15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 18:14:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[121] access for all at Devon stations report
[38] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[27] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[5] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: At what age would you first allow your SON to travel alone by train?  (Voting closed: February 06, 2011, 18:02:44)
Under 10 - 1 (3.6%)
10 or 11 - 8 (28.6%)
12 or 13 - 12 (42.9%)
14 or 15 - 7 (25%)
16 or 17 - 0 (0%)
18 or 19 - 0 (0%)
20 or older - 0 (0%)
I would never allow it - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Travelling alone (2) - your SON  (Read 10995 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:08:18 »

This is the second of two polls asking at what age you would let your SON travel alone by train for the first time.  This is a "present day" question; the first poll asked about when you first travelled alone by train, and I'm looking (on that one) for historic data.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:20:54 »

I can't answer but I will poll some friends and answer on their behalf

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:34:55 »

In my case it was when.

I took him on a train to Reading and put him on an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) (47/8) to Southampton Central where he was met by his Great Aunt.

Although I travelled alone at 10 I think I would leave it to 12 nowadays for two reasons, on many lines there are no Guards and many stations unmanned.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:56:36 »

put him on an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) (47/8) to Southampton Central

Them's were the days! And I'm not event that old...
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:18:04 »

I can not afford any kids, but if I did have any, I would consider that a fairly young child, aged perhaps 10, could make a simple rail journey on their own.
I dont think that the distance is very important but the complexity is, and I would be a little doubtful about a younger child having to change trains owing to the risks of delays and lost connections etc.
A long but simple and direct trip such as Paddington to Plymouth, no problem for a sensible kid.
The general availability of cellphones is a very considerable advantage as the child may seek advice or keep parents informed in the event of delay, diversion, extreme weather etc.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 15:55:53 »

Erm... I'm probably a bit young to have kids Shocked Wink Cheesy

But I would say if they took after me in any way. I would have no problems starting with a simple journey from the beginning of a double figure age Smiley

*edit* - Moved my other comment to a more appropriate thread which I didn't spot before posting Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 18:03:39 »

Just two more days to go on this poll ... will all you "weekend only" types vote, please  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 19:55:07 »

My son (who shares none of my interest in trains) has shown himself to be perfectly competent in travelling from NLS on his own - with an appropriate 'health and safety' briefing from me, obviously! - from the age of 12.

CfN  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 20:08:20 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 20:00:05 »

And here is a question - would the answers be any different if it was about your DAUGHTER

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 20:03:50 »

Of course it would - but that wasn't the purpose of the poll!  Roll Eyes Tongue Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 21:17:36 »

No - but since im a bolshy cow I would seriously object to being treated different!  I may impose my own safety rules - and did even at 14 - but I railed at my parents for imposing them on me

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 21:35:40 »

And here is a question - would the answers be any different if it was about your DAUGHTER

Why not start a poll  Cheesy Grin

I had a specific reason for asking the question as I did (and, yes, I thought "daughter" too) ... I don't want to influence anyone, so I'll leave my explanation until after this poll closes.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 21:40:45 »

Erm ... just out of idle curiosity on my part, Mookiemoo: are you saying that you became a bolshy cow from the age of 14?  Wink Cheesy Grin

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 21:46:07 »

Erm ... just out of idle curiosity on my part, Mookiemoo: are you saying that you became a bolshy cow from the age of 14?  Wink Cheesy Grin

Think I was born that way but I remember it was the first time I argued back properly with my parents - I looked over 15 (I looked older than I was as a teenager and now look younger than I am - I think I an frozen in stasis) - want to go see beetlejuice with a boyfriend - they had no issue with me going to see a 15 but did have with me getting a train from  orrell park to liverpool central on a sat night.  I did the teenager strop and stormed off anyway

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 09:25:55 »

here is the results....

link here

http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/community/mbd/post.aspx?page_size=25&rownum=6&threadpage_no=1&sincedate=04%2f02%2f2011+00%3a00%3a00&thread_id=38114901&board_id=480&forum_id=1&thread_name=Q+for+another+forum+I+use+-+to+parents+of+sons&mod_no=&daterange=2days&viewchange=LASTPOSTDESC

yeah - its a bunch of fat women but its a public googlable forum so copying the link in doesnt matter

probably about 12 short, 16 long but it very much depends on the individual boy|
MCMICROGAL
11-11 / 11-4 / 9-6
Recent Posts: 23090

04/02/2011 21:23:51   report this post | ground rules
My answer would be the same for daughters,
WILLOTHEWISP
Recent Posts: 29722

04/02/2011 21:25:28   report this post | ground rules
I've always used the local trains with my children, so as soon as they went to Comp, I've allowed them to go into Cardiff or to visit family unaccompanied as they knew the route.

My son would have been 11. He's 16 now and has been to other locations on different routes with friends since he was 14.
 HELISH
14-9.5 / 14-9 / 10-7
Recent Posts: 2160

04/02/2011 21:28:09   report this post | ground rules
I didn't catch a train until I was 16, first time I caught one alone I was 18, but that's cos the taxi of Mum/Dad was always on hand.

Best mate used to take a 20mins train each way to secondary school from the age of 11, but those were less scary times and in the countryside.
. . . . . . . . . .
After being a bad WWer last year I have reset my stats for this fresh start.

So onwards and downwards as 2011 is going to be my year.
tonydeighton
13-13 / 13-7 / 10-7
Recent Posts: 32921

04/02/2011 21:45:18   report this post | ground rules
We let my son use trains on his own from about 10, I probably would have let him do it sooner but the question never arose. Trains are very safe to use.

T Smiley
tonydeighton
13-13 / 13-7 / 10-7
Recent Posts: 32921

04/02/2011 21:46:02   report this post | ground rules
I used the tube from aged 8.

T Smiley
CITYLADY73
14-10 / 12-4 / 11-
Recent Posts: 571

04/02/2011 22:22:14   report this post | ground rules
guess it depends on how grown up your child acts. I'm just letting my son use the trains now he is 14. But i allowed my daughter at 12 as she seemed capable to keep herself safe at that age. Its a tough one. Good luck. x
DUCKDAZE
9-7 / 8-12 / 8-5
Recent Posts: 71799

05/02/2011 07:40:56   report this post | ground rules
My daughters will have to use the train for a short journey every day from the age of 11 to get to school.

My friends used to do the same thing when I was that age.
. . . . . . . . . .
7lbs back to goal:
Week 1: -1lb.
Week 2: +1lb
Week 3: STS
*NEWNESSNOODLE*
Recent Posts: 14754

05/02/2011 07:51:52   report this post | ground rules
I can recall using the tube alone (but not in rush hour) prior to emigrating so I must have been under 12/13 yrs.... Buses a year or two younger than that.... I know children now who go to secondary school by themselves on public transport so it hasn't changed all THAT much over the years it would seem
OTTERS4EVER
Recent Posts: 33117

05/02/2011 07:55:13   report this post | ground rules
I went Sheffield to London, then St Pancras across to St Margaret's, which required changes, to stay with my Grandma, when I was 14. I was sensible and probably too scared to go looking for trouble.

I think it depends on known character/confidence of son (or daughter), how simple the journey is, and what the expectation is. As Ducky said, if that's how you get to school, then that's how you get to school!

At least these days everyone has a mobile phone, too.
. . . . . . . . . .
7 ☆ 7 ☆ 7 ☆ 7 ☆ 7 ☆ 7 ☆ 7 ☆
KATIECOUNTRYMOUSE
Recent Posts: 1405

05/02/2011 09:10:36   report this post | ground rules
Son used trains for short journeys at about 12. He is now 15 and I think I would allow him to use them for long journeys if he needed to because he is very sensible.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: