Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 18:40:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[270] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[87] "Mayflower"
[77] You see all sorts on the bus.
[49] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line
[41] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[38] Where have I been?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Online FGW ticket buying warning !  (Read 27125 times)
imac

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 11:15:36 »

Interesting.

The strict principle, as suggested by Ollie, must be true and would apply in a commercial contract. However Courts, in dealing with consumer matters, tend nowadays to take a wider view. They don't like 'fine print'. I would have to see a court case before myself coming to firm conclusions on this one. 

FGW (First Great Western) might find it difficult to deny that they know about this problem [ even if because it has now been discussed on this unofficial web site]. The prudent thing would surely be to get the contractors to sort the web site?

Even railway web sites can be sorted quite quickly. I recollect once, myself travelling quite legitimately within open hours, waving  friendly-like in front of the Inspector a fresh printout that showed that cheap tickets did not have a block before 09:30. He turned ashen faced, made an excuse and left in a hurry. By that evening, that part of the web site had been closed, and by the next day had been fixed.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 13:18:36 »

FGW (First Great Western) might find it difficult to deny that they know about this problem [ even if because it has now been discussed on this unofficial web site]. The prudent thing would surely be to get the contractors to sort the web site?
The ticket buying pages of the website are operated by Trainline.com Limited, who trade as "First Great Western".  It is also made clear in the T&Cs that you are dealing with Trainline.com Limited.

The company who run the main website (and the trains) is First Greater Western Limited trading as First Great Western.

I believe First Greater Western Limited would easily be able to argue that it isn't their website which is giving the misleading information.
Deltic

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 14:03:20 »

I usually use East Coast, which has the Mixing Deck interface and gives 10% discount on their own fares.  If the FGW (First Great Western) site does not give discounts, then I would advise using an alternative site with the Mixing Deck.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 16:37:19 »

I usually use East Coast, which has the Mixing Deck interface and gives 10% discount on their own fares.  If the FGW (First Great Western) site does not give discounts, then I would advise using an alternative site with the Mixing Deck.

That's somewhat logical in that a certain percentage of the ticket price goes to the ticket seller (what figure is it these days? Anyone know?) and if you can sell your own tickets with low admin costs, why not?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
imac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 20:58:47 »

Even more interesting.

Two different firms apparently trading in the same area and under the same name.
I had forgotten about the change of firm's name to First Greater Western in 2006 ; thank you for the reminder.
However the 'Legal Notice' seems also to have forgotten, as First Great Western and First Greater Western seem to be used indiscriminately through the page of small print. Perhaps there is a reason, but it is not immediately obvious?
In the Legal Notice it is "our on line ticket booking service".

What I have also found on exploring the relevant web site is that a warning about Advance Tickets pops up when one hovers over the 'cheapest fare' words, but not when one simply clicks in the purchase box. And, yes, agreed, there is a final warning at the point of purchase.

It all looks a bit of a shifty muddle to me. I don't follow the logic of the contributors who defend this arrangement. A simple fix to the web site would deal with my stupid-consumer issues and resolve any possible legal issues in one.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 21:31:38 »

In which case, imac, you will need to take that matter further with 'First Great Western' themselves.  This particular forum is not an "unofficial web site" for, or on behalf, of FGW (First Great Western): it is "provided by a customer of First Great Western, and the views expressed are those of the individual posters concerned."

Chris.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
imac

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 13:37:55 »

No, no - Chris!

I would not want to be beastly to FGW (First Great Western) after my outstanding day out on Club 55. I shall cherish the memory until, hopefully, next year's offer.

And I personally can buy FGW tickets at my local station, where the team are both pretty well briefed and tolerant of answering silly questions.

imac
standardsingle

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 14:12:06 »

Even more interesting.

Two different firms apparently trading in the same area and under the same name.
I had forgotten about the change of firm's name to First Greater Western in 2006 ; thank you for the reminder.
However the 'Legal Notice' seems also to have forgotten, as First Great Western and First Greater Western seem to be used indiscriminately through the page of small print. Perhaps there is a reason, but it is not immediately obvious?
In the Legal Notice it is "our on line ticket booking service".

What I have also found on exploring the relevant web site is that a warning about Advance Tickets pops up when one hovers over the 'cheapest fare' words, but not when one simply clicks in the purchase box. And, yes, agreed, there is a final warning at the point of purchase.

It all looks a bit of a shifty muddle to me. I don't follow the logic of the contributors who defend this arrangement. A simple fix to the web site would deal with my stupid-consumer issues and resolve any possible legal issues in one.

Hi if you ask for a refund you find yourself dealing with First Great Western.  They just say no, taking a "we don't make mistakes" attitude, which is unwise considering that websites can and do have problems despite everyone's best efforts.

If you contact Trading Standards, now Consumer Direct, they will tell you what others have here: Distance Selling rules do not apply in this case.  But they'll probably also tell you that you can write to the company saying that misleading statements by them led you to buy something you did not expect and so you would like it refunded.  The key word  in law seems  to be "Misrepresentation".  In this case Trading Standards were interested and said that if the refund was refused they might look into it.  Passenger Focus expressed the same interest.

Likewise your credit card company's TOS probably give "product not as described" as grounds for a chargeback, in other words a refund.  In this case FGW (First Great Western) did not see a case for a refund but the credit card company did, finally.

I see FGW's site has been made over but the booking apparatus looks the same, so I am updating this so anyone having difficulties will understand that they can pursue the matter.  There's now also a warning at stives.mobi/transport.php

I truly cannot see why they set it up like this.  Well, until I spoke with someone who got off a plane very tired and clicked the first option seeing the word "cheapest" and bought a first class ticket without meaning or wanting to.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 15:52:02 by standardsingle » Logged

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 17:23:16 »

Standard disclaimer...not a lawyer!

So as I understand it from what you have written above, the credit card company has agreed to refund as they judged the goods not to be as described. I am inferring (perhaps incorrectly) that FGW (First Great Western) has made no admission of any mistake or responsibility for the misunderstanding. I would guess that a credit card company refunding the consumer doesn't in any way mean that FGW is legally liable for anything, just that in the CC issuer's opinion there was groud for a refund. That said it does sound like the retailer could be making life easier for its customers, but I'm fairly sure that would be thetrainline and not FGW per se.

Regarding your friend who tipped off a flight and then bought the wrong ticket, my opinion is that a degree of personal responsibility needs to come into play. If I had done that (and believe me, I know all about getting off planes feeling very very tired) I would have thought it was my own fault and put it down to experience, not gone after the company because I didn't find their user interface as clear as it could have been... Just my opinion though, I'm sure others' will vary.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 17:33:51 »

just an update this issue has now been fixed
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: