17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
10:45 Falmouth Docks to Truro
Short Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
08:50 Penzance to Plymouth
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 11:11:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Club 55  (Read 61986 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2012, 17:36:25 »

Thanks very much for that confirmation, Ollie - but any chance of us knowing the official reasoning behind that decision?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2012, 01:03:03 »

I don't have full details Chris sorry. AFAIK (as far as I know) the only First Group TOC (Train Operating Company) that has done Club 55 this time round is ScotRail? As each First Group franchise serves different markets the promotions that suit will vary. Despite Club 55 not running it is still possible to get good value fares. e.g ^15 Paddington to Penzance Advance single. (1/3 off with railcard).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2012, 08:47:09 »

Arriva Trains (Wales) Club 55 is available at present - until 9th December and then from 6th January to 29th March 2013 - see http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Club55/FAQs/ .

If Club 55 is regarded as being a marketing promotion (tempting customers to try at a cheap price, and then buy again in the future), then it could be a sound financial decison of FGW (First Great Western) not to run it for the final (?) year of the franchise (speculation). Scotrail runs a further 15 months - to November 2014.  Not sure about TransPennine - Spring 2014? Arriva's Wales franchise runs to 2018, with plenty of time to see returning year-round travel from the (currenly) 55 to 59 agegroup.  And of course the balance / metrics could differ in the spring, and could differ again if there are extensions to the franchise because of the current pause.

Even from FGW land, those of us who are disqualified from any of the railcard products, but are over 55, can take advantage of the Arriva trains offering in certain circumstances.  I'm planning a midweek break on the Welsh coast in March - to drive, or to train?  At current prices, it's going to cost me:
EITHER 19 pounds return, Melksham to Newport + 17 pounds return, Newport to Penhelig, Club 55 = 36 pounds
OR ... 149 pounds return, Melksham to Penhelig
And, yes, there's an abundance of other special products too as Ollie reminds us - almost overwhelming at times!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2012, 14:40:33 »

No Club Coffin Dodger this year, (and before anyone starts griping at that I am 60 myself).  Far less outlay on First Class complimentary snacks, far fewer confused passengers lumbering around with bags they can't carry and far fewer passengers asking if the train stops at Penzance.  Heaven!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2012, 15:57:54 »

From GetReading.

The unfortunate choice of advert which was served up with this story....

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2012, 17:58:07 »

Far less outlay on First Class complimentary snacks

Far less income from people who would not otherwise have travelled.

Far fewer confused passengers lumbering around with bags they can't carry

Far more people (like your mum and dad perhaps) stuck bored in their homes rather then enjoying a few days away

Far fewer passengers asking if the train stops at Penzance.

Err .. perhaps not a bad question. I can't recall the last time a train called at my local station that also stopped at Penzance!  Cheesy

Heaven!

Depends how you look at it ... I find it really fabulous introducing rail travel to people who've never used the train before, or haven't done so for many years.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2013, 14:36:50 »

Back for First in Scotland later this week.  Will it be back for First in the West of England too?

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club55-insight-may

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 09:17:59 »

Nothing advised about in FGW (First Great Western) land..
Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Why don't you want to encourage rail travel in the quite months?

Well I was not so keen on paying the full first class fare and then being expected to stand by those only a few years older than me who had paid very much less.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2013, 10:17:29 »

Having just turned 55 a few weeks ago, I'm quite keen to see it reinstated and enjoy what is, as far as I'm aware, the first and only "privilege" an employed white able-bodied middle-class male is eligible for between attaining maturity* and the ever diminishing pensionable age.

I completely understand that I'm very much in the minority with this view, however

*agreed there is some debate over whether this has actually occurred in my case
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2013, 13:45:35 »

I'm with you Phil.  Although I am now able to take advantage of the Senior Rail Card, for years I resented not being able to take advantage of any kind of discounted travel on the UK (United Kingdom) railways and I actually did not use the trains for anything other than travelling to London on my annual holiday and an occasional rover ticket.  It was better value to go abroad and use the Swiss railways!

However, a small concession now and again can encourage people to 'rediscover' trains and boost income.  It is a shame that some posters associated being 55 as the age at which one can no longer carry bags and only after that age does one wish to seek reassurance from staff that you are on the right train.  I believe we must try not to lump all young/old/disabled/blind/deaf/etc people into streotypical caricatures (and I'm sure I can be guilty of this from time to time).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2013, 00:03:42 »

Having just turned 55 a few weeks ago, I'm quite keen to see it reinstated and enjoy what is, as far as I'm aware, the first and only "privilege" an employed white able-bodied middle-class male is eligible for between attaining maturity and the ever diminishing pensionable age.

You are already well into the eligibility period for the Sun Life Over 50 Plan as touted by Sir Michael Parkinson, most often on Channel 4 during episodes of Countdown and Deal or No Deal. Don't forget - you get a Parker pen just for applying.

Oh, and there's the various benefits and offers available from the Saga Group.  Tongue Wink Grin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 00:11:33 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2013, 00:06:36 »

Don't start me off on those Over 50 plans....  get reminded about them too often!!  Grin
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2013, 07:38:40 »

Oh believe me, I applied to RIAS, Saga and everyone else I could think of once I passed 50 in order to get the cheaper car insurance I was promised by the ads.

But, no. Apparently the old Land Rover that I drive is classified as a "van", and as such is exempt from any offers available to older drivers. Grrr.

Sorry, straying off topic there I know...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2013, 08:45:55 »

What makes a cliff more dangerous is the relatively long sudden drop from top to bottom or - when Club 55 is running - the sudden change in fares from aged 54 and three quarters to 55 and a quarter.

Many posters have suggested that the Club 55 ticket should not be provided - thus removing this dangerous cliff.   But how about removing the long drop by tackling it the other way - lowering the top of the hill?  There are so many other dangerous cliffs off the top on this top-priced hill; there are green and pleasant pastures for the familiy, for the forces, for children, for the disabled, for people who live in the South East (yeah, right - the standard of living there makes them really deserving of special treatment!), for people who travel the same route numerous times per week, for staff, for people who are not UK (United Kingdom) residents.   

Fix so many of those by offering products - perhaps with a somewhat lower discount than other railcards - an "anyone" card, where the single criterion is an ability to fund the purchase.  You'll increase offpeak ridership and (staff members here please note), you may do so with people who won't require quite so much customer service.

Typically, I travel whether or not club 55 is running.  But if it's running, I'm more likely to use the train and less likely to drive.   This week, I've decided that 2 x 96 pounds isn't on for trips to Oxford, and I've driven and am staying.   I know I could have save a bit with splits and perhaps singles.  And I also know that at 15 or 20 pounds return per day, I would probably have occupied a seat in a train which will be otherwise unoccupied. P.S. The journey is 60 miles, so the 96 pound fare is 80p per mile.

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2017, 17:12:59 »

I am signed up for offers from Arriva Trains and have just received an email from them advertising their Club 55 as being available. However, the days it is available is from September 6th to November 1st, so they are just letting those who have opted to be told about it one and a half months after the offer started and just two weeks before it finishes! Angry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: