Short Run
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 15:54:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[318] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[207] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[102] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[35] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[31] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[15] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Travelling by Train and Bus? Your tickets could be tax deducatble from 5.4.2011  (Read 14923 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 01, 2011, 00:03:26 »

Press Release From the Connectional Rail Alternative Package team

As from 5th April, certain public transport fares will be deductable against income tax at the standard rate for British taxpayers.   If you're a taxpayer, you'll be required to keep a log of eligible journeys in chronological order on form 68/72/84, then add up the fares at the end of the year and fill them into a box on your tax return.  After the initial year, when the tax situation will be reconciled with your return, you'll be able to claim an Advanced Rebate Saving Element on you code for following years, based on a presumption that your expenditure on fares will remain static for subsequent years.

This allowance is part of the Connectional Rail Alternative Package which is designed to encourage travellers with journeys that are multimodal to switch from their private vehicles to public transport.   The following tickets are eligible ...

* For use on the National Rail Network (but excluding tickets to and from stations not managed by a franchised train operating company):
Standard class Anytime, OffPeak and Super Offpeak Single and period return rail tickets purchased on the day of travel (including underground)
Standard and First class Day return rail tickets purchased at any time.
Standard class advanced purchase tickets priced at over 10 pounds (rising to 15 pounds in the second year)

* For use on buses as follows:
Single and return bus tickets of all types on bus services which receive a central or local government subsidy.
Return bus tickets for journeys over 1 mile but less than 6 miles on bus services which operate commercially.

* For use on the following ferry services, single or return foot passenger tickets:
Ullapool to Stornoway (and vice versa)
Mallaig small islands services to Canna, Eigg, Muck and Rhum (and vv, but not between the islands)
Oban to Tobermory, Coll, Barra, Tiree and Colonsay (but not on Wednesday Colonsay services) (and vv)
Ardrossan to Brodick (and vv)
Gourock to Dunoon (and vv, but not journeys on PS Waverley)
Largs to Millport (and vv)
Wemyss Bay to Rothesay (and vv)
Stranraer to Belfast (and vv)
Birkenhead to Belfast (and vv)
Holyhead to Dublin and to Dun Laoghaire (single tickets only. NOT in the opposite direction)
Devonport to Torpoint (and vv)
Lymingtom to Yarmouth (and vv)
Southampton to Hythe (and vv)
Southampton to Cowes (and vv)
Portsmouth Harbour to Ryde Pierhead (and vv)
Harwich International to Hoek van Holland and to Esbjerg (single tickets only. NOT in the opposite direction)
River bus services in London but not river tours

As this is a connectional package to encourage multimodal travel, only journeys made on several adjoining tickets will be valid for deduction against income tax. This is designed to encourage travellers to take the bus to the station or to use the train to reach the ferry.  You may not claim a tax deduction for the Woolwich Free Ferry, but you may count a journey on this service as an adjoining journey. The deductions may only be made by the taxholder in person, and are not valid for family and friends, and cannot be claimed on tickets which are already discounted by the use of a railcard, or bulk journey purchases via carnet or season ticket.  If you wish to claim this allowance, you should retain your tickets and also further evidence of your journey in person.  For this purpose, we suggest you ask a fellow traveller to photograph you using a camera with GPS and a date and time stamper. Alternatively, you can stand in from of a station name sign holding up a current copy of a recognised daily newspaper such as the Daily Sport. You should seek permission from the Duty Manager before taking photographs at junction stations on electric lines (such as Brockenhurst), and you should not use flash.

It is anticipated that some taxpayers may take some time to learn the details of this scheme, and should you wish to log and check the eligibility of your evidence and tickets, you may submit data starting today (1st April 2011) on the Connectional Rail Alternative Package site. Once operational, a single error will be treated as a mistake, but further incorrect claims made under will be treated as intents to defraud and tax codes will be reduced by twice the amount falsely claimed as a fine.

We hope you like our easy new scheme to help you save money by using public transport. Ask for a leaflet at your station this morning. - The Connectional Rail Alternative Package team

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:06:58 »

right so if i get the bus to the train station, and keep such tickets, i can claim tax back?
yet if i walk to the station i cant?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:10:34 »

sloof lirpA
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 03:20:37 »

I'm looking forward to my rebates for multi modal travel, driving to the station can be expensive but the incentives I get for spending nine hours a day on the train outweigh the negatives.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:56:38 »

For various dull and unexciting reasons I've had cause to go delving through the US tax code in the last few months - got my issues sorted out now but that passage above is closer to the truth than you may realize!!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 12:07:45 »

For various dull and unexciting reasons I've had cause to go delving through the US tax code in the last few months - got my issues sorted out now but that passage above is closer to the truth than you may realize!!

Indeed - many a true word written in jest.  There is actually a case - morally at least - for giving the person who pays his British taxes to help run the trains and buses something of a break.  You can get rail cards / special ticket prices if you're too young to pay tax, too old to work, disabled, a student, from overseas, and yet the people who provide the bulk of the subsidy also have to pay the highest amounts to travel.  Double Whammie!

I had great fun putting in acronymns, obscure rules and 'inside' jokes - I can just imagine lots of people seeking out the duty manager at Brockenhurst and asking him to photograph them with the station sign and a copy of the "Sport".   And some appropriately irritating exclusions.   Would you be able to claim for tickets to / from Paddington?   Actually not!   And if you want to just walk to the station, take a single train and claim you're usually able to do so.   Can anyone see how?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 14:35:38 »

sloof lirpA

quite!
Not bad either....
pbc2520

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 18:36:40 »

I had great fun putting in acronymns, obscure rules and 'inside' jokes - I can just imagine lots of people seeking out the duty manager at Brockenhurst and asking him to photograph them with the station sign and a copy of the "Sport".

I now had the perfect excuse to pick up one of those recognizable - from a distance - front pages but alas...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12942417
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 17:40:36 »

Many a true work spoken in jest ...

I have a delegate from Denmark on my course this week, and he explains that if he travels more that 25km per day in commuting, he can claim an extra 1.50 Kr per extra km on his tax allowance for the year.   So - 50km journey, 100km round trip, 75km claimed at 1.50 Kr x 220 days per year.  "It's done to compensate people who have to spend a lot of time travelling to work" he says.  Helps even out the "stockbroker belt" syndrome of expensive housing in a ring around big cities like Copenhagen.   But very un-green as the allowance applies no matter how the travelling is done.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 21:56:38 »

And another suggestion along the same lines ... from Belper News ... I thought of this old thread when I read it.

Railway passengers in this country have been penalised for far too long.

They have been imposed upon with inflation-busting increases in commuter costs.

These record increases in commuting costs have destabilised the economy because it subtracts disposable income from Family Budgets.

The railway commuter is a voter too, David Cameron, and they have not been listened to, in my view.

I believe if government cannot be bothered to control the costs imposed upon railway commuters and railway passengers in general then they the government should implement this radical idea that has much public support ^ railway fares should be made tax deductible.

I actually thought that the government did control a lot of the ticket costs - though not as tightly as the author of the letter would like.   And others are controlled indirectly because they can't sensibly rise above similar regulated fares.  So the logic of the writer fails.  However, there could be some merit in encouraging travel to work by public transport by making elements associated tax deductible.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: