04:53 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
05:00 Reading to Redhill
06:02 Bristol Parkway to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 06:32:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[271] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[95] You see all sorts on the bus.
[92] "Mayflower"
[85] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[57] Death of another bus station?
[34] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Late Night Bristol - Cardiff train  (Read 9564 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« on: January 20, 2011, 14:41:40 »

While i was waiting at Bristol TM(resolve) last night for the 22:54 service to Cardiff central i noticed that the  information board on platform 4 was shwoing a service to Cardiff at 01:34. This service wasnt shown in the FGW (First Great Western)  timetable book that i have but a check online showed it.

Now  am i right in guessing that  it was a fault in teh journey planner or something or  have FGW decided to run a overnight train  between Cardiff & Bristol?

I took a photo of the screen  which is  at:

http://anthonyjohn550.photoblog.me.uk/p68763476.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 14:48:30 by anthony215 » Logged
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 14:51:49 »

Are you sure it is not at the start of your book as it would be the first train to run in the morning
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 14:54:58 »

I checked an could not find anything although  a service at that time would be good for anyone traveling from Bristol Airport. But wouldn't FGW (First Great Western) advertise this service.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 15:02:04 »

Yeah that's the 2330 off PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains).

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 15:03:45 »

The 23.xx Paddington-Bristol is extended to Cardiff. Looking quickly through the relevant timetables, it seems to be shown where it should be. I thought the TM(resolve) stop might be set-down only, which would explain it not being shown on planners, but it appears to be an ordinary stop now.

Some years ago there was a similar service (I used it around 2001 on a Saturday; not sure if it ran in the week). That made 's' stops after Swindon, so if there was any engineering work it could terminate at Temple Meads but connect with a bus at Swindon. That service was withdrawn at some point, but seems to have re-appeared in the last few years, with Newport appearing to be the only 's' stop.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 15:06:03 »

I checked an could not find anything although  a service at that time would be good for anyone traveling from Bristol Airport. But wouldn't FGW (First Great Western) advertise this service.

That service is the 2330 from London Paddington, calling all normal stations to Bristol, then Newport and Cardiff Central. Its advertised in Timetable 1 and 2, however not in any of the local timetables. It then returns to Bristol Temple Meads empty (not booked to visit St Phillips Marsh) and forms the empty stock that then forms the 0620 from Weston-super-Mare.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 15:25:48 »

Smart move, not full advertising a service like that.  Then when it is porly used it can be axed to save money.

Cynical, Moi?
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 15:32:43 »

Checked the pocket timetable on the firstgreatwesterm website for Cardiff to Bristol and it is there. 
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 15:41:01 »

Ok  thanks for the information although i have no idea why it isnt in the timetable book i have. might get another 1
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 16:10:50 »

Which 'book' are you talking about?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 19:46:29 »

In timetable book 28, on page 21, it's shown as MX - Service operates Tuesdays to Fridays only.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 00:39:55 »

And at the end of the same timetable it is listed twice, with different timings for Friday Only (FO) and Friday Excepted (FX).

In timetable 2 it is only listed at the end of the day, again with FO and FX timings. No mention of MX there.

Roll Eyes Huh

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 00:55:44 »

Err ... no: on page 26 in timetable book 28 (Mondays to Fridays) it's shown in two columns in black as the 0134 from BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains), either setting down only at Newport at 0210 or 0200, and arriving at Cardiff at 0231 or 0217.  No note as to whether this difference relates to FO, or FX - in which case, surely these entries in the printed version should be in pinkRoll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:16:19 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 01:33:46 »

Ahh, I'm looking at the network timetable book and assuming the individual books would be the same. Sorry!

No MX in my book. And the FO and FX are in pink in both the Bristol/Bath to Cardiff and Paddington to Bristol/Somerset/South Wales timetables. Booking engines show the 2330 ex PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) as a runner on Mondays also.

Perhaps paying ^3 for a Network Timetable guarantees greater accuracy?

Timetable errors? Surely not?

Wink Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 12:07:50 »

The MX is in the Bristol-Cardiff local timetable. The stops shown on that timetable are entirely after midnight, so it's shown at the beginning of the day. I would guess it doesn't run on Sunday night, so there's no Monday morning service, hence the MX.

In the HSS (High Speed Services) timetables, it's shown as a 2330 start, so it's an evening service, running Mon-Fri, with different timings on Friday. Those differerent timings would show up on a Saturday morning in the local timetable.

There's a special module in the Comprehending Tickets & Timetables course on services that run after midnight...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: