at Paddington to allow the Royal Oak sidings to be accessed from Platform Nos.2 to 5).  If anybody would like a higher resolution copy then please send me a PM with an email address.

I would make an educated guess that central section testing will involve trains arriving into the westbound platform at Paddington from Whitechapel (or wherever they come from), using the reversing siding to the west and then heading out again back toward Whitechapel from the eastbound platform.    And if that's the case the answer to the original question is "no - Paddington Crossrail will be tied up with the testing and not available to Thames Valley services".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 08, 2019, 16:53:59 »

My cynical mind naturally assumes that no Crossrail trains will run Westwards from Paddington until 2021 or later.
Apart from the points already made re needing the Crossrail platforms for test running, it seems a reasonable assumption that if running west of Paddington WAS planned, that this would have been announced with much fanfare.

"Despite this slight delay to operation through the central core, we are very pleased to announce that our new state of the art trains WILL be operating a very frequent service between Paddington and Reading from xx-yy"

The absence of any such announcement means it (almost certainly) wont happen.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 08, 2019, 17:51:44 »

I'm sure I'll be merging this topic later on with previous "Crossrail delay" threads ... but noting that I'm the first to post here ... perhaps a delay is not news any more.  A major project on time WOULD be.

The opening of London's Crossrail project will be delayed until 2021 as Europe's biggest infrastructure scheme is set to go another £650m over budget.

The route, to be known as the Elizabeth Line, was originally due to open in December 2018.

Crossrail Ltd chief executive Mark Wild said services would be delayed to allow time for more testing.

Wonder if they will make 2021  Shocked  Undecided  Embarrassed

Pennies compared to HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), but hey it's a rail scheme so we have come to expect massive delays and overspends.
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 08, 2019, 20:28:29 »

I'm somebody who doesn't know the intricate workings of the railway, or track layouts in detail, but I've always had my doubts on how on earth this metro to mainline arrangement would work, and from the beginning there has never been any explanation. I thought that any delayed from trains west of Heathrow will finish in the mainline terminus at London Paddington and now it looks like all from furthest west will just finish there anyhow and they hope nobody will notice. If that does happen, it is outrageous that tfl will collect 50% of the fares on the relief lines from Reading. From the beginning all that has been required is an increase in capacity for the relief line stations between Reading and London, which GWR (Great Western Railway) could have achieved alone. The fare arrangement is something else that seems vague and without explanation.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 09, 2019, 07:30:28 »

My cynical mind naturally assumes that no Crossrail trains will run Westwards from Paddington until 2021 or later.
Apart from the points already made re needing the Crossrail platforms for test running, it seems a reasonable assumption that if running west of Paddington WAS planned, that this would have been announced with much fanfare.

"Despite this slight delay to operation through the central core, we are very pleased to announce that our new state of the art trains WILL be operating a very frequent service between Paddington and Reading from xx-yy"

The absence of any such announcement means it (almost certainly) wont happen.

But it is happening from this December, albeit from the mainline platforms at Paddington.

And there has been a lot of fanfare in this area within the local tabloids recently

(http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/tfl-rail-to-operate-services-to-reading-from-15-december)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 09, 2019, 08:16:55 »

Those with a technical mind might find this 'signalling' update interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qi046Xn6lA
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: