Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 17:46:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Car parking with Ringgo / APCOA Connect  (Read 113643 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 11:38:38 »

I'm sure it will be - although it ought to be by now....
Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 12:18:55 »

The new system will also charge you for the phone call, when using a mobile with minutes as it is a non-geographic number: 08451 228008.  Angry
At the moment I can not find an alternate geographic number which would use inclusive minutes.
brizzlechris

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 13:43:52 »

Saw the smallest of notices on the stairs for platform 2 at Bath Spa today.
clevedonian

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 19:23:08 »

there was a two page leaflet on my car windscreen when i got back this evening, with the new arrangements.

i really liked ring-go!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 19:45:24 »

The 'Car Parks' section of the FGW (First Great Western) website has been updated with a 'coming soon' for APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) Connect:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=185

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 20:05:40 »

Lets just hope they're not over zealous with parking tickets the first week or so until everyone finds out about it...
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 20:28:10 »

Even if they do place a speculative invoice on your windscreen made to look like a proper parking ticket, just put it in the bin.

Perhaps we should start gathering information on alternative non railway run car parking near to stations and the cost. I'll start...

Maidenhead- Stafferton Way Multi Storey- Cost ^4.10/day- 3 minutes walk from the station
Twyford- Polehampton Close Pay & Display- Cost ^3.00/day- 6 minutes walk from the station
North Camp- Hollybush Lane on-street- Cost- Free, unrestricted- 2 minutes walk from the station
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 11:30:52 »

Perhaps we should start gathering information on alternative non railway run car parking near to stations and the cost. I'll start...

There's a good website called Parkopedia which allows users to search on places such as railway stations and returns lists (including prices) of nearby public car parks and also private individuals who rent out driveways, etc for parking.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 20:06:49 »

Interesting announcement from RingGo this evening:

Four days ago we let you know of a certainty.

That certainty was that RingGo was to be withdrawn from NetworkrRail and First Great Western stations within the next 2 weeks.

Today that certainty is no longer, due to the scale, the sheer enormity, of the indignant response that has flooded back to us, to First Great Western, to MPs (Member of Parliament), to APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area), to the press and other media, to the twittersphere and to the ad-hoc rallying point The Yellow Lines.  It has been awesome.  Thank you so much.  We are amazed, humbled and hugely grateful to you for your support.

What is more, facts have surfaced, that seem to show that First Great Western made their withdrawal decision on the basis of false information.  It may be that this is true of NetworkkRail^s decision too.

Because of this development we have had clearance from our lawyers to make a public statement which is now posted on our site.   To see it click here.

Given these exceptional events, we hope you haven^t minded our getting back in touch.  Your involvement is clearly making a direct difference and might mean we can continue to help make your parking payments swift, easy and secure.

Warm regards

RingGo Customer Care

Aforementioned Public Statement:

A statement of clarification

Under a decision made by APCOA and sanctioned separately by Network Rail and the First Great Western Railway, the RingGo phone parking service is scheduled to be withdrawn from the car parks of each later this month.

We deeply regret this decision and would like to take this opportunity to express our pleasure in having supported the customers of both rail organisations and indeed the organisations themselves.   

We have been made aware that the reasons for this change have been discussed by First Great Western in customer communications.  The following words have been used in emails from the customer relations team of the First Group

"The change is being made because of a significant increase in call charges proposed by Cobalt, (the provider of RingGo). We supported APCOA (who have the car park contract) when they decided not to accept these increases."

It had been our intention not to comment on the background to the withdrawal, but we feel compelled to respond and state that this is categorically not true.  We do not however allege any intent by First Great Western or the First Group to make a false statement.  We have formally sought clarification from them but fully understand that they may have been misled.

Since its launch on 12th June 2006, and as a founding principle of the service, access to RingGo has always been through ordinary geographic telephone numbers.  This has meant that our customers are never in doubt as to how much their call costs.  In the case of contract customers, they enjoy the extra benefit of their call charges being included in their allocation of airtime minutes.  We therefore take particular offence at this allegation and refute it utterly.

For the additional avoidance of doubt RingGo's unit charges to APCOA have been held static for the last 5 years, despite inflation.   In addition, within the last year, proposals have been tabled to APCOA to reduce those unit charges further still.

http://www.ringgo.co.uk/APCOA
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 22:29:12 »

So.. Sounds like it's all a bit up in the air at the moment with a week to go?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 09:49:12 »

FGW (First Great Western) are sending out this reply to customers who contact them....

Thank you for your xxx of xxx. I appreciate you are concerned that the RingGo service will no longer be available at our Station car parks and I am pleased to have this chance to explain our position.

The change is being made because of a significant increase in call charges proposed by Cobalt, the provider of RingGo. We supported APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) when they decided not to accept these increases.

We will therefore be offering a similar system, APCOA Connect, from 14 March.  This system is already the preferred choice of several Local Authorities, Network Rail, and is equally as secure and easy to use.

You will need to register your details with them the first time you park, or you can register now on APCOA^s website; www.apcoa.co.uk/connect. After this, you can carry on paying for your parking, as efficiently as you have always done.

I hope you are reassured that an excellent replacement service will be available and thanks again for your xxx.

So, not up in the air & the change looks on the cards.
FGW have also leafletted all cars parked in car parks.

Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 10:43:43 »

FGW (First Great Western) are sending out this reply to customers who contact them....

Thank you for your xxx of xxx. I appreciate you are concerned that the RingGo service will no longer be available at our Station car parks and I am pleased to have this chance to explain our position.

The change is being made because of a significant increase in call charges proposed by Cobalt, the provider of RingGo. We supported APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) when they decided not to accept these increases.

We will therefore be offering a similar system, APCOA Connect, from 14 March.  This system is already the preferred choice of several Local Authorities, Network Rail, and is equally as secure and easy to use.

You will need to register your details with them the first time you park, or you can register now on APCOA^s website; www.apcoa.co.uk/connect. After this, you can carry on paying for your parking, as efficiently as you have always done.

I hope you are reassured that an excellent replacement service will be available and thanks again for your xxx.

So, not up in the air & the change looks on the cards.
FGW have also leafletted all cars parked in car parks.

The email statement above is why RingGo made the public response to the change in parking system. We will hopefully find out more in the next few days as to whether APCOA connect will be implemented or RingGo will be retained.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 11:28:38 »

As far as FGW (First Great Western) are concerned, its being implemented.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 17:08:19 »

At 12:30 today the sign platform side at parkway where you get the rail code was still giving ringo details with no indication of a change - I wonder how many people were caught out if they just park and run and check the code as they go down the stairs

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 17:56:58 »

Hasn't yet changed, so they'll be fine.

Might help to read the whole thread before posting? due on next Monday.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: