Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
22:35 Maidenhead to Marlow
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:49:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock cascade of class 150s  (Read 154011 times)
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 16:39:34 »

153s also have less power than 150s, 155s, 156s and 158s so for that reason that can't run routes that have steep gradients such as Buxton-Manchester, which is also a route that 14xs aren't permitted to run. 

Not a question of power, as the engine is the same. It's the extra  4 tonnes per vehicle (compared to a 150) that makes them slow of the mark. 2x 153 is marginally quicker than a single due to frontal aspect versus installed hp ratio, but it don't make much difference.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 19:02:25 »

Do you really think the 185 seating in standard class is suitable for 4 hour journeys?  Most people have had enough of it after 2 hours.

Yes.

By "most people" I assume you mean the people that you read whining about it on rail forums, not actual passengers. Pretty lazy to assume that "most people" agree with you if you can't actually back that comment up.
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2011, 10:27:17 »

Do you really think the 185 seating in standard class is suitable for 4 hour journeys?  Most people have had enough of it after 2 hours.

Yes.

By "most people" I assume you mean the people that you read whining about it on rail forums, not actual passengers. Pretty lazy to assume that "most people" agree with you if you can't actually back that comment up.

So from your comments am I correct in assuming you've either done Manchester Airport to Edinburgh or Liverpool to Newcastle on a 185?  If not how can you say the seating is acceptable for 4 hours of travel? 

I'll have to take a voice recorder with me on to a 185 for evidence of passengers not being happy with the 185 seating but I've got ^1 for everytime I heard someone on a TPE (Trans Pennine Express) service commenting on the seats being hard I'd be able to travel on TPE without using any of my own money as long as I kept off the 170 operated services.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 13:03:50 »

I've done Glasgow to Manchester using TPE (Trans Pennine Express) - didn't bother me in the slightest Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 16:45:17 »

Preston to Edinburgh for me on a 185. I weren't uncomfortable either. I even dozed off.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 17:02:57 »

I've only done Windermere to Preston.  No chance of dozing off due to the continuous automated announcements!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 19:09:13 »

Preston to Edinburgh for me on a 185. I weren't uncomfortable either. I even dozed off.

Related to the point IndustryInsider makes if you dozed off you must doze off easily.  Ignoring the 185 seating there are a lot of automated announcements even between stations, the doors on the 185s slam when they close, the doors also close automatically after a couple of minutes so can slam three or four times at one station, plus there's the conductor coming through shouting "tickets please" usually followed by the person with the refreshments trolley.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 19:13:21 »

...you must doze off easily. 

Yes. Sure-fire trick works for me. It's called a very long day travelling and red wine!

A combination that can have unexpected consequences. Like having to spend the night in Brum after missing Brizzle!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 22:03:00 »

I've done Glasgow to Manchester using TPE (Trans Pennine Express) - didn't bother me in the slightest Smiley

Bristol Edinburgh.

220/1 are NOT repeat NOT designed for this sort of journey.

And if you would like to discuss it calmly don't speak to me the next time I do it.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 22:06:08 »

I've done glasgow to Preston on a 185 and thought it was pretty comfortable!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2011, 23:22:53 »

Bristol Edinburgh.

220/1 are NOT repeat NOT designed for this sort of journey.

And if you would like to discuss it calmly don't speak to me the next time I do it.
You must think I'm crazy then, as I'd like to do the 08:28 from Penzance to Glasgow Central - just for the sake of doing it Tongue
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2011, 23:56:20 »

Isn't Plymouth to Aberdeen a longer journey?

Of course there's the definitely longer 0820 Aberdeen to Penzance XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service. 13h22m on a Voyager. Hmm.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2011, 23:59:55 »

Of course there's the definitely longer 0820 Aberdeen to Penzance XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service. 13h22m on a Voyager. Hmm.
Oh I should do that one then, fancy it?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2011, 00:03:37 »

You're on yer own, Ollie. I'd rather go East Coast to London then FGW (First Great Western) on proper trains thanks. Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2011, 09:40:09 »

Maybe some of the ideas here together you can get a solution that most people will be happy with.

New 7 car mk5 trains replace Voyagers on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) routes.
Voyagers replace 185s on TPE (Trans Pennine Express) routes.
185s continue to run TPE's Manchester-Hull service displacing 170s.
42 185s and 9 170s are then available directly or indirectly to various operators for extra capacity.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: