22:30 London Paddington to Bedwyn
22:40 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
22:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 22:48:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: CrossCountry franchise draft timetable consultation  (Read 15287 times)
Graz

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2007, 20:23:16 »

Sorry if this is the wrong board, and this (technically!) isn't First Great Western. But the draft timetable and consultation process for the new CrossCountry franchise, affecting journeys from Penzance, Plymouth, Exeter, Taunton, Bristol, Cardiff, Gloucester, and Cheltenham to the north has been published and if you travel along these routes, it's well worth taking a look. The document is here: http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/ams/routes/timetable2009new_oct07.pdf and there's an email address at the end for all comments, etc.

It's worth noting that the number of trains to Ashchurch for Tewkesbury and Weston-super-Mare appear to have been cut, but overall I think it looks good.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 20:25:01 by Graz » Logged
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 20:40:17 »

I notice from the CrossCountry site Arriva will be dropping the Brighton services from December 2008.

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/ams/faqus/#4

In future, all Brighton bound bound traffic will have to change at Reading and use FGW (First Great Western) services. Wonderful!
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 21:31:09 »

I'm still clueless on how they got the franchise.

in all honesty this is a major cut back compared to what used to happen, so i'd like to know were x amount of new seats are coming from that arriva quote
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 22:06:20 »

Extra seating, well that is an interesting story. Initially

- Get 5 extra HST (High Speed Train) trains, and refit like like HST, but remove the buffet.
- Add extra seats to Voyagers/Super Voyagers by removing buffet

but Virgin have scuppered this plan. Apparently they are transferring some Super Voyagers to the Virgin West Coast Franchise, so Arriva have lost a lot of 5 carriage trains.

So the new Cross Country franchise will have less capacity than present, and no buffet to serve hot refreshments.

I bet the Dft didn't see this one coming!

John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 22:57:24 »

The DFT (Department for Transport) engineered the transfer of the Super Voyagers, along with the transfer of the Birmingham - Glasgow services to Virgin West Coast. It was all tied in with the NCC franchise, so will be no surprise to anyone. Much to the dismay of most industry watchers, it has to be said, who wanted through services from Glasgow to places south of Birmingham..     
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 23:12:06 »

Extra seating, well that is an interesting story. Initially

- Get 5 extra HST (High Speed Train) trains, and refit like like HST, but remove the buffet.
- Add extra seats to Voyagers/Super Voyagers by removing buffet

but Virgin have scuppered this plan. Apparently they are transferring some Super Voyagers to the Virgin West Coast Franchise, so Arriva have lost a lot of 5 carriage trains.

So the new Cross Country franchise will have less capacity than present, and no buffet to serve hot refreshments.

I bet the Dft didn't see this one coming!

iirc thay took over 25 super voyagers for north wales route development / other route expansion
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 15:28:20 »

It's worth noting that the number of trains to Ashchurch for Tewkesbury and Weston-super-Mare appear to have been cut, but overall I think it looks good.

In the case of Ashchurch for Tewkesbury (without wishing to detract from the WSM case) this is really not on. See quote below :

I visited this station on 12/10/2007.

Quote from Wikipedia (link below.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashchurch_for_Tewkesbury_railway_station

"When reopened in 1997, there were considerably more northbound services, with many trains from Cardiff calling here. However, in the early 2000s these services were withdrawn, reducing the usefulness of the station. Passengers wishing to travel to Birmingham usually have to travel south to Cheltenham Spa, change onto northbound train, then return northwards, passing through Ashchurch without stopping. From December 2006, some peak time services to and from Birmingham were reintroduced."

I do find it rather weird that more trains dont call here off - peak other than the 2 - hourly FGW (First Great Western) service. Currently , the every 15 minutes "rail - link" bus service to Tewkesbury seems completely wasted.

There is also a large car park , which again is an example of potential wasted due to the relatively sparse service and wide catchment area.

Still , the station is in relatively good condition , and I have never seen an empty platform when stopping there on my way through. Wessex buffs may wish to know that one of the former TOC (Train Operating Company)'s area / rail network maps is still on display.

Also , I noticed that the line towards Evesham appears to be in situ. When passing through AFT , I always assumed that this was just a short siding. Anyone know how far the line extends? I know that there were cargo loading sidings for the nearby army base and that some still exist.

As stated above , some peak Nottingham - Cardiff trains do call at Ashchurch for Tewkesbury , and I caught one of these (the 1606) to Newport.

I must say that getting a seat on a clean , comfortable 3 - coach Central Trains Class 170 unit really does give you a sense of "how the other half live."

I note that I will no longer be able to catch a 1606 train from Ashchurch for Tewkesbury to Newport (or indeed on to Cardiff) if these plans go ahead.

AFT passengers do use this train , and I really think that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and Arriva need to get a grip.

Personally , I think that there is a case for all Nottingham - Cardiff trains calling at Ashchurch for Tewkesbury , but maybe that's just me.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 18:29:14 »

I note that I will no longer be able to catch a 1606 train from Ashchurch for Tewkesbury to Newport (or indeed on to Cardiff) if these plans go ahead.

AFT passengers do use this train , and I really think that the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and Arriva need to get a grip.

Personally , I think that there is a case for all Nottingham - Cardiff trains calling at Ashchurch for Tewkesbury , but maybe that's just me.

Couldnt agree more.

theres certainly a case for everyone to stop there.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 01:39:45 »

I'm still clueless on how they got the franchise.

in all honesty this is a major cut back compared to what used to happen, so i'd like to know were x amount of new seats are coming from that arriva quote

I got that wrong....

turns out Bristol keeps basically exactly the same service as before, tph wise
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 18:12:36 »

the new cardiff - manchester train is going to be useless as we already have an hourly cardiff - manchester train via the marches line.  please AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) divert the proposed cardiff - manchester train to NEWCASTLE after birmingham please?!?! 
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 18:13:48 »

the new cardiff - manchester train is going to be useless as we already have an hourly cardiff - manchester train via the marches line.  please AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about) divert the proposed cardiff - manchester train to NEWCASTLE after birmingham please?!?! 
Have you written to AXC to let them know your thoughts on this?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 18:16:33 »

It does seem a waste of train that could probably come from Exeter or something
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 18:18:40 »

Have you written to AXC to let them know your thoughts on this?

Yes timmer!!!! AND they have said there is nothing they can do about it!!  So much for a public consultation!!!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 18:21:00 »

Yes timmer!!!! AND they have said there is nothing they can do about it!!  So much for a public consultation!!!
Yeah I agree why bother! I think its all a bit of PR (Public Relations) excerise making it look like the public have a say on the railway they would like to see but they and Dft have already made up their minds what we are to get.
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 18:26:58 »

it certainly looks that way Sad
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: