Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningDelayed
23:48 Bristol Temple Meads to Exeter St Davids
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 01:26:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help please  (Read 6995 times)
New2trains

View Profile Email
« on: February 28, 2011, 20:53:27 »

Hi all. I am new to traveling by train, hence the name.  Grin
I am traveling from Plymouth to Reading this coming Saturday and wondered if there was a way of finding out all the stations the train will be stopping at? Including the diversion due to engineering works. Thanks in advance for any help offered.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 22:42:57 »

First off, welcome to the forum New2trains.  Wink

As for your query; it would help if you can tell us what time you are planning to leave Plymouth, or if you've already booked a ticket, what service you are booked on.

Generally, direct trains to London are diverted after Exeter St David's calling at Exeter Central, Honiton, Axminster and Yeovil Junction, then rejoining their normal route at Castle Cary, from there services have different calling patterns to Reading. Some omitting Westbury and some calling at Pewsey and/or Newbury.

The last direct train of the day leaving Plymouth at 1942 is scheduled via the diversionary route through Yeovil Junction and another diversionary route after Westbury, through (not calling at) Melksham, then joining the Great Western Main Line calling Chippenham, Swindon, Didcot Parkway, Reading and London Paddington

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 22:50:06 »

You can also look up your train on the National Rail Enquiries website the click on the "Details" link, and under the train you'll be catching click on "show calling points".
New2trains

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:41:36 »

First off, welcome to the forum New2trains.  Wink

As for your query; it would help if you can tell us what time you are planning to leave Plymouth, or if you've already booked a ticket, what service you are booked on.

Generally, direct trains to London are diverted after Exeter St David's calling at Exeter Central, Honiton, Axminster and Yeovil Junction, then rejoining their normal route at Castle Cary, from there services have different calling patterns to Reading. Some omitting Westbury and some calling at Pewsey and/or Newbury.

The last direct train of the day leaving Plymouth at 1942 is scheduled via the diversionary route through Yeovil Junction and another diversionary route after Westbury, through (not calling at) Melksham, then joining the Great Western Main Line calling Chippenham, Swindon, Didcot Parkway, Reading and London Paddington

Hi and thanks for your reply, i am booked on the 11-14 from Plymouth to Reading, Saturday 5th March.

New2trains

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:43:58 »

You can also look up your train on the National Rail Enquiries website the click on the "Details" link, and under the train you'll be catching click on "show calling points".
Thanks
I have done that already, it shows Totness - Newton Abbot- Exeter St David- Exeter Central- Honiton- Axminster- Yeovil- Castle Cary.... but nothing else, i want to know all the stops on my journey, not part way  Undecided
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:25 »

Thanks
I have done that already, it shows Totness - Newton Abbot- Exeter St David- Exeter Central- Honiton- Axminster- Yeovil- Castle Cary.... but nothing else, i want to know all the stops on my journey, not part way  Undecided

I think that probably IS all the places that it's scheduled to stop for passengers along the way - so it would be regarded as a complete list.   It's possible that it will be stopped at signals at other stations (and between stations too) along the way, but that's not known until the day - it depends if other trains get in the way  Cheesy

Trains will be busy as there are fewer than usual from London to Exeter, and other service will be serving the intermediate stations to Exeter, from Exeter to Yeovil, and from Castle Cary to Reading.  To stop your train at those would slow it down and lead to overcrowding.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:33:46 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 13:28:56 »

Plymouth 11:14
Totnes 11:41
Newton Abbot 11:54
Exeter St Davids arr. 1215 dep. 12:26 (reverses)
Exeter Central 12:31
Honiton 12:53
Axminster 13:06
Yeovil Junction 13:37
Castle Cary 14:10
Reading 15:11
London Paddington 15:39

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
New2trains

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 15:28:50 »

Grin Ok thanks, apparently Castle Cary is the stop before Reading, i did not know this.  Embarrassed
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 15:53:13 »

its worth pointing out that this route is due to weekend engineering works (not sure if you are aware) and this service normally goes via taunton which is faster, however you will be embarking on a rare treat... or is that just me being sad?......i will be out with my camera!
New2trains

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 16:11:20 »

its worth pointing out that this route is due to weekend engineering works (not sure if you are aware) and this service normally goes via taunton which is faster, however you will be embarking on a rare treat... or is that just me being sad?......i will be out with my camera!

Thanks, i was aware of the engineering, but only cause i checked out the status myself, so much for signing up to the text alerts, no one alerted me of any changes   Shocked

I will wave to you as i pass by.  Cheesy
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 16:18:21 »

Even under normal circumstances with no engineering there are lots of possible "last stops" before Reading. Some west of England services take the "Great Way Round" via Bristol Temple Meads, so last call before Reading on those might be Swindon or Didcot Parkway. When running via the geographically more direct "Berks and Hants" line the last stop might be Exeter, Taunton, Newbury and there may well be other options too.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 18:00:02 »

however you will be embarking on a rare treat... or is that just me being sad?
Depends if you class being on an HST (High Speed Train) that will be rammed full because it's being diverted a 'rare treat'. Having twice experienced FGW (First Great Western) West Country to London services when they have been diverted via Yeovil...lets put it this way I won't be doing it again if I can avoid it.

So as not to put off our new member New2trains, as you are joining at Plymouth you should be all right especially if you have a reserved seat. Do come back and let us know how your journey went.

PS You are not being sad relex109 as I would recommend anyone who hasn't bashed a diverted HST going via Yeovil and Exeter Central to give it a try BUT almost all services will be very busy so unless you have a reserved seat you will almost certainly be standing.
New2trains

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 19:46:23 »

I have reserved a seat, thankfully. Don't fancy standing for 4 hours  Wink
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 23:08:01 »

To my knowledge the text alert service is only for unplanned disruption - so you wouldn't have got a text about this.
Unless it's a different service you using for text alerts, not gonna lie, I'm not overly familiar with them.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 23:15:48 »

I have those text alerts on my mobile - and yes, it is indeed only for last-minute delays and cancellations on the dayWink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: