Train RunningCancelled
15:17 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 16:05:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Club 55  (Read 61967 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2011, 19:50:28 »

Many thanks for that follow-up, BNM ... I had a note down to follow up in a similar vein this evening.

Unless there has been a regime change in the last 18 months, you would NOT have got a refund of the 59 pounds at Paddington.   I note you were told to "seek" a refund there.   I've been similarly told to seek such a refund in a somewhat similar circumstance and when I did the seeking I was told it wasn't possible that late in the game because I'd already travelled on the ticket.  Perhaps we had the same Train Manager!

With so many people avoiding payment or seeking to avoid payment, and with a fare system which is (I feel) overcomplex, it's all too easy for the people who are just trying to do the right thing to get inconvenienced, delayed  and even threatened when that simply should not happen.  Personally, I blame the system's flaws rather than the staff who with rare exceptions are doing their very best and outside the times when they're overworked and overcomplicated do a fantastic job in some difficult circumstances sometimes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
noddingdonkey

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2011, 23:48:43 »

You're right. The ticket office can process a refund request but it wouldn't be an instant refund. You're also right that club 55 tickets are in the Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machine. The operator needs to press the 'all' button to display secondary fares. Club 55 are listed as 55S and 55F for standard and first class respectively.
Worle Wonder

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2011, 21:25:09 »

Thanks to all for the advice.

Indeed I will follow-up with FGW (First Great Western).....

I might just need to do the jouney again this Saturday, if I dont get my tickets before I travel what is the 'sequence' that the conductor/train Manager needs to follow on his machine to to find the fare please?
noddingdonkey

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2011, 21:37:41 »

He just goes into 'fares' selects the journey and there's a button on the bottom of the screen that says 'all' which brings up all the fares, not just the primary ones. It's 55f and 55s for the club 55 tickets. Bob's your uncle etc.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2011, 19:06:24 »

Next is the behaviour of the TM(resolve) on the service to Paddington. If what you say is an accurate account then you should not have been required to alight at Swindon and delay your journey. Club 55 fares are in Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machines and it is not your fault if a staff member cannot find the legitimate fare you require. I'm also not sure You would have got an immediate refund of the ^59 fare on arrival at Paddington. That would have to be dealt with by filling out a refund form. A ticket office cannot, I believe, refund a ticket it hasn't sold. (paging Ollie!)

Regret late replying due to being away - but that is right, ticket office can take the refund in, but with on train issues it is unlikely they will be the ones to pay it out straight away.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2011, 22:29:14 »

Thanks, Ollie!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2012, 13:52:59 »

For this winter, it looks like Club 55 is only available in certain countries of the United Kingdom:

Scotland, 16 Jan to 31 March
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club55

Wales, 8th March to 28th March
http://arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Club55/

England - NOT AVAILBLE?

Doesn't make it look quite so united ...and a bit of a "postcode lottery".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
iant

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2012, 22:08:56 »

Does anyone have any inside info on the future of Club 55. I see it is running in Scotland again, and I got surveyed last week by FGW (First Great Western) as a past CLub 55 user - but no sign of a new Club 55 for FGW as yet. Any news?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2012, 22:19:20 »

First off, welcome to the Coffee Shop, iant.  Cheesy

In the past couple of years First Great Western have only run a Club 55 promotion once a year from September to November. This has been in conjunction with other First Group TOCs (Train Operating Company) (First TransPennine Express, First Hull Trains, First Capital Connect and First ScotRail). Arriva Trains Wales also run Club 55 at the same time.

Additionally, First ScotRail (alone of the First Group TOCs) and Arriva Trains Wales, run Club 55 promotions in the Jan-March period.

Based on recent history the next First Great Western Club 55 is likely to be from September 2012.

The current Arriva Trains Wales Club 55 (see http://arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Club55/) promotion does offer some good journey opportunites to destinations outside of their area, thanks to add on fares for use with adjoining TOCs. Sadly though, there no add-ons into FGW (First Great Western) land, which used to be the case in previous years.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 22:30:46 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 19:37:59 »

Does anyone have any inside info on the future of Club 55. I see it is running in Scotland again, and I got surveyed last week by FGW (First Great Western) as a past CLub 55 user - but no sign of a new Club 55 for FGW as yet. Any news?

In the past couple of years First Great Western have only run a Club 55 promotion once a year from September to November. This has been in conjunction with other First Group TOCs (Train Operating Company) (First TransPennine Express, First Hull Trains, First Capital Connect and First ScotRail). Arriva Trains Wales also run Club 55 at the same time.

Additionally, First ScotRail (alone of the First Group TOCs) and Arriva Trains Wales, run Club 55 promotions in the Jan-March period.

Based on recent history the next First Great Western Club 55 is likely to be from September 2012.

Here's the first news from Scotland ... anything for FGW yet?

http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2012/08/17/scotrail-set-introduce-first-tv-ad-club-55-tickets?

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2012, 20:04:58 »

Nothing advised about in FGW (First Great Western) land..
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2012, 20:13:06 »

Fingers crossed it stays that way!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2012, 08:29:33 »

Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Why don't you want to encourage rail travel in the quite months?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2012, 10:43:06 »

Any sign of Club 55 this Autumn in FGW (First Great Western) land?
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2012, 11:49:56 »

No. We will not be doing Club 55 this year. But it will be reviewed for next year.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: