18th Apr (1966)
Melksham Station closed (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 01:54:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 590931 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2011, 16:18:31 »

Network Rail have announced that Aecom have landed the contract to modify the stations west of Paddington on the GWML (Great Western Main Line).  Work to start late next year.  The link below gives a summary of the works required at each station, which vary from hardly anything at Hanwell (due to it's protected status?), to quite major works at places like Hayes & Harlington including a new bay platform, all other platforms extended, the island platform widened, lifts, canopies and a new station building.  At Slough the west end bay platform for the Slough to Reading shuttle service is mentioned, which, along with alterations at Maidenhead, will hopefully be altered when (I say when because if they don't, then it's one of the most ridiculous decisions ever!) extention of Crossrail to Reading is announced.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2011/05/17/aecom-lands-design-job-for-13-crossrail-stations/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 18:05:26 »

At Slough the west end bay platform for the Slough to Reading shuttle service is mentioned, which, along with alterations at Maidenhead, will hopefully be altered when (I say when because if they don't, then it's one of the most ridiculous decisions ever!) extention of Crossrail to Reading is announced.

I agree with you 100% it would be a criminal waste of money to build the bay platform at Slough and the turnback sidings at Maidenhead.

Hopefully GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification will just tie into Crossrail's contribution from Hayes to Maidenhead and the wires will be available to Reading before Crossrail tunnelling is finished.

As far as Taplow is concerned it's not Crossrail we want, but the wires. However it is very hard to convince people that you don't need Crosssrail but the wores as far West as possible.

So why not a Bristol to Norwich IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), or is that too radical!

We are having an enviromental study by Crossrail of rare plants and animals around the Manor at Slough. Are rats a protected species?   
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2011, 18:21:45 »

So why not a Bristol to Norwich IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.), or is that too radical

I remember when Anglia ran their Crossrail service from Basingstoke to Norwich. Very few wanted to travel end to end and the inevitable delays as it went via Stratford made it unattractive for short journeys. It's a sad fact that while through services can be attractive they are at the mercy of potential bigger delays. If there's a large market for end to end or nearly end to end journeys this can redress the balance but if not splitting the service into shorter sections can be more beneficial.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 18:34:18 »

I agree the Norwich Basingstoke service was a flop with delays on the North London lines and having to use 170's because less than a mile of the route was not electrified.

But that's the beauty of Crossrail it's a through tunnel. Any train can pop into the tunnel (OK given compatible signalling which may be tricky and very expensive) at Padd stop all stations and pop out near Stratford and run onto the GE.

It gives some interesting shorter through journey possibilities Swindon to Chelmsford, Reading to Colchester etc. I am sure they would be atrractive to some people.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2011, 18:42:46 »

It's an interesting discussion point, because AIUI (as I understand it) the 24 tph Crossrail won't necessarily run all day, just like Thameslink, and will reduce frequency slightly in the offpeak.  As long as such a service could keep up with Crossrail spec acceleration and station dwell times, then a couple per hour off peak would surely be feasible? 

Although on second thoughts with Crossrail having platform edge doors perhaps that should be identical stock or maybe the solution is to dedicate the service to long distance and be non - stop between say Stratford and Ealing Broadway.  Undecided

Paul

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 18:55:51 »

Weekends, when there's a lot less emphasis on people getting to and from 'the City', could also possibly open up some paths to some more radical thinking with longer distance trains.  I suspect though, initially at least, it'll be a standard clock-face timetable most of the day, a few extra trains in the peak, journey times from the extremities quite slow (but at least direct), with the major benefit being the massive, and badly needed, increase in capacity.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 21:19:29 »

I like the pipe dreaming on this site  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 22:37:39 »

I like the pipe dreaming on this site  Grin

Tunnel dreaming surely?   Grin

Paul
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2011, 07:18:43 »

Pardon my ignorance - at Paddington, where are the taxis going to be moved to?
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:42 »

somewhere over by span 4

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:49 »

On the taxi deck, the old Parcels deck. Sometime fairly soon too, I hear.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:35 »

It's an interesting discussion point, because AIUI (as I understand it) the 24 tph Crossrail won't necessarily run all day, just like Thameslink, and will reduce frequency slightly in the offpeak

18 / hour off-peak, isn't it?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2011, 12:35:28 »

I enjoy these pipe dreams too, but isn't one of the problems that crossrail will be within TfL» (Transport for London - about) (Boris) control.  Will TFL (Transport for London) really be interested in running intercity trains?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2011, 12:55:07 »

Livingstone might be....
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2011, 08:17:59 »

18 / hour off-peak, isn't it?
Was 14 tph off peak last time I looked.  6 tph Shenfield to Paddington of which 2 tph continue to Maidenhead.  8 tph Abbey Wood to Paddington of which 4 tph continue to Heathrow.  The ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) refused the additional off peak paths requested.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: