Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:09:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 18 Oct 6pm: Cancellations, Short Formations, Delays, Buffet Facilities  (Read 5851 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:47:56 »

Post from the Save The Train Forum (link below.)
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4480.msg8260#msg8260

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 17:58:15 »

Surely FGW (First Great Western) must be in the last chance saloon with the Dft by now. The amount of cancellations that are happening at the moment is as bad as it ever has been. What is it going to take before First are made to hand back the keys?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 18:22:52 »

Save The Train takes it to the extreme.

Listing every single cancellation without bothering to question why and see that it might not be FGWs (First Great Western) fault is simply petty.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 19:16:46 »

Listing every single cancellation without bothering to question why and see that it might not be FGWs (First Great Western) fault is simply petty.
Maybe, but you can go on FGW's website and find them there and sign up for daily bulletins that list known alterations and cancellations.

I was a bit harsh earlier when saying that surely FGW are in the last chance saloon and need to give the new MD more time. But all the while passengers are continuing to have to put up with overcrowding and cancelled services for whatever reason and this is very fustrating, especially when you know that there is more stock leaving with no replacements to take their place. If only they could keep the Adelantes which would solve many problems!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 19:33:34 »

I don't actually agree there, The fleet of 180s are going but there are a lot more HST (High Speed Train) sets still waiting to come out of refurb and i *think* it will mean the number of HSTs will exceed the previous High Speed (HST + 180) fleet.

Then again, i may be wrong,
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 20:39:23 »

I don't actually agree there, The fleet of 180s are going but there are a lot more HST (High Speed Train) sets still waiting to come out of refurb and i *think* it will mean the number of HSTs will exceed the previous High Speed (HST + 180) fleet.

Sorry I wasn't very clear there. I Was thinking more along the lines of 180s being transferred to Cardiff-Portsmouth to free up 158s for other local services.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 21:08:27 »

Sorry I wasn't very clear there. I Was thinking more along the lines of 180s being transferred to Cardiff-Portsmouth to free up 158s for other local services.

In an ideal world, this would happen...

however we're talking in the FGW (First Great Western) world, were maximising profits anyway possible is king
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 22:15:50 »

When you only have 2 trains each way a day, every single cancellation does count.

The evening train to Swindon this evening was cancelled, and I had a visitor due to go on it, connecting on on a "this train ONLY" ticket to London.  Phone calls elicited the fact that she could travel on the next train - 09:20 tomorrow morning - instead.  But if we gave her a lift up to Chippenham, she could NOT travel from there on the train 10 minutes ahead of the cancelled one.

Cancellation rates on the "TransWilts" have at times been up to 40% of services in a week and, yes, we do list each one that gets squashed.  It's not just a case of waiting half an hour as it is at Weston or Bristol or Exmouth - it's much more disruptive. But you'll also find if you look back that we make fair note of where cancellations are outside the remit of FGW.  Not looking for perfection - just hoping for something that is within an order of magnitude of what's specified.

Should I tell you here that two were shown as cancelled today?   That left our last train at Melksham at 07:17 ... this morning!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 22:22:14 »

'West' fleet availability is still complete and utter rubbish with units falling apart by the minute, the 150/2 fleet have turned into proper wrecks. Hopefully the 'refresh' will solve these issues?? However FGW (First Great Western) need to work on this aspect, Laira fitters can only just about tell the difference between a 150 and a 153 and know nothing when it comes to actually repairing one. Its perfectly common for units to have the same old fault in its log book for weeks on end, it just seems no one has the knowledge to actually rectify it....
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 22:32:08 »

'West' fleet availability is still complete and utter rubbish with units falling apart by the minute, the 150/2 fleet have turned into proper wrecks. Hopefully the 'refresh' will solve these issues?? However FGW (First Great Western) need to work on this aspect, Laira fitters can only just about tell the difference between a 150 and a 153 and know nothing when it comes to actually repairing one. Its perfectly common for units to have the same old fault in its log book for weeks on end, it just seems no one has the knowledge to actually rectify it....
The interior state of the 150's has dramatically decreased recently. They were brilliant when they were first introduced but there interiors are disgusting now.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 22:35:11 »

Exterior is just as bad, looks like most of them have been through a mud bath!
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 22:53:42 »

Exterior is just as bad, looks like most of them have been through a mud bath!

Thats common during leaf fall season with rails covered in sandite etc, at least they get washed at Laira, Long Rock, although that is pretty much all they do bar fuel them....
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 06:45:02 »

Unit availabilty (or otherwise) is FGW's Fault
Turns left uncovered is FGW's fault

They are the 2 most commen reasons for Trans-Wilts cancellations!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 08:20:18 »

And FGW (First Great Western) put the blame on ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) for the state of the 'West' fleet when it was handed over to FGW for maintainance. Of course that statement was retracted with the admission that they weren't ready to take over maintainance of the fleet last December. Bit of an understatement there as the depot at St Philips Marsh wasnt even built!

Maybe ATW could have helped them out a bit but when you make comments like that it hardly makes you want to offer experienced staff to come to the rescue.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 17:39:54 »

Unit availabilty (or otherwise) is FGW (First Great Western)'s Fault
Turns left uncovered is FGW's fault

They are the 2 most commen reasons for Trans-Wilts cancellations!

Listen to the spotter.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: