Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:54:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Illness caused by Network rail masts  (Read 12691 times)
Mikeb

View Profile Email
« on: March 31, 2011, 17:34:01 »

Network Rail recently installed a mast next to our home and now I am seriously ill when at home and fine as soon as I am away from here.
My doctor has proved that it must be caused by the electromagnetic pulse given off by these base stations there is no other explanation!!!
Visit my website for my story and let me know if you have suffered any effects from any base stations and masts.
http://www.networkrailmasts.co.uk

Thanks

Mike
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 13:56:54 by Mikeb » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 17:42:05 »

Thanks for posting that introduction, Mikeb - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.

Chris  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 19:03:22 »

http://www.badscience.net/2006/05/attack-of-the-killer-kettles/  Roll Eyes

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 02:28:15 »

good of you to provide proof of network rails admission of guilt
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:03:56 »

A neighbour of mine claimed to suffer serious illness from a similar mast.
These symptoms started as soon as the mast was constructed, and long before any equipment thereon was put into use.
Others have claimed illness from the WiFi "cloud" in central London, these symptoms started promptly after the advertising campaign that officialy launched the new service. No increase in illness was reported during the months of unadvertised testing.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 12:13:01 »

Most of us have wifi in our homes, why do we not have a national epidemic?

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:29:45 »

Don't get me wrong I'm not denying that these masts could well cause these symptoms, however not even I the idiot that I am would accuse a company of injuring me without proof and then set up a website stating that network rail have admitted blame without publishing this admission of guilt.
As for radiation worries people would be surprised to see a list of things that give off radiation
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:42:08 »

Don't get me wrong I'm not denying that these masts could well cause these symptoms....

You really should deny it, relex. Plenty of proper scientific studies have concluded that there are no adverse health effects from exposure to electromagnetic fields such as those generated by a mobile communications mast.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 14:23:51 »

surely if these alleged health effects were known as made out to be then surely they would not be permitted to be erected in the first place

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 16:53:32 »

welcome to the forum.  SOrry you are ill and I hope you get better.  But I reserve the right to completely disbelieve that the mast in harming you (at least via its radiowaves rather than the much more plausible mechanism of spoiling your view and making you annoyed and unhappy) until you come up with some better evidence.  Do you even know that the mast is switched on yet?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 17:32:39 »

From http://www.networkrailmasts.co.uk/services/latest-news

26th March

Have a letter from N.R. to say the mast has never been switched on therefore it can't be the cause of my ill health.Seems odd as I have had tests done on the mast and a graph printed showing the output.
Good news as I can now have tests at home with no mast switched on.

I have no idea how the mast was supposedly tested, and in the absence of any information detailing how the "tests" were conducted and showing the data it's impossible to tell if they have any validity or meaning.

31st March 2011

At last Network Rail admit that their masts can cause mild or serious health problems in some people living close to the base stations.
They sent a World Health Organization letter detailing evidence from around the world showing that some people like myself are affected by the EMF given off by the mast base stations.Something I knew already.
Why then do they place them close to the habitation if there is a concern worldwide about the effects ?
Something my solicitor would like an answer to.

The "WHO letter" is neither reproduced nor cited. However the WHO has an extensive online resourse on this issue which does not really say what the OP (Original Poster / topic starter) claims it does; the link to the full article is http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html.

The balance of the article is that there has been extensive research on the issue (they quote 25,000 scientific publications) and no-one has proven any health consequences. As any scientist will tell you it is of course exceedingly difficult to prove a negative, but I'll quote a couple of paragraphs here:

From http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html:

Conclusions from scientific research
In the area of biological effects and medical applications of non-ionizing radiation approximately 25,000 articles have been published over the past 30 years. Despite the feeling of some people that more research needs to be done, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals. Based on a recent in-depth review of the scientific literature, the WHO concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields. However, some gaps in knowledge about biological effects exist and need further research.

Effects on general health
Some members of the public have attributed a diffuse collection of symptoms to low levels of exposure to electromagnetic fields at home. Reported symptoms include headaches, anxiety, suicide and depression, nausea, fatigue and loss of libido. To date, scientific evidence does not support a link between these symptoms and exposure to electromagnetic fields. At least some of these health problems may be caused by noise or other factors in the environment, or by anxiety related to the presence of new technologies.
(my emphasis)
Electromagnetic hypersensitivity and depression
Some individuals report "hypersensitivity" to electric or magnetic fields. They ask whether aches and pains, headaches, depression, lethargy, sleeping disorders, and even convulsions and epileptic seizures could be associated with electromagnetic field exposure.

There is little scientific evidence to support the idea of electromagnetic hypersensitivity. Recent Scandinavian studies found that individuals do not show consistent reactions under properly controlled conditions of electromagnetic field exposure. Nor is there any accepted biological mechanism to explain hypersensitivity. Research on this subject is difficult because many other subjective responses may be involved, apart from direct effects of fields themselves. More studies are continuing on the subject.

See also Ben Goldacre's excellent article linked by TerminalJunkie above. Essentially the state of the art is that there is no proven link at all between EM radiation and health problems (let's remember that we're not necessarily talking about "scary" ionizing radiation from nuclaer power stations here, light is a type of EM radiation). Whilst people may experience symptoms that are undoubtedly real, the current evidence from the scientific literature is that they are unlikely to be caused by the EMF but more likely a more nebulous collection of environmental/social/psychlogical/other factors that are exceedingly difficult to pin down.

The clincher for me was the articles cited by Goldacre in what I, as a scientist, would call a properly controlled experiment. The basic principle of the method is that someone who claims hypersentivitity to EMF is exposed to a field but in such a way that they have no idea when it is on or when it is off. At risk of over-simplifying by summarizing the results in a few words, these studies apparently show that the test subject can't tell if the EMF is present or not.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 18:50:09 by inspector_blakey » Logged

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 01:29:38 »

I do however 100% belive that you can make yourself ill by worrying about things terminal junkie please forgive me for this as I am on my phone so no spell check, but is is psychosomatic the correct word
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 01:32:37 »

Spot on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosomatic_medicine#Connotations_of_the_term_.22psychosomatic_illness.22

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:40:45 »

The information I retained from school was as impressive as that learnt from star trek I would be so much better off!  Roll Eyes
Mikeb

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 13:05:14 »

Interesting to see the various replies to my post.
I can tell you for a fact that I am not imagining the effects on my health and my doctor has proved it with a blood pressure monitor over 24 hours.
I would hate anyone to suffer as I have waking at night with what appears to be a the onset of a heart attack.I have seriously high blood pressure at home,fine when I am not here and it goes off the scale to life threatening if I stand 20 metres from the mast.All this has been seen by my doctor and now she tells me it has been researched and proven worldwide that a percentage of the population can be affected in various ways and that my mind cannot alter these tests.
This country chooses to ignore the findings.
My wife and children are so far unaffected
I live 200 metres down a drive in the middle of a field with no neighbours or industry nearby.Just me and now the mast.The doctor,cardiologist and experts in electromagentic radiation can find no other cause.
The expert in the field of EMF finds it amazing that this mast can give off the signals even when switched off !!!!
Apparently I have been told by the cardiologist that it is not the microwaves from these masts which affect anyone but the electromagnetic pulse given off which interferes with your bodies own electric pulse.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: