I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:26:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Images of Wiltshire  (Read 6416 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:18:52 »

It's often said that Wiltshire is a county that everyone passes through on their way from London to the West, but no-one stops there.  Well - here are some pictures taken of one corner of Wiltshire that should show you that there's plenty to see if you do stop!

Bridge over the Avon

We have our City ...

Old historic buildings, memorials, squares.

Events in summer.

Countryside and country walks.

Old pubs and eateries

Georgian Splendour

... and our West End.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 18:00:29 »

I must confess Im one of those who frequently passes through Wiltshire on the way to Dorset, but one of my favourite towns to visit is Bradford on Avon.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 18:24:30 »

Having been driven through some of Wiltshire I can safely say its awful. Along with Bath and Bristol!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 20:45:51 »

Didn't you say before that you live in Paignton? if so then pot, kettle and black come to mind! I visited Paignton this summer and thought that people were exaggerating when they said it was a dump..... until I saw it for myself!!
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 21:17:47 »

Didn't you say before that you live in Paignton? if so then pot, kettle and black come to mind! I visited Paignton this summer and thought that people were exaggerating when they said it was a dump..... until I saw it for myself!!
I agree, I thought it would be lovely there but its an absolute dump. Off to Dawlish Warren next weekend(by train from Camborne 2.75 each way, booked the other night). Is that any better, it always looks good from the train but the bad thing is the line is closed Sat/Sun and as i'm arriving at 9 on friday i won't get to see trains rush along the sea wall. Sad
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 21:37:50 »

I agree, I thought it would be lovely there but its an absolute dump. Off to Dawlish Warren next weekend(by train from Camborne 2.75 each way, booked the other night). Is that any better, it always looks good from the train but the bad thing is the line is closed Sat/Sun and as i'm arriving at 9 on friday i won't get to see trains rush along the sea wall. Sad
Dawlish it's self is nice, the Warren is a bit tacky but nice surroundings there, and i'm just a snob!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 22:27:47 »

I've never said that Paignton was a nice place, far too many tourists. I'd rathe associate myself as living in the very nice location of Goodrington  Tongue

I was referring to the roads in Wiltshire as they were rather busy, not that Torbays roads are any better!
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 00:05:47 »

Oh dear, sumones just mentioned Camborne...................
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 06:09:22 »

Could be worse, REDRUTH spring to mind? when Redruth's mentioned I all of a sudden have horrible images of interbreeding, chavs and general drop outs and low lifes! Although there are a few decent people from there, not many though!!!!
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 08:31:46 »

Could be worse, REDRUTH spring to mind? when Redruth's mentioned I all of a sudden have horrible images of interbreeding, chavs and general drop outs and low lifes! Although there are a few decent people from there, not many though!!!!
Sorry I mentioned Camborne, don't live there just the closest station, which is actually quite nice. Freindly and helpful staff, free car park.
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 00:22:29 »

You dont need to apologise for mentioning Camborne :> The staff there are indeed very nice, however try asking traincrew where they are most likely to get a problem in Cornwall...... Yup, Camborne/Redruth, dread to think how many people travel free between these two stations every year, must be into the thousands.
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 08:49:50 »

You dont need to apologise for mentioning Camborne :> The staff there are indeed very nice, however try asking traincrew where they are most likely to get a problem in Cornwall...... Yup, Camborne/Redruth, dread to think how many people travel free between these two stations every year, must be into the thousands.
I agree Camborne and Redruth are the most troublesome places and people will travel free between there because the guard doesn't have time to check tickets. A worse example of free travel is Hayle/St.Erth.
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 09:33:57 »

I agree Camborne and Redruth are the most troublesome places and people will travel free between there because the guard doesn't have time to check tickets. A worse example of free travel is Hayle/St.Erth.
Teignmouth to Dawlish, or Teignmouth to Newton Abbot wins hands down for fare evading scroats!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 09:46:33 »

I think Paignton - Torquay scores pretty highly!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 10:41:04 »

I was referring to the roads in Wiltshire as they were rather busy, not that Torbays roads are any better!

This sort of thing?

Those are all the A350 ... middle of the day (NOT rush hour), during last week.  Slow moving traffic - 5 to 10 m.p.h. for about a mile and a half. (and it extended further that that as I turned off)

I dread to think ... what happens when we get the extra traffic diverted from Bath and around the [proposed] Westbury bypass along this way .... what happens if and when Asda get permission to put in their store and put in an extra set of traffic lights to control the extra traffic they hope to bring here ... what happens when we get the proposed 50% growth in the towns along this route. Perhaps a decent train service could take some of the load?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:57:34 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: