I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:20:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: West Wilts to Oxford - an impractical rail journey requirement?  (Read 18978 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:52:19 »

I'm in Oxford for a couple of days next week ... travelling from West Wiltshire (Melksham).   

<rant>Now ... you would have thought that with five trains an hour from Swindon via Didcot, and about 4 an hour via or passing Didcot for Oxford, there might be a chance of some connectivity, even though I have a very limited service indeed for the first leg of the journey.  But it rather looks as if the timing couldn't be much worse even if someone set out to make it hard - 07:19 from Melksham connects to Oxford at 09:15, with 23 minutes to wait at Swindon and 27 minutes at Didcot.   Quite starkly put, First are not offering me any way of actually making my journey without using car or taxi.  I did also check the first First bus ... and it gets to Chippenham at exactly the same time that the train calls there. Not exactly an alternative</rant>

Oh well - another road trip by the looks of things.  There's a hefty stick waved to keep private cars out of Oxford ... give me a carrot that provides a practical alternative and I'll use it.

(For anyone new to the journey, it's about 60 miles - so from my train leaving Melksham to arriving in Oxford I would be averaging a princely 31 m.p.h.)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
philvr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 15:54:41 »

I'm in Oxford for a couple of days next week ... travelling from West Wiltshire (Melksham).   

I just had a look at options for the route on Monday! Thinking it would make a nice day trip. Leaving Melksham at 7:19 arr Oxford 9:15 with return trip leaving 17:36 arr 19:10.

Ticket costs are ridiculous! ^51 as two singles or ^87 anytime return!!

This is plain crazy!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 16:04:19 »

According to Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) it should be ^38 anytime return (NFM06 prices, via Didcot) - another case of an error in the online booking systems?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 16:24:11 »

Defo a journey planner error, seems to be forcing you via Reading.

^41 Peak Day Return (Route Not Reading)
^87 Peak Return (Route Not London)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 17:50:48 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, philvr!

Chris  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 19:17:49 »

Would travelling via Westbury be a possibility?

Example
Road from Melksham to Trowbridge. TRO» (Trowbridge - next trains) 0727-WSB» (Westbury - next trains) 0734 & WSB 0751-RDG(resolve) 0850 for ^21 plus RDG 0911-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) 0934 for ^7.80 making a total of ^28.80.
You can make the trip from MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) by catching the 0641 service, and it is slightly cheaper at ^25.30, but the wait at WSB is horrendous (54 minutes-although I would consider it if a decent breakfast could be procured at Westbury!)

Haven't looked at returns using the same route.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 20:42:13 »

There is
06:41 MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) - 06:57 WSB» (Westbury - next trains)
07:01 WSB - 08:06 RDG(resolve)
08:11 RDG - 08:34 OXF» (Oxford - next trains)
And for an 08:45 / Oxford City Centre which is when / where I'm due, it's just OK.  But it's 60 seconds short of a connection at WSB and I've not costed it.

For return, Travelline gave me
18:31 OXF - 18:54 RDG
19:02 RDG - 19:16 Newbury
19:45 Newbury - 21:05 Melksham by National Express route 402
Which for my ideal 18:00 ex Oxford is - well - it would make a change!

P.S.  The AA says driving is 60 miles, and 1 hour 22 minutes.
So that is 7:00 from home - 8:30 in Oxford;  18:00 from Oxford, 19:30 home.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 21:51:48 »

I really like the fact that if I put Melksham to Oxford in NR» (Network Rail - home page) journey planner with an 8.30am arrival Monday.. it suggests leaving Melksham at 19.52 on Sunday arriving a whole eleven hours early  Smiley Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 07:06:56 »

I really like the fact that if I put Melksham to Oxford in NR» (Network Rail - home page) journey planner with an 8.30am arrival Monday.. it suggests leaving Melksham at 19.52 on Sunday arriving a whole eleven hours early  Smiley Wink

If you put in Oxford to Melksham for any day during the week for a morning arrival, it suggests 00:07 from Oxford to 06:41 at Melksham - 5 minutes at Didcot and 5 hours 32 minutes at Swindon.  Undecided

As it's an officially recognised / recommended through journey, I've often been tempted to try it sometime, and use it to help generate publicity for the case for a  better TransWilts service.  I wonder is I could find a quiet, warm corner to sit / snooze / work on my laptop during the wait, and if I could find someone from the press to accompany me and take photos ...

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 21:00:37 »

Posting from Oxford ... I drove in the end - just no practical rail-way, and I'm staying in a hotel up here overnight.  Awful journey on the road - about 2.5 hours, confirming there's a lot of traffic that heads up this way  Wink.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:29:46 »

I know Melksham has its own special issues, but Oxford's connectivity from the West is in general not great.  It seems that loads of the mainline HSTs (High Speed Train) to Swindon stop at Didcot but many of them do not connect very well.  There are many times in the day when it is quicker to go via Reading which as well as costing more just shows how bad the connectivity is on what ought to be a much shorter route with a change at Didcot. 
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 10:34:35 »

I agree. With at least two services per hour from Swindon to Didcot, and two per hour from Didcot to Oxford, connections ought to be good, but sadly Oxford departures are often a few minutes before Swindon arrivals, or so close after as to not be reliable, so only about one per hour is actually a workable connection. It is very frustrating to see Oxford trains that have often been waiting several minutes in Platform 3 start to pull away just as a Swindon train pulls into P2.

Let's hope Reading upgrade and electrification will allow a timetable with better connections.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:38:23 »

Let's hope Reading upgrade and electrification will allow a timetable with better connections.

I'd hope that this would allow some tweaking of the timing, but the other issue is that the wrong Oxford-Reading trains stop at Didcot.  I suspect that this might be use to Didcot pathing issues. 
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 11:06:48 »

Withdrawing the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) stops at Didcot didn't help- justified by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) on the grounds that there are "excellent connections" via Oxford which, a) isn't the case, again with lots of trains timetabled not to connect and b) ignores connections from the West.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 13:07:53 »

Withdrawing the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) stops at Didcot didn't help- justified by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) on the grounds that there are "excellent connections" via Oxford which, a) isn't the case, again with lots of trains timetabled not to connect and b) ignores connections from the West.

absolutely agree.  Fortunately my regular Bath-Oxford commuting days are over.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: