Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:13:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 587006 times)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: February 12, 2020, 22:07:54 »

The London Assembly has been told that construction work at Hayes & Southall stations may not be finished until next year.

From Building
Construction work is being carried out at six stations between Acton Main Line and West Drayton and is due to be finished by the end of this year.

Hochtief won a £40m contract to upgrade Hayes & Harlington, West Drayton and Southall stations last January, while Graham was handed a £47m for similar work at Acton, West Ealing and Ealing Broadway stations.

But a letter from Network Rail chief executive Andrew Haines to London Assembly transport committee chair Navin Shah admitted work at two of Hochtief’s stations is in danger of falling behind.

Haines said: "There is a risk that the works at Hayes & Harlington and Southall stations will not be complete until the first quarter of 2021 but we are working with our contractors to minimise any potential delay."
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 15, 2020, 12:45:21 »

Seems to be some through train testing today (Sunday 15/03/2020) between Acton Main Line and Paddington Crossrail platforms.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 15, 2020, 13:17:46 »

Seems to be some through train testing today (Sunday 15/03/2020) between Acton Main Line and Paddington Crossrail platforms.

Indeed, the TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail service has been amended as a result - I saw a poster a couple of weeks ago about it, so planned well in advance:

TfL Rail: Sunday 15 March, no trains between Paddington and Ealing Broadway. There will be a reduced service between Ealing Broadway and Hayes & Harlington with trains running every 15 minutes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 20, 2020, 12:27:13 »

So much has changed since then!

'Inevitable' impact on Crossrail project from coronavirus, say London mayor

How many of the infrastructure projects announced in the Budget will go ahead - and how will they be funded?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1354 on: March 24, 2020, 15:19:01 »

So much has changed since then!

'Inevitable' impact on Crossrail project from coronavirus, say London mayor

How many of the infrastructure projects announced in the Budget will go ahead - and how will they be funded?

and further ... from myLondon

The construction of Crossrail has been temporarily suspended in response to the government announcing a lockdown.

The project, which began in 2009, is a 73-mile new railway line stretching from Shenfield in Essex to Reading, Berkshire.

The decision to suspend the building of the line is due to the risk workers face catching and/or passing on the deadly illness, Covid-19.

On Monday evening (March 23), Prime Minister Boris Johnson made the announcement that citizens' movements will be severely restricted over the next three weeks due to the rapid spread of coronavirus.

Despite Johnson not specifically mentioning construction workers, a debate has been raging since the lockdown announcement on whether construction workers should be staying at home.

Sadiq Khan, the London Mayor has prioritised making the London Underground available for key workers at hospitals and in social services.

Mike Brown, London's Transport Commissioner, said: "The Government and the Mayor have given clear instructions to stay safe and to stop travelling in all cases other than critical workers making absolutely essential journeys.

"In line with this, TfL» (Transport for London - about) and Crossrail will be bringing all project sites to a temporary Safe Stop unless they need to continue for operational safety reasons.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 07, 2020, 09:29:45 »

ETCS (European Train Control System) Testing successfully completed.  From Railway Gazette:  https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/etcs-tested-successfully-on-heathrow-express-class-387s/56178.article

However, there are apparently still some issues to resolve with the TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) Interface......

ETCS tested successfully on Heathrow Express Class 387s

An initial series of test runs using Class 387 EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) equipped with ETCS on the Great Western Main Line has been completed, leasing company Porterbrook announced on April 3.

Using sections of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) east of Reading and the branch from Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow Airport, the tests were undertaken by Porterbrook and partners Bombardier, the Department for Transport, DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) Cargo UK (United Kingdom) and Heathrow Airport Ltd. More than 10 test runs over the weekend of March 21-22 were undertaken to prove the functionality of the onboard hardware and software as well as related infrastructure assets.

A dedicated fleet of 12 four-car Class 387 EMUs is to be redeployed by operator Great Western Railway from Thames Valley commuter services to the airport shuttle. The trains are currently being refurbished by manufacturer Bombardier at its Ilford depot, where they are receiving bespoke interiors tailored to the needs of airport passengers.

Once ETCS Level 2 has been commissioned on the branch between Hayes & Harlington and the airport, expected later this year, the Class 387s will replace the Class 332 trainsets which have been used since the inception of Heathrow Express in 1998.

The Heathrow Express service is owned and managed by Heathrow Airport Ltd and is not part of the national franchising system. However, the airport company has outsourced train operations to GWR (Great Western Railway) under a management contract running from 2018 to 2028. The Class 387 fleet will be maintained by GWR at its Reading depot.

‘Notwithstanding these challenging times, we need to continue focusing on delivering key projects so that the railway is ready to support UK plc when the current situation stabilises’, said Mary Grant, Chief Executive of Porterbrook. ‘Introduction of an ETCS-fitted fleet on services to Heathrow is just such a project and will enable a service uplift to meet expected passenger numbers when the airport returns to its role as a key European aviation hub.’
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 12, 2020, 08:04:47 »

ETCS (European Train Control System) Levels 0, 1 and 2 for use by Class 345 trains now approved by ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about): https://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/42879/interoperability-authorisation-class-345-ccs-tsi-2020-05-06.pdf

Health Warning: Even as an S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) Engineer I have struggled to understand some of it  Roll Eyes

Edited to amend to ETCS Levels 0, 1 and 2
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:40:17 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 12, 2020, 08:18:35 »

ETCS (European Train Control System) Levels 1, 2 and 3 for use by Class 345 trains now approved by ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about): https://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/42879/interoperability-authorisation-class-345-ccs-tsi-2020-05-06.pdf

Health Warning: Even as an S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) Engineer I have struggled to understand some of it  Roll Eyes

I assume, dangerously for an E&P Engineer  Grin Level 3 is initially for the Crossrail tunnel sections?

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1358 on: May 12, 2020, 08:38:35 »

ETCS (European Train Control System) Levels 1, 2 and 3 for use by Class 345 trains now approved by ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about): https://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/42879/interoperability-authorisation-class-345-ccs-tsi-2020-05-06.pdf

Thank you.  As a retired hotelier and computer programmer, I struggle to understand any of it.   However, I note odd gems in an ore of incomprehensibility.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 12, 2020, 10:52:33 »

I assume, dangerously for an E&P Engineer  Grin Level 3 is initially for the Crossrail tunnel sections?

AIUI (as I understand it) the TfL» (Transport for London - about) core infrastructure actually uses a different Communications-based train control (CBTC (Communications-based train control)) system, either because they didn’t expect ETCS to have reached the necessary functionality before Crossrail commissioning started, or IMHO (in my humble opinion) they decided to have a permanent obstacle to attempts to run other trains through the tunnels. 

I believe they had to jump through quite a few hoops to avoid ETCS in their core section, being a new railway and in scope of The Technical Specifications for Interoperability (TSIs).

Paul

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 13:55:14 by VickiS » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 12, 2020, 11:12:27 »

I see it actually refers to ETCS Levels 0,1 and 2 though?  Somewhere in the depths of the document it says Level 3 is not included.  (Is that full physical removal of lineside train detection and signals?)

Paul
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:29:43 by paul7755 » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 12, 2020, 12:18:55 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the TfL» (Transport for London - about) core infrastructure actually uses a different CBTC (Communications-based train control) system, either because they didn’t expect ETCS to have reached the necessary functionality before Crossrail commissioning started, or IMHO (in my humble opinion) they decided to have a permanent obstacle to attempts to run other trains through the tunnels. 

I believe they had to jump through quite a few hoops to avoid ETCS in their core section, being a new railway and in scope of TSIs.

Paul

Yes, my schoolboy error.  I should have said Levels 0, 1 and 2 which will be utilised on the shared railway sections.  As I understand it either Level 2 or 3 will be used on the Core Section not used by other trains (well, not for a very long time at least).  The different Levels are explained here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Train_Control_System

Appologies for that error, but my excuse is that when I posted the update I was sitting at my desk at home trying to work out some changes to the mechanical interlocking on an hi-tech GWR (Great Western Railway) 1908 pattern lever frame..... Roll Eyes Tongue
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:42:03 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 12, 2020, 14:35:32 »

Appologies for that error, but my excuse is that when I posted the update I was sitting at my desk at home trying to work out some changes to the mechanical interlocking on an hi-tech GWR (Great Western Railway) 1908 pattern lever frame..... Roll Eyes Tongue

ETCS (European Train Control System) Level 0 Huh    If you added ATC (Automatic Train Control) would that make it level 1?

I ask as a baffled E&P Engineer

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 12, 2020, 21:23:21 »

ETCS (European Train Control System) Level 0 Huh    If you added Automatic Train Control (ATC (Automatic Train Control)) would that make it level 1?

Yes it would, but it would need to be the Great Western Railway (GWR) version of Automatic Train Control (ATC) Grin

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 13:59:53 by VickiS » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 13, 2020, 07:08:34 »

ETCS (European Train Control System) Level 0 Huh    If you added ATC (Automatic Train Control) would that make it level 1?

Yes it would, but it would need to be the GWR version of ATC Grin

Is there any other,  can just see a 44' 3" ramp would work at 125 mph

Interesting document on the GWR ATC here https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=19&ved=2ahUKEwjV6_iAlbDpAhWbVBUIHcGIACIQFjASegQIBBAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmweb.co.uk%2Fcommunity%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dattach%26section%3Dattach%26attach_id%3D953953&usg=AOvVaw1NVyPmiY3fex5c6T9LydM8&cshid=1589349951811925

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: