05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:41:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "The Reading Mile" - what is it?  (Read 14922 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2011, 17:47:22 »

Been running around the country from place to place over the last week or so, hence my lack of posts...

In the course of one of my journeys yesterday, I spotted a sign that's got me slightly mystified: it's a sign on the approach to Reading from the west, on the south side of the line (i.e. adjacent to the down fast) that says "You are now entering The Reading Mile". There's other text on there but it was dark and rainy outside and we were going too fast for me to read any more. Definitely an official-looking Network Rail sign in their corporate style, and I think located some distance west of Reading West Junction.

Any ideas...?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 18:03:39 »

An ongoing initiative to keep railway property in the area clean and tidy and to discourage fly-tipping:

From Network Rail Press Release, July 2009:

Over a tonne of litter have been removed today by a special squad led by Network Rail to clean up the Reading railway, creating a ^golden mile^ near Reading station.

The ^Reading Mile^ initiative has brought a vastly improved environment for local residents and passengers, and has served as a warning to fly tippers who use the railway as their dumping ground.

A large cycle wheel, a football and broken bottles were among some of the litter picked up by the 30-strong squad from Network Rail.

Jack Hitchcock, western route maintenance director for Network Rail said: "We have a duty to the community to remove this blight from their area but time and money could be better used on improving and expanding rail services. This is why we urge anyone who has information about fly-tipping or other forms of vandalism to call the British Transport police and help us fight this costly anti-social crime."

^Not only is fly tipping an illegal activity, but it is unsightly and poses a health and safety risk to rail passengers, employees and our lineside neighbours. Large items such as beds and other household goods dumped pose a real safety risk to the railway as they have the potential to derail a train if placed on the track. It will also create access problems for our engineers when work begins in the area to redevelop Reading railway.

Following the success of the clean up, Network Rail will continue to monitor the area to remove further litter and crack down on fly tippers with the help of relevant authorities.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 18:08:53 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 18:52:33 »

Ahh. I see. That would be why there was all sorts of Network Rail scrap dumped on the ground then...
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 19:50:41 »

The signs have been up for many years before 2009 though.

NR» (Network Rail - home page) probably recycling an older initiative as their own...

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 20:03:25 »

As I said: 'ongoing'.

I've read elsewhere that similar initiatives were around in BR (British Rail(ways)) days, where prizes were awarded to P-way gangs for the best kept stretch of line in a region/sector. Only forum chatter mind, and I haven't found anything 'official'.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 20:24:23 »

Appreciated.

ISTM though, that the way the NR» (Network Rail - home page) press release reads, they are making it sound as though the 'Reading Mile' terminology came with the new initiative.

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 21:46:07 »

There was a similar initiative around Bristol Temple Meads, in 2006.  From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Staff help big station clean-up

One mile either side of Temple Meads was cleaned

A clean-up operation around Bristol's Temple Meads railway station has seen 36 tonnes of rubbish cleared and 285 pieces of graffiti removed.

More than 50 staff from Network Rail took part in the spring clean around the station on Monday.

Tracks and buildings in the Temple Meads area are now a "zero-tolerance" zone in an attempt to cut vandalism.

Network Rail says it will work closely with British Transport Police and Bristol City Council to enforce this.

Robbie Burns, Network Rail's Western Route Director, said: "We are determined to tackle graffiti and vandalism on the railway and make sure people know this will not be tolerated. Any help that members of the public can give us in catching those responsible is welcomed and we urge anyone with information to call the British Transport Police."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 22:11:10 »

I've read elsewhere that similar initiatives were around in BR (British Rail(ways)) days, where prizes were awarded to P-way gangs for the best kept stretch of line in a region/sector. Only forum chatter mind, and I haven't found anything 'official'.

Pretty sure that's true - the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) has a BR cut-out metal sign (in the style of the old line-speed indicator signs) that was awarded for the "prize length" (*cough*) and erected in the appropriate location.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 22:14:34 »

See also http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.railway/2008-01/msg04896.html  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 00:17:55 »

Pretty sure that's true - the NRM» (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about) has a BR cut-out metal sign (in the style of the old line-speed indicator signs) that was awarded for the "prize length" (*cough*) and erected in the appropriate location.

Prize lengths really were immaculate, you only have to look at photos of 60s and previous and most track was pretty good no weeds no litter/scrap NO TREES on the cutting or emabankemnts. Square edged ballast with neatly sloping sides no stones on sleepers.. Even sidings were kept pretty clear.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:37:57 »

It seems of late this initiative has gone quite lately, although I think it is more a spring / summer activity.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 16:52:44 »

As someone who was around Castle Cary in the late fifties / early sixties I can vouch that the award of the 'Prize Length' plate to a gang was a matter of huge prestige, and earned the respect of railwaymen of all grades and departments.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 16:59:59 »

As someone who was around Castle Cary in the late fifties / early sixties I can vouch that the award of the 'Prize Length' plate to a gang was a matter of huge prestige, and earned the respect of railwaymen of all grades and departments.
Today NR» (Network Rail - home page) has the "Golden Rabbit" it is awarded to the Maintenance area with the best reliability, response times etc

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 17:06:35 »

"Golden Rabbit" not very inspiring now a "Golden Spanner".
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 18:00:47 »

Thanks for that confirmation, rogerpatenall - and a warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: