Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:09:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Crosscountry trains - HST or Voyager?  (Read 36816 times)
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:45:04 »

I am booked to travel from Chesterfield to Newton Abbot on the 12:06 Crosscountry service on the Royal Wedding Bank Holiday (29th April). I am interested to find out whether I will get a Voyager or an HST (High Speed Train). Looking at the booked seat I have been given (seat 6 coach A - window seat in First Class) and checking CrossCountry's online train seating plans, it would seem to suggest the service will be run by an HST.

Would anyone on here be able to confirm? (I understand if it's probably a little early at the moment!) I don't know whether XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have more Voyagers than HSTs but whenever I've been down in Devon I'm sure I've seen more XC Voyagers than HSTs.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 11:10:39 »

According to the booking engine, you are indeed booked onto one of CrossCountry's HST (High Speed Train) sets.

CrossCountry only have 5 HST sets versus 57 Vomiter units!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:38:07 »

According to the booking engine, you are indeed booked onto one of CrossCountry's HST (High Speed Train) sets.

CrossCountry only have 5 HST sets versus 57 Vomiter units!

Ha! What are the odds!  Grin

Will be interesting to see if they stick to their promise and an HST is scheduled for that trip!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:13:00 »

The odds are better than you might think, based on the numbers 'BNM'' posted.

If you divide the main XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) network into four routes, ie  Scotland/NE - Devon/Cornwall, Man Picc - Bristol, Man Picc - Bournemouth, and Newcastle - Reading, their Voyagers go everywhere, but the HSTs (High Speed Train) only do the first route. 

Then there are four southbound to Plymouth in the morning, and four northbound from Plymouth in the afternoon - so if your journey fits those times of day it'll usually be about 50/50, I think.  Furthermore, the services that are formed of HSTs are not random, they are the same every day, as shown in FGWs (First Great Western) timetable books (but not XC's)...  Sad

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:26:52 »

So, at the moment, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have four daily diagrams for their five HST (High Speed Train) sets?  This is good news - I thought during the week a few were being left in the sidings?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:30:08 »

Current Mon-Fri diagrams here:

http://www.thejunction.org.uk/diagr.html

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:31:24 »

Furthermore, the services that are formed of HSTs (High Speed Train) are not random, they are the same every day, as shown in FGWs (First Great Western) timetable books (but not XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s)...

Ah... didn't realise that! Until I looked into my seating/coach allocation I had assumed it would probably be a Voyager, but would be dependant on what was available set-wise on the day, though I do remember FGW always used to indicate Adelante services in their timetable and EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about) currently show when Meridian trains are to be used.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 12:51:14 »

So, at the moment, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have four daily diagrams for their five HST (High Speed Train) sets?  This is good news - I thought during the week a few were being left in the sidings?

It changed in December - some people reckon because of the Southampton extensions, but I reckon that single unit per day requirement was met by no longer running a mid-day double Voyager on the Man - Bournemouth service.  Whatever the reason, they'll definitely all be needed from the May TT change, as the transfer of most Edinburgh - Glasgow ECML (East Coast Main Line) services to XC also requires more Voyagers.

Paul
laird
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 13:14:02 »

While you might not want to proceed with the booking through the cross country website, I once used it to look at the seating layout on a particular service by pretending I was going to make a booking, that confirmed the service I was contemplating was a HST (High Speed Train).
Admitdely the CrossCountry seat selection part of the website isn't the most reliable as sometimes it just simply won't load but when it does you can see whether it is a 4 car voyager or something else.
I suspect the fifth car is always missing because it is not reservable in case a Voyager substitutes for a Super Voyager. Also I've never tried booking on a double set, do Cross Country allow reservations in coaches G onwards?
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 13:18:03 »

I should also explain I booked this journey through TheTrainLine rather than XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise))'s site as I also needed to book a journey from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) a few days later, but then I suppose I could have booked the whole lot through XC's site as it's the National Rail booking system.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 13:48:33 »

Indeed you could have, and saved yourself booking, postage and card fees.  Wink

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 13:57:31 »

It changed in December - some people reckon because of the Southampton extensions, but I reckon that single unit per day requirement was met by no longer running a mid-day double Voyager on the Man - Bournemouth service.  Whatever the reason, they'll definitely all be needed from the May TT change, as the transfer of most Edinburgh - Glasgow ECML (East Coast Main Line) services to XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) also requires more Voyagers.

That's good news.  I thought it pretty scandalous on such a busy franchise that all available stock wasn't in daily service, and I'm sure that they've added some much needed capacity on the routes through the SW.  Doesn't stop me wincing when I see a 4-car Voyager turn up on one of the busier services from Bournemouth or for the 13:46 Southampton to Edinburgh on a Friday afternoon though!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
James Vertigan

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 14:50:56 »

Indeed you could have, and saved yourself booking, postage and card fees.  Wink

Well I saved myself postage, by picking all my tickets up at Paddington station!   Grin Tongue
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 15:36:19 »

I always use the FGW (First Great Western) site for tickets - they don't charge extra for anything.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 21:53:20 »

I thought it pretty scandalous on such a busy franchise that all available stock wasn't in daily service ...

Of course Cross Country aren't the only ones.  Lisa and I travelled on an early afternoon Chippenham to Paddington service on Sunday last ... a 125 that was so deparetly overcrowded when it pulled in that I wondered if we were going to be able to board, even though I had taken the precaution of booking seats.

Bristol to London is only hourly on Sunday, and I calculate that means that 4 x HSTs (High Speed Train) are parked up rather than being in service.  South Wales to London is also only hourly, so that's a further 4 sets.  And the Cheltenhams don't start until very late in the day.  So by my working, that's at least 10 trains not in service at a time when overcrowding is rife, week in and week out.

Now here's the next leg of our journey:

Mark III carriages again, but rather better space, plenty of tables more comfortable seats, Wifi, and a half hourly service.  It's not all a one way street - these carriages looked a bit tired compared to the Chippenham to Paddington ones, and there were no power points at the seats.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: