Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 10:01:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[75] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[73] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[72] Is any one attending the TWSW(friday)?
[68] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who should be given most consideration in a refit - commuter or leisure traffic?  (Read 4738 times)
vacman

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2007, 21:33:48 »

Refurbed HST (High Speed Train)'s are much better than previous! you get a nice bit of privacy in the airline seats, charger sockets, the problem with the english is we don't like change! everyone hated HST's when they were new, everyone hated 47's when they were tena penny then when they were on the way out everyone started loving them!!!! and the main thing is there's more seats in the refurbed HST's, admittedly theres less tables BUT to have more commuters (the people who travel every day and make up around 90% of FGW (First Great Western)'s customers) seated rather than standing at peak times when they pay hundreds of pounds for season tickets must take priority over families who travel twice a year on cheapo tickets who want the whole carriage and every table to themselves!

This topic has been split out from "142's Devon Bound" - Graham
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 08:24:06 by grahame » Logged
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 00:02:17 »

admittedly theres less tables BUT to have more commuters (the people who travel every day and make up around 90% of FGW (First Great Western)'s customers) seated rather than standing at peak times when they pay hundreds of pounds for season tickets must take priority over families who travel twice a year on cheapo tickets who want the whole carriage and every table to themselves!

But commuters are travelling at very cheap rates (pence per mile) and incur a great deal of expense in capacity only used at peak times. Every extra family off-peak means extra cash to the ToC for a miniscule increase in train operating costs.

Yes, I have a family, and now have very little desire to use FGW towards Paddington.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 20:20:28 »

admittedly theres less tables BUT to have more commuters (the people who travel every day and make up around 90% of FGW (First Great Western)'s customers) seated rather than standing at peak times when they pay hundreds of pounds for season tickets must take priority over families who travel twice a year on cheapo tickets who want the whole carriage and every table to themselves!

But commuters are travelling at very cheap rates (pence per mile) and incur a great deal of expense in capacity only used at peak times. Every extra family off-peak means extra cash to the ToC for a miniscule increase in train operating costs.

Yes, I have a family, and now have very little desire to use FGW towards Paddington.
Maybe they are travelling at a cheaper "pence per mile" but they travel thousands of miles every year and to be honest they probably pay more than most families who travel on leisure advance tickets which are rediculously cheap, children under 5 who travel for free and occupy seats whilst commuters stand is not right!
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 00:16:27 »

Maybe they are travelling at a cheaper "pence per mile" but they travel thousands of miles every year and to be honest they probably pay more than most families who travel on leisure advance tickets which are rediculously cheap, children under 5 who travel for free and occupy seats whilst commuters stand is not right!

Hi Vacman...Perhaps Graham had better move the pair of us off the "142" thread, although I don't really want to prolong this debate. The point I am trying to make is that accommodating the commuter has now reached such measures of desperation that it adversely affects the "product" as seen by other categories of traveller (i.e. those you need to attract to off-peak trains to get the "bottom line" right.).

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 08:34:33 »

Hi Vacman...Perhaps Graham had better move the pair of us off the "142" thread, although I don't really want to prolong this debate. The point I am trying to make is that accommodating the commuter has now reached such measures of desperation that it adversely affects the "product" as seen by other categories of traveller (i.e. those you need to attract to off-peak trains to get the "bottom line" right.).

Topic split as suggested (wow - that was an interesting excersize - I've not had to do a selective posts one like that before!) and I'm moving it up to "Fare's Fairt" too as it's not just a Devonian topic.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 08:36:47 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 09:06:05 »

I do hear you, Trowres, concerning an ongoing conversation.   But then I have been resisting the temptation to put in my own, selfish, extra thoughts on this thread - so I'll do so now and perhaps vere the topic in a new direction.

I travel quite often by train.   I don't have a regular journey - today it will be Taunton, on Monday I'm off to London, and so on. Usually on my own. And it's quite rarely that I can predict my timing.  Furthermore my journey tends to start/end at Melksham where there are no off peak services, and are often long distance.

So it's very rare that I can take advantage of:

Book ahead / fixed train fares.
Off peak fares.
A "bulk buy" deal on a specific route (season ticket).
Local area rover type tickets.

Neither do I fall into a favoured category - I can't use:

Family Railcard (have one, but they make their own way these days)
Student ticket (though I'm always learning)
Senior Citizens special (but only a few years to go!)
Rail worker's discount (though I think I'm doing something for the railway here!)
Disabled Rail card (I'm fortunate in this area)
BritRail pass (I'm a UK (United Kingdom) resident and not a favoured overseas visitor)
Groupsave (but there's a huge temptation to stand with a billboard and form a group!)

Shouldn't the major consideration in a refit being those people who are paying the highest fares ... or  are there so few of us that we can be disregarded as an insignificant minority?

What would I like to see?

* Comfortable ride, comformable seat, comfortable temperature
* Seating for all, including [I'm not one] the more generously built members of the population.
* Space to read / use a reasonable size laptop / do paperwork
* On a journey of over 30 minutes, the ability to use the loo
* On a journey of 60 minutes, somewhere I can get a coffee and snack at any time, knowing where that refreshment facility is in the train and that I'll be able to return to my seat afterwards.
* I put my safety high up the list too.
* Speed not critical - I am quote happy with 5 minutes longer on 2 hours if there's a buffet car

I'm consciously NOT asking for luxury items such as service at seat, WiFi, recliners, etc; those can indeed be reserved for a higher price premium service

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 12:26:56 »

out of interest i thought the new hst's were all getting wireless?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 21:23:22 »

Think that is happening at a later date

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 16:17:50 »

Wireless? We've got 32 of the buggers running from one end of the train to the other! Grin
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 18:03:52 »

I'm still yet to pickup wireless signal on any of the refurbs, you sure?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 18:39:13 »

None of them have any. Its being installed once the whole fleet has got its shiny new ironing board seats
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: