Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:11:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead station - car parking issues - ongoing discussion  (Read 105817 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2018, 10:04:52 »

Their response "I spoke to @APCOAUK a while ago and they confirmed it is now open, if you speak with them they can confirm the specific date it was reopened.".. So maybe it is..or maybe I believe everything I am told... I shall take a trip down there later to confirm if this is true or not.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2018, 13:52:43 »

That turned out (as I expected) to be a totally made up fact...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2018, 18:48:12 »

Thanks for checking.
My expectations for GWR (Great Western Railway)/Apcoa to tell the truth weren’t high. They met my expectations well.
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2018, 12:24:13 »

I'm not sure what's going on but Shoppenhangers car park has been more busy than ever for the last 2 weeks - cars queuing to park at the far end by 06.55am, full by 7.  Is there more traffic, is another car park closed or is it a change in the timetable?
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2018, 13:18:11 »

I agree - the last two weeks have been hellish. 
Silco Drive being closed is the main factor (hence enquiries to find out when this will reopen).  I think that some passengers from the Marlow branch line (and Henley?) are possibly driving to Maidenhead since the cessation of direct services to Paddington.  And finally it is peak 'got to go to work'/'haven't got any holiday booked' time of year.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2018, 12:57:05 »

I pointed out their incorrect information and that there isn't enough parking and questioned who is responsible for providing enough parking at stations and got the following reply "Hi there. We work alongside APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) to assess parking. I will make sure your feedback is recorded Maidenhead. I will give the station a call to get an update on Silco Drive. When I hear back I will be in touch".. That was on Tuesday.. I'll chase for a response next week if I don't get one.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2018, 18:56:52 »

An update from my helpful source at GWR (Great Western Railway).

Works at Silco Drive are delayed due to Network Rail needing to retender.  There is no eta for the release of the car park.

👎
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2018, 19:30:11 »

That's not ideal in the slightest.. The car park itself looks to be pretty much empty and unused each day from what I can see from the other side of the railway line which is a big waste or valuable parking space
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 05, 2018, 07:06:24 »

Indeed.  FYI (for your information) shoppenhangars road car park is 50% closed for Network Rail activity over the next few days.
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2018, 08:25:53 »

I see the top half of Shoppenhangers car park has been tarmaced - which presumably means no expansion (upwards?) of the car park.  Lets hope Crossrail doesn't grow the number of passengers....

I wonder by how much APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) feel they can increase the daily rate for a non-pothole rubble-covered surface.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2018, 21:28:58 »

I travelled from Wycombe to Birmingham last weekend (and back) and couldn't help notice that GWR (Great Western Railway) could take some advice from Chiltern about providing adequate car parking at their stations..

Take High Wycombe for example.. Their car park is about the same size in my opinion as Shoppenhangers at Maidenhead.. But then they've put a big multi storey on part of it so that when I got there about 1pm Friday I had a couple of floors of spaces to chose from. I saw many other similar car parks at Chiltern operated stations from the train..
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2018, 22:08:56 »

I travelled from Wycombe to Birmingham last weekend (and back) and couldn't help notice that GWR (Great Western Railway) could take some advice from Chiltern about providing adequate car parking at their stations..

Take High Wycombe for example.. Their car park is about the same size in my opinion as Shoppenhangers at Maidenhead.. But then they've put a big multi storey on part of it so that when I got there about 1pm Friday I had a couple of floors of spaces to chose from. I saw many other similar car parks at Chiltern operated stations from the train..

You mean like the one at Bristol Parkway and the one being built at Didcot Parkway?
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2019, 09:50:31 »

Maidenhead Shoppenhangers Rd station car park full by 06.55 again this morning with those missing out on a space facing a tortuous drive around the town centre to find alternative arrangements.  Any news if more convenient car parks will be opened up, or if Shoppenhangers Rd will go double-decker?  if Crossrail ever runs from Reading to central London (2022 maybe?) the situation will only get worse.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2019, 10:07:41 »

I fully concur - this morning was awful in shoppenhangers. Although, as an aside, whilst 20+ cars were battling over the final space at the end of the carpark there was a space right next to the exit that no one had seen!

I have it on good authority that Silco Drive will be reopening, and not too long (in GWR (Great Western Railway) terms) to wait. Once the platform works are completed there may be encouraging news.
Plans to double-deck (or triple deck, which is what is actually needed!) shoppenhangers have been abandoned as non cost effective. In some ways that goes without saying, that parking for an additional 200 cars would take a millennium to repay the millions it would cost to build the carpark, but Wokingham managed to overcome that hurdle...

In the meantime we’ll all have to set our alarm clocks earlier and earlier (I now get up 20mins earlier than I did 9 years ago, purely due to that infernal carpark).
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2021, 08:11:15 »

Well it’s now been over a year since I had the pleasure of using any form of GWR (Great Western Railway) service and my blood pressure is much the better for it
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
  Print  

Jump to: