Short Run
20:24 Exmouth to Cardiff Central
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 23:22:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CrossCountry WiFi :D  (Read 7614 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2011, 20:09:09 »

This will please readytostart... I'm going to say something positive about CrossCountry Smiley

I took the 17:07 off Stoke-on-Trent to Birmingham New Street today and was shocked to see the train had WiFi. Curious as to why there was an unsecured wireless network called xcwifi, I had no choice but to join it... It would have been rude not to have done Wink

Even better... IT'S FREE AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED (But maybe that was a First Class thing Wink )!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

You have to register an account (Which took less than a minute) and it was reasonably quick for mobile internet.

Am curious as to which method it uses... Cellular 3G or Trackside Beacons... I suspect the former Wink

Well Done CrossCountry Grin

I will say though, I changed trains at Birmingham New Street onto the 18:12 Plymouth XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) Service. This unit didn't WiFi and Catering from the trolley never once came into First Class and the train was practically empty! Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 21:55:57 »

Looks like you managed to travel on one of just two (I believe) Voyagers that is currently trialling Wi-Fi!

CrossCountry are way way behind the roll out date for installing Wi-Fi on their fleet. The whole Voyager and HST (High Speed Train) fleet should have had it installed by 2009. A date that was a franchise commitment. They have already been fined once by the Dft for this failure.

After being fined, CrossCountry issued a statement saying they were having difficulties finding a system that would work effectively on the Voyagers, with signals being weakened by the high metallic content of the windows. Funny how Virgin were able to roll out Wi-Fi on their Voyagers with little problem.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 22:50:04 »

high metallic content of the windows

guess that makes up for the percentage of plastic used on the rest of the units!
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:17:24 »

AFAIK (as far as I know) it's just the one unit (220030) which has wi-fi fitted as part of a trial, when and if the cows come home rest of the fleet is fitted there'll be a cost in standard and free in first. Couldn't get my smartphone to connect when I was on the unit a few months back but I think that's more due to my phone's browser not bringing up the registration screen.
I could've checked the staffing of the 1812 if I'dve seen your post last night but was out for dinner, I know there were quite a few catering failures yesterday but have deleted that email from my BlackBerry already.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 15:27:16 »

BlackBerry!!! Shocked Cough, Splutter... iPhone's are the way forward governer Grin

There was definately catering staff onboard the train, the chap did a rather enthusiastic announcement that he would pass through the train. The train was very lightly loaded and there were plenty of available seats, so it wasn't like it was really busy. But he didn't come into First Class once between BHM and BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) Angry

I didn't want to get up and go and find him, because the amount of times i've been told to go and sit back down and wait till the staff member gets there, I didn't want to walk all the way up the train, just to have to come all the way back again, tail between my legs, empty handed.

No disrespect to you at all RTS and it's hardly end of the world stuff. But if I go to the Buffet Car on an FGW (First Great Western) service, yes I may have to queue up, but I will be served a cup of coffee and some biccys Grin

I have to say it's great that the WiFi is being fitted, and if they roll it out across the whole fleet, I will probably start to use XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) again, but the catering and rubbish all over the trains really lets the whole service image down. It's a shame really. Sad

Grin Grin Grin Grin
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 16:18:39 »

The company don't seem to want to give us all iPhones so BB it is for now, comes in handy for finding out where your train is and how many coaches it's missing, I mean has! Also lets you know what crew you'll be working with so can put you in either a good or a bad mood! I do find that Bristol caterers can be a little reluctant to come through the train but then again it's usually the same ones that don't bother making an announcement. Having not worked the route (well not that far down the line) I couldn't say whether it was a one off or not.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 15:06:12 »

Tweeted by Phil Haigh from RAIL magazine earlier on...

"CrossCountry has signed deal with Nomad to fit wifi to its HSTs (High Speed Train) and Voyagers by end 2012. Better late than never I suppose."
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 15:22:27 »

Three years late really is unacceptable. I wonder if the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) will fine CrossCountry again?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: