Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:04:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for disabled access ramp to platform 1 at Nailsea & Backwell Station  (Read 30643 times)
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 20:39:43 »

There are already two disabled spaces in the car park at Nailsea & Backwell - but they're never used, due to the lack of disabled ramp access from platform 1....

Well, never used by those for which they are intended.....  Grin

*whistles innocently*
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 14:06:34 »

From the North Somerset Times:

900 sign station petition

The 913 signatures were collected by Nailsea resident Rita Booth from people living in the town.

Rita, aged 85 of Godwin Drive, decided to collect signatures after she had trouble accessing trains from Nailsea and Backwell due to her disability.

On August 27, she and three others stood outside Nailsea^s Tesco store to encourage more people to sign her petition.

Last week, the Times reported how Backwell mum, Satoko Black, had also compiled a petition in the hope of getting a ramp installed at the station to allow access for those who may be disabled or have pushchairs with them.

This was sent to First Great Western which then sent an application to the Department of Transport for a ramp to be created. The application will be determined later this year.

At a meeting of Backwell Parish Council on Thursday, members decided to write a letter in support of Satoko^s campaign.

Rita^s petition document will now be passed to Nailsea Town Council and then North Somerset Council for consideration.

Rita said: ^I thought a petition to show the views of people from Nailsea, along with the one collected in Backwell, would help to achieve a lot more.^

Cheers,
Mike
John R

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 13:29:14 »

DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have announced today the construction of a ramp at the station, cost ^1m.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/access-for-all-mid-tier-funding/successful-bids-2011.pdf

Edited to add link
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 13:35:09 by John R » Logged
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 19:02:07 »

Nice to see it happening.

1 thing I don't like however is the costs of installing ramps or lifts etc.

^1 million for a ramp it does seem a bit excessive to me, but I am sure others may disagree.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 19:48:58 »

Interested to see that they also mention the ramp at Keynsham, first announced some years ago (2008 perhaps...?).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 20:37:23 »

Interested to see that they also mention the ramp at Keynsham, first announced some years ago (2008 perhaps...?).

Keynsham hasn't appeared in the list of Access for All stations before, as far as I can work out from the latest and previous CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) enhancement plans, so it may just have been a local aspiration previously.   Whatever the history, getting added to the programme is quite a success, as the budget is only to do about 30 stations a year...

Paul
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 22:18:54 »

FGW (First Great Western) certainly distributed a press release a few years back announcing the ramp for Keynsham (something along the lines of a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) 'access for all' scheme, possibly?) - I think there was a thread running here with a few more details that I may have started. Haven't got the time at the moment but when I get a minute I'll see if I can dig out the original press release and the thread here.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 22:43:35 »

OK, so here goes...

Original FGW (First Great Western) press release from 2006, confirming my recollection that is was a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Access for All initiative.

Then there is a Bristol Evening Post article from 2009 suggesting that there was a row over who was going to pay for such improvements, which had apparently been presented as a fait accompli in the original FGW article.

Then yet another article from 2010 saying that funding was awarded to the tune of GBP 100,000.

And then this most recent announcement which I think said GBP 415,000.

Hardly surprising I've lost track, I suppose!
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 07:35:34 »

I noticed last night whilst waiting at Bradford on Avon that Platform 1  has sprouted a really very impressive disabled access ramp since I was last there.

Both in colour and complexity the ramp resembles nothing so much as a fun-fair ride at a holiday camp, with bright yellow paint and a zig-zag of innumerable short runs going hither and thither. I'm sure it'd be a huge success at Butlins (and I rather suspect the local skateboard community have fun with it too...), but I can't help thinking it looks a little at odds with the existing built environment at Bradford.

Sorry if that comes across as sounding rather curmudgeonly though. The lashing rain and severe delays (caused by cows on the line I understand now, though at the time there was no information given) didn't help my mood particularly.

One of our Graham's excellent photos can be found here: http://www.wellho.net/pix/wwrugb.jpg

not too sure how the orange barrier helps with access!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:45:29 by Phil » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 11:20:08 »

OK, so here goes...

Original FGW (First Great Western) press release from 2006, confirming my recollection that is was a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) Access for All initiative.

Then there is a Bristol Evening Post article from 2009 suggesting that there was a row over who was going to pay for such improvements, which had apparently been presented as a fait accompli in the original FGW article.

Then yet another article from 2010 saying that funding was awarded to the tune of GBP 100,000.

And then this most recent announcement which I think said GBP 415,000.

Hardly surprising I've lost track, I suppose!

How peculiar - I took 'another tack' and looked up various Access for All lists on the DfT website and archive, and in the CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) enhancement lists.  Never mentioned there over quite a few years, the list here starts off with what was already done prior to 2011...

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/access-for-all-stations/Stations_in_England_and_Wales.pdf

So as your saga suggests this must have been bubbling along just failing to get the decision because of various disputes...

Paul

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 21:43:20 »

DfT» (Department for Transport - about) have announced today the construction of a ramp at the station, cost ^1m.

^1 million for a ramp it does seem a bit excessive to me, but I am sure others may disagree.

Hmm.  Roll Eyes Shocked

Confession time: my own figure, suggested in this topic earlier this year, was a complete and utter stab in the dark - deliberately pitched at just under ^1 million.

... that would cost about ^925,000 by my reckoning ...

On that basis, I ought to have a job as a building surveyor with Network Rail!

Chris.  Wink
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 19:39:44 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 22:02:37 »

An update, from the Weston Mercury:

Boost for disabled people after funds are found for a ramp at rail station

After years of campaigning for a ramp at Nailsea and Backwell Station, work on the project has finally begun.

A design for the ramp has already been drawn up and once it has been approved by North Somerset Council, work can begin.

There is currently no ramp on the south platform, so disabled passengers have to warn train operators a day before they are due to travel to get assistance onto the train and get off at Bristol on their return journey to catch a taxi.

Members of Backwell Access Group first appealed for a ramp in 2008 and the Government finally pledged ^1million towards the project in December last year.

A First Great Western spokesman said: ^Good progress is being made on detailed designs. This is a joint project with North Somerset Council and Network Rail. They will need to review the design and confirm they are structurally sound and within budget. We are on target for this to happen in early November. Once the designs are agreed we will be able to set a firm timetable for work to start.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TheLastMinute

This really isn't worth reading.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 18:06:28 »

Things are progressing along with the new access to NLS as can be seen from the planning application that North Somerset has published today. The new access is going to be new ramps for both platforms and the new stairs to platform 1. The plans and the full application can be viewed on the North Somerset website.

TLM
John R

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 21:45:13 »

The plans have now been approved, subject to agreement on replacements for the three trees that will have to come down adjacent to the garage. I would have thought given the restrictions on felling during the nesting season that they would come down soon.

Also, (from the local rag through the door) the land has been bought for the extension to the car park, and planning for that has just gone in (although not on-line yet).  How does a council ask itself for planning permission I wonder?  Charging will commence once the extension is complete, along with a degree of restrictions on local roads to avoid the obvious happening.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 20:30:00 »

Somewhat later than I predicted, the three trees were lopped today - the first sign of any activity on the construction of the new ramps.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: