Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:05:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Club 55  (Read 61418 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 04, 2011, 17:21:57 »

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club55

Scotrail are re-opening Club 55 from 17th January to 31st March 2011.   Are there any plans / dates for Great Western to do so?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 21:22:31 »

I flippin hope not! was a disaster, trains full and standing with blue rinse in first class while people holding ^300 first class open tickets had to stand!
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 21:51:57 »

saga louts abusing it.
Need to make better restrictions and also make it quota controlled.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
jester

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 22:06:04 »

Hear hear!! And what numpty let it go on for so long, still people travelling on it over xmas! Never really thought that one through eh?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 22:18:23 »

Hmm.  Do I detect just a suggestion that some staff were not very impressed with the results of the most recent offer, then?   Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 23:12:47 »

Good promotion - badly done - should have had more restrictions.

Particularly morning restrictions.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 23:49:43 »

Wasn't the promotion on Off-Peak tickets only, anyway?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 00:16:23 »

I reckon that the other First TOCs (Train Operating Company) were forced to accept the offer from Group HQ (Headquarters) at Aberdeen.

There was allegedly restrictions on morning tickets, but as it was not briefed to most staff the saga louts (who are not all as innocent as they seem) got away with it.

Needs to be a maximum number allowed on each fully off peak train.
Needs to be barred before 10am AT ANY STATION (like the Network Card).
Needs to be barred on ANY train which has departed from London Terminals between 16:00 and 20:00.
No further discounts allowed. Sorry you want more discount with you senior railcard? Bloody hell you've already got first class for next to nothing.
No break of journey allowed, no split tickets, no loopholes, etc etc.
Break the rules and we'll sting you for full SOS/FOS.

Oh and yes, most staff not impressed with recent offer.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 00:25:26 »

Then I hope the 'most staff' who were not impressed with the offer direct their complaints to management, rather than direct their ire at those who took advantage of the offer. As for specific rules being 'loopholed' then, again the fault lies with the industry, not the passenger.

Comments such as 'saga louts' and 'blue rinse' don't really endear me to the staff point of view on this one, I'm afraid.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 00:32:54 »

Oh don't worry I have already sent my 'comments' to Revenue Development people within FGW (First Great Western), but I suspect FGW has no say in this offer, considering it more than likely comes from Group HQ (Headquarters).

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 00:41:52 »

My understanding is TPE (Trans Pennine Express) led the promotion this time round. The only morning restriction on FGW (First Great Western) was for arriving into London.

Needs to be a blanket restriction in morning on it.

Last time was better as restrictions were same as the SVR

If they do it again - I think it should be restricted similar to a SSR
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 18:39:06 »

I think if they bring it in again like the last time then lots of staff will probably walk out! The "customers" who took advantage of it last time certainly TOOK advantage! just because they're old it doesn't mean they don't take the p**s!

I believe a HUGE amount of complaints from staff were forwarded to Mr Hopwood!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 23:00:13 »

Nobody was taking the p**s what was happening was a demonstartion of just how many passengers the railway can attract if the fares are right.

The fact that the railways can't cope with that level of travel is down to stupid government policies in particular underinvestment in rolling stock.

As an ex railwayman I know passengers are a bl*** nuisance but just think of how much extra money poured into the coffers.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:26 »

OK who has the greatest 'right' to a seat?
(And before you say, I know no one has a guaranteed seat in accordance with NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage), unless reserved.)

A weekly first class season ticket holder who's paid a few hundred quid, (and more than likely even more.)
or a Club 55 first ticket at ^35?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 06:33:49 »

I opened this thread asking whether "Club 55" will be running again this winter - and I'm surprised at how negative the staff reaction is.

It seems a very good way to get more people onto trains who might otherwise have driven by car or have not travelled at all - a step towards a return of "the age of the train".  And it appears to have worked - it brought in more customers; personally, I'm now 'fortunate' enough to be able to use it, for example.  It showed me new routes, it had me on the train where otherwise I would have been driving, and it's convinced me to make a higher proportion of my journeys by rail in the future.

Let's look at the implicit suggestion of it being "bargain basement" travel.  I recall a recent (Mark Hopwood?) interview where he quoted that the average passenger pays 19p per mile to travel on FGW (First Great Western).  Now take a 35 pound "Club 55" ticket for a journey of 100 miles ... and you're looking at 17.5p per mile.  That doesn't strike me as the lowest of the low fares.

I'm seeing suggestions of rafts of extra restrictions, quotas, etc ... ouch.   That strikes me as taking a rail fare system that's already overcomplex and adding a further series of complexities to it.  One of the great thinks I think you need in anything you're selling is to have it understandable to the people to whom you're selling it.  And if you fail to do that, or if you have smallprint which catches people out later ("Sorry - there's a full quota of Club55s already on board this 13:29 train to Brighton.  Try again tomorrow" [trying to use Club 55 Dilton Marsh to Brighton])  you're likely to do more harm than good.

We should celebrate the success that the extra traffic really is; there may be a case for reserving a 1st compartment or two for "full fare only".  And if something could be done to have the trains routinely very busy and not just during the promotion, what a wonderful step for the rail industry as a whole - helping to secure its future by use, and its revenue stream by income it would not otherwise have received.  A forward looking industry should revel in an increase in business and take steps to make the new customers loyal and repeating (and perhaps generating more income per journey away from the quieter winter), and not grumble at the extra work they bring for the staff, who may feel that their jobs would be much easier if there weren't customers around at all.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: