08:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 10:12:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[52] IETs at Melksham
[47] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[43] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[41] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[30] Signage - not making it easy ...
[17] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 590964 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2011, 11:25:00 »

Here's the link to the London & South East RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) that Paul mentioned on the previous page of this thread:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?dir=\RUS%20Documents\Route%20Utilisation%20Strategies\RUS%20Generation%202\London%20and%20South%20East&pageid=0&root=

It's a weighty document, but pages 104-111 detail the various options with regard to Paddington to Reading on the GWML (Great Western Main Line).  One thing is clear though, Network Rail want Crossrail to go to Reading and for an announcement to be made soon!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2011, 15:05:08 »

let's resurrect Airtrack

Or maybe not Smiley Unless you can come up with a practical solution with the various level crossings on the line.

I think an alternative has been suggested which would join the two windsor stations and replace them with a new single station.  Then run take the heathrow trains on a short bit of new track to join the exisiting line from Windsor to Slough for connections to cross-rail
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2011, 16:38:28 »

I think an alternative has been suggested which would join the two windsor stations and replace them with a new single station.  Then run take the heathrow trains on a short bit of new track to join the exisiting line from Windsor to Slough for connections to cross-rail

Well it has definitely been suggested:  http://windsorlink.net/

...and I think it's been around for a couple of years, but I reckon that DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and Network Rail will have completely ignored it because it doesn't provide what passengers actually want at an affordable cost.  It doesn't even rate a negative comment in the latest RUSs (Route Utilisation Strategy), ie GWML (Great Western Main Line) and London and SE.

Paul
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2011, 18:00:26 »

I would suspect the vast majority of the money spent on Crossrail is on the tunnelling (or perhaps just Canary Wharf station Tongue ), so I would imagine sending services to the WCML (West Coast Main Line) slows would be relatively cheap. Just like extensions to Dartford (or preferably Ebbesfleet) and Reading.

Airtrack - I know there are the level crossings, but I'm not convinced enough time has been spent looking at it. Staines would be a good start. But a local service from Waterloo to Heathrow would take plenty of cars off the road.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2011, 18:09:02 »

I would suspect the vast majority of the money spent on Crossrail is on the tunnelling (or perhaps just Canary Wharf station Tongue ), so I would imagine sending services to the WCML (West Coast Main Line) slows would be relatively cheap. Just like extensions to Dartford (or preferably Ebbesfleet) and Reading.

Airtrack - I know there are the level crossings, but I'm not convinced enough time has been spent looking at it. Staines would be a good start. But a local service from Waterloo to Heathrow would take plenty of cars off the road.

One  problem with Airtrack, is that it is a very good idea but funding was  a issue and hopefully perhaps it could be found to  bring back the scheme in a few years.

The main problem is in Richmond with the stupid council & Nimby's complaining about the level crossing's

Shame really as i would have liked to see Airtrack, I wonder if they would go ahead and build a western link into Heathrow Airport, perhaps a hourly Oxford - Reading - Heathrow Airport service? it would be a good use for those class 360's which are owned by BAA if they do get replaced by the crossrail service.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2011, 19:00:28 »

The main problem is in Richmond with the stupid council & Nimby's complaining about the level crossing's

Sorry, but that's grossly unfair. Traffic congestion around level crossings on the proposed Airtrack route is already very bad. Airtrack would've made that much worse, particularly in Egham where it was predicted that on two of the town's level crossings the barriers would be down for 34 minutes in each hour.

There are already numerous public transport options for getting to Heathrow with CrossRail to come. Airtrack appeared to be a sop to affluent residents living south-west of London whose public transport options to Heathrow are the coaches from Reading or Woking or travelling via London. I don't have much sympathy for them. They already have an extensive commuter network to give them access to the existing Heathrow links. 

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2011, 19:01:52 »

Ok perhaps i am being a bit unfair, and yes i do have some agreement with you consiering how good a public transport system they have around that area already.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2011, 03:35:30 »

particularly in Egham where it was predicted that on two of the town's level crossings the barriers would be down for 34 minutes in each hour.

Similar figure was mentioned for the main level crossing in Wokingham (by the station)

The other 2 in  Wokingham wouldn't be down as often, but still a fair bit. Certainly not practical in the current state of the crossings. Which is why I mentioned if a solution was found it would be a good idea.

So I wouldn't say it's being Nimby's at all Smiley
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2011, 22:37:20 »

Jst read part of the RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) which says that Network Rail want to run 10 crossrail trains per hour to Heathrow and 6 to Reading thus eliminating the need for some  or most of them to terminate at Paddington and to provide 4 extra fast trains between Paddington & Reading using the current Heathrow express paths.

A western link into Heathrow airport is also suggested (Perhaps if such a link is built and the heathrow express services are withdrawn after crossrail comes into affect perhaps it could make use of the class 332's)

Also a proposal to run 12 carriage trains to Newbury & Oxford.

I havent read the full  RUS yet but will be having a further browse through it tonight & tommorow. Makes for a interesting read.
standclearplease

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2011, 10:31:23 »

A direct rail service between Reading and Heathrow would be very welcome indeed.

anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2011, 11:45:36 »

And i think a lot of people would use it. as for the question if there would be any paths for it.

I know that they propose running 6TPH between Paddington & Maidenhead/reading on the relief lines in addition to 10TPH to Heathrow Airport, so i suppose if the great western mainline i re-signalled then you could just about run a service although probably on a service every 30 minutes  or so on the  relief lines in between the crossrail services

Maybe by extending some of the local  stopping services from Oxford which maybe 1 day might be extended to Milton Keynes etc.

I do agree with the idea of scrapping the Heathrow express services and using the paths to provide additional fast services between London Paddington & Reading.

I know there maybe a few people who would not be happy about the loss of heathrow express but wouldnt it be better to have very frequent services which run direct to central london & the city?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 14:33:13 »

After crossrail, the hex is redundant. However they'll want to keep it as it would still make money as people will fall for the con. I hope they see sense and axe it during the peaks... You could then run 4 IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) per hour just from discot and reading. Then axe most didcot and reading stops on other trains!

Just like gatwick. Thameslink is quicker anyway now, and serves more of the city. But tourists and businessmen see the signs and get the credit card out. Often then to get the tube to kings cross or monument!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2011, 20:13:21 »

If T5 ever became a through station it seems to me a possibility would be run a Alternate Abbey Wood. Shenfield all stations to Padd Ealing Broadway Hayes, T5 Slough Maidenhead Twyford Reading service 4 an hour or do do 2 on the ML lines Reading T5 Padd terminate.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2011, 22:24:10 »

This has just been posted on UK (United Kingdom) railforums and i cant find  it here so i have posted a link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/29/crossrail-train-manufacturing-contract

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:59 »

Thanks for the link, Anthony215.

Why is it that artists impressions of new stations - shown to illustrate this article - show just a handful of people which if it were to be the typical scene would make the whole thing a white elephant?   (If people answer me on this, I may split it into a separate thread). Compare and contrast to the current number of passengers around - http://www.wellho.net/pix/bhhomea.jpg and http://www.wellho.net/pix/bhhome0.jpg

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: