Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:18:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • CLPG Rail Excursion: September 10, 2011
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hereford to Portsmouth Harbour - Booking - see clpg.co.uk web site  (Read 9467 times)
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« on: April 06, 2011, 20:20:02 »

CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) wil be running an excursion train (FGW (First Great Western) HST (High Speed Train)) from Hereford via the Cotswold Line to Oxford and thence non-stop via Swindon, Melksham, Salisbury & Eastleigh to Portsmouth Harbour. Booking is resticted to existing CLPG members from 1st May to 30th June and opens to public booking from 1st July for any remaining seats. Join CLPG before 1st May if you would like to take advantage of priority booking and discount fares for CLPG members. Membership application form is available on clpg.co.uk web site.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 00:04:52 »

Thank you for that heads up CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about)Cheesy

An interesting HST (High Speed Train) bash there. Been a while since a HST trundled into Portsmouth Harbour!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:57:00 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 15:09:20 »

An interesting HST (High Speed Train) bash there. Been a while since a HST trundled into Portsmouth Harbour!
2003-ish?  Probably would have been Virgin Cross Country.

Certainly an interesting route.  Wrong direction for me to travel on, but will have to see if I can catch this for some photography at PMH (I promise no obscure train crew mess room doors this time Cheesy).
willc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 23:51:52 »

Anyone thinking of travelling on this train to log up some unusual HST (High Speed Train) mileage who has yet to buy a ticket might be advised to do so soon. With ticket sales now open to the public, first class has sold out and there are just over 80 seats remaining in standard class.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:41:29 »

Might have done it if first class was still available - since I was supposedly in ireland I didnt look into it earlier

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
willc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 23:30:28 »

Really getting down to the last chance saloon for this trip - now just 40 seats left in standard class.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 23:44:56 »

booked on this so keep an eye out
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 23:56:02 »

Thanks for the warning, anthony215.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 22:18:09 »

Pathfinder are running a Steam Excursion to Portsmouth Harbour on the same day. The timings haven't been finalised yet, but their 'estimated' timings were arriving 1227 and leaving at 1640. So a 125 and a steam train at Portsmouth harbour within minutes of each other! I bet that's a first!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 01:07:10 »

In case anyone is joining this train at Moreton-in-Marsh and would normally come into town on the A429 Fosseway from the north, they will need time for a detour to reach the station, as the A429 will be closed to all traffic for resurfacing on September 10-11 around Budgens, the Basford Road junction and the railway bridge.

See www.clpg.co.uk for assorted updated information.
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 22:28:29 »

Pathfinder's Pompey Pacific timings (aslo this coming Saturday) are on the UK (United Kingdom) Steam Info website. Behind 70000 Britannia, it's due to arrive Portsmouth Harbour at 1239 and depart at 1652.

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 14:54:30 »

There may be some problem with Pathfinder train getting to Portsmouth Harbour as it has been suggested that P.H. cannot cope with two long trains at more or less the same time. Pathfinder may have to terminate at Fratton as they were second to bid for this timed arrival. Personally I have never been to P.H by train so have no idea what this problem may be. Of course it may be possible to sort some else out on the day so we shall have to see what happens when we get there.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 21:18:52 »

Obviously not much of a problem at least for departure as both trains left OK from platform 4, I'm presuming CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) would have seen 70000 and its ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) waiting on the down line just outside PMH as he left on the HST (High Speed Train)

The PIS (Passenger Information System) display time suggested the HST left within 30 secs of booked time, the Pompey Pacific was pulled into the platform by about 1645, I remember thinking they had only 7 mins to board their pax, but as it turned out it left just 3 or 4 mins after its published time.

As far as I could see the normal Saturday SWT (South West Trains), SN and FGW (First Great Western) services ran normally for the time of day, albeit from unusual platforms.

It certainly looked as though the HST passengers were having an enjoyable day out, and wasn't it reassuring to hear the announcements over the PA (Public Address) of the FGW Hereford service.   Accuracy wasn't to last though, as apparently 'London Underground' were operating the other excursion!   Shocked

Paul

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 22:43:13 »

Yes - Paul's report is perfectly correct and, yes, everyone did seem to have a good day. The atmosphere amongst everybody on board, travellers and FGW (First Great Western) staff, was great and over 400 people enjoyed an excursion at a price that no commercial company could beat because costs were little more than the charter cost as CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) volunteers put in many hundreds of hours to make everything run as smoothly as possible without financial reward. Suggestions for another destination next year were also sought. It was fortunate that the timing allowed a considerable degree of leeway as just before we arrived at Botley, the train came to a very sharp halt and the conductor announced that all trains in the vicinity had been halted due to a trespasser on the line. However the lost time was more than recovered and the train arrived back at Oxford 10 minutes early. All credit goes the the superb FGW team running the train and to the catering crew who had a 20 hour shift (including a 4 hour break at Portsmouth) from their departure from Bristol at 04.00 to their arrival back at Bristol at around midnight (assuming the train does finish OK as I am writing this before it will have finished its run! Those bacon baguettes ran out soon after passing Salisbury and practically everything else from the travelling chef soon after. An on-board raffle in aid the Glos. & Warwick Steam Rlwy resulted in a donation to its appeal for track repairs of ^720. We must have passed hundreds of photographers along the route down from Melksham and back so there should be plenty of photos of the Pompey Pacific steam excursion.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: