Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:26:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stone  (Read 11409 times)
vacman

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2007, 17:46:20 »

Probably old news but i've only just read that Stone is to recieve passenger services again as from December 2008! about time too!
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 18:37:53 »

Probably old news but i've only just read that Stone is to recieve passenger services again as from December 2008! about time too!

Which stone is this?

I know of quite a few that lack passenger services that used to have them...
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 18:38:44 »

Yes and a "full" train service is due to return to Atherstone as well (timetable link below.)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/wcml/wcms2008timetables/wcmsgoviatimetable

No evening service though , and only one train each way for Polesworth (link below.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polesworth_railway_station

No train service at all for the following stations near to Stone (links below.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_Bridge_railway_station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlaston_railway_station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedgwood_railway_station

I note that there is a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) consultation currently being conducted on these timetables (link below.)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/wcml/wcms2008timetables/wcmsbriefingpdf2

However , the outcome looks rather prejudged. Quote :

"The basic specification is fixed"

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 21:35:09 »

It's good to see trains serving these stations again! Melksham next!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 16:24:16 »

Remind me where stone is?

Isn't it between Swindon and Gloucester?
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 16:36:05 »

Quote from: Liam
Remind me where stone is?

It's here

Quote from: Liam
Isn't it between Swindon and Gloucester?

No. You're probably thinking of Stonehouse.

There is a Stone in Gloucestershire (near Bristol, here) but it doesn't have a railway running through it.

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 16:41:54 »

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone,_Staffordshire

Stone in Staffordshire is a market town with a population about two thirds of that of Melksham - I know that because it's a service / situation I've been drawing comparisons with, and I've been in touch with a few people.

I congratulate the good people of that town - and I commend the Department for Transport in specifying a regular service throughout the day.  And I suggest that they should consider providing a service of the same frequency to serve the much larger town of Melksham.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 18:03:42 »

You continually mention that there are x amount of people in Melksham, by no means does this mean all x of those people will use the train. What are road and bus connections like as if they are fairly decent then the train isn't worth the hastle. If Melksham was on the mainline it would be different, but it is not.

Am I right in thinking that Wessex boosted the timetable as a trail in faith that the service would be used. It was then withdrawn due to a lack of passengers. Feel free to flatter me with lots of fancy numbers but my understanding is that Melksham was given a service that wasn't used sufficiently and hence virtually removed. Simple if you ask me!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 18:20:04 »

You continually mention that there are x amount of people in Melksham, by no means does this mean all x of those people will use the train. What are road and bus connections like as if they are fairly decent then the train isn't worth the hastle. If Melksham was on the mainline it would be different, but it is not.

Am I right in thinking that Wessex boosted the timetable as a trail in faith that the service would be used. It was then withdrawn due to a lack of passengers. Feel free to flatter me with lots of fancy numbers but my understanding is that Melksham was given a service that wasn't used sufficiently and hence virtually removed. Simple if you ask me!
Obviously everyone who lives in a town wont use the train!!!!!!! imagine the whole 11000 population of St Ives trying to get on a 153!!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 20:43:51 »

Melksham to Swindon by bus - 95 minutes. By train - 25 minutes.
Trowbridge to Swindon - express bus 95 minutes, train direct 35 minutes.
Salisbury to Chippenham - 2 hours by bus, 50 minutes by direct train.

Fair point about the population not being a measure of the number who travel - I agree with you and have looked into that carefully.  So have the country council, so have First - please have a look at the FOI (Freedom of Information) documents I have posted and you'll see the details of what those expert parties consider to be an appropriate service level.  Actually, that's a more frequent service than we're campaiging for.

Please also bear in mind the whole of the TransWilts ridership / corridor, the SSCTs on the route, the RSS (Regional Spatial Strategy) and other matters. 

You're almost right.  It was indeed boosted as a trial of faith. Statistics were then gathered within the first year of the new service (starting early 2002) and those statistics with an assumption of virtually no growth used to specify the service for 2007.  Actually, the service did grow in use.  Trains that were dreadfully underutilised in the first months that they were quietly introduced became much, much busier. Many was the 2005 / 2006  journey I made where the coach in the local train had more passengers in it that the coach on the express I changed to at Westbury or Swindon.

I'm talking on this subject this coming Saturday, where you'll be able to compare our TransWilts campaign with other campaigns, and also listen to one of the FGW (First Great Western) directors speak.  There will be five other campaigners talking too.  The conference fee is only 12.50 if you would like to come along, or if you can't make it but would like me to go through the case with you one evening, you would be very welcome to drop by for an hour or two.

Conference URLs:
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4281.0
http://www.railfuture.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Rail%20Users%20Conference

One of the things that I find really disheartening is that the service now is WORSE - far worse - than it was before 2001.  Sensible timings for a skeleton service have been replaced by virtually useless ones.   But then one of the things I find most heartening is that everyone is looking forward in the realisastion that the new service was one cut too far, and looking at the future of the transport corridor.  I look forward, Liam, to having the opportunity this weekend or at a future date to filling you in further - on the things that are the weaknesses and strengths of the case.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 14:11:34 »

I wish somebody in the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) would realise just how much damage they can do by changing Train Times.

There used to be an Early (06.30) Leicester-Peterborough service back in the 70's that loaded to about 15 from Leicester, 25 from Melton, 50 from Oakham and about 90 from Stamford.

However one year BR (British Rail(ways)) in it's Wisdom withdrew the early train leaving the first service at 07.40.

However at the Next Time Table change it (the 06.30) was put back, on the first day the reinstated train ran May 76 or 77 how many passengers travel to Peterborough, 100?, sorry less, 75 then, again less, give up?

ONE! that's how many (ME), My very own Train Leicester-Peterborough, was packed from Peterborough on towards Harwich, ran in times of Train that started at Peterborough, it took almost 2 years for passenger levels to climb back to the earllier train levels.
Okay changing Train Times around a Few Minutes doesn't have much effect, but Bu**** up services like this And Melksham and also NEWQUAY, it's FATAL or  WORSE PLANNED. Evil DfT?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:26:12 by smokey » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 23:29:04 »

I wish somebody in the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) would realise just how much damage they can do by changing Train Times.

There used to be an Early (06.30) Leicester-Peterborough service back in the 70's that loaded to about 15 from Leicester, 25 from Melton, 50 from Oakham and about 90 from Stamford.

However one year BR (British Rail(ways)) in it's Wisdom withdrew the early train leaving the first service at 07.40.

However at the Next Time Table change it (the 06.30) was put back, on the first day the reinstated train ran May 76 or 77 how many passengers travel to Peterborough, 100?, sorry less, 75 then, again less, give up?

ONE! that's how many (ME), My very own Train Leicester-Peterborough, was packed from Peterborough on towards Harwich, ran in times of Train that started at Peterborough, ittook almost 2 years for passenger levels to climb back to the earllier train levels.
Okay changing Train Times around a Few Minutes doesn't have much effect, but Bu**** up services like this And Melksham and also NEWQUAY, it's FATAL or  WORSE PLANNED. Evil DfT?

You are right. It will take years for numbers to go up. But the Dft wouldn't wait, so they would axe the services down again!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 06:43:17 »

[snip]

You are right. It will take years for numbers to go up. But the Dft wouldn't wait, so they would axe the services down again!

Never such a true word spoken!

Melksham's services was hugely improved in 2001 - and over the following five years traffic grew hugely.   Of course, as the service rise was dramatic in 2001 it took a while for traffic to build up .... and before it had built up a number of traffic surveys were taken which (2002 figures!) were used as the basis for the 2004 Jacobs report which formed the basis of the 2007 service ... so of course it was based on a new service that was still gathering its market and pretty well.  We at Save the Train knew that all along.  But the powers that be used a growth figure of 0.8% in their calculations and, based on the low ticket sales figures of around 3000 per annum, specified 2 round trips a day. The ticket sales figure rose to 27000 before the service was completely revamped (back down) again in December 2006.

The 2006 revamp in essence withdrew all 10 services on the TransWilts and replaced them with 4 other services at "totally different" times. Here it is from the Melksham view:

The 05:52 (on which I have seen over 40 people) - WITHDRAWN
The 06:56 to Southampton was replaced by a train at 06:43 just to Westbury (the smallest change!)
The 07:43 to Swindon now runs at 07:17. Already an early train, it;s now far, far too early for commuters
The 09:12 which gave people the opportunity to commute to Melksham - WITHDRAWN
The 13:35 and 14:49 trains - ideal for early and part time workers and visitors - WITHDRAWN
The 17:12, a very popular London and commuter train out - WITHDRAWN
The 18:09 from Swindon - retimed OVER AN HOUR to 19:11, far too late for commuters
A new train provided at 19:50 to Swindon. Not sure of intended market!
The 21:33 to Swindon - WITHDRAWN.  Probably had been the least used train of the day
The 22:37 arrival from Swindon - a very useful "get home late" train - WITHDRAWN.

"Specification is two round trips a day"  Interestingly, we could have made very good use if we had retained, with a less that 10 minute change, the 07:43 and 09:12, and 17:12, 18:09 pairs.

This thread started on Stone.. It's very much a comparable town - been there too (it happens to have fond memories). I wish them well ... and wish we had a comparable service on the TransWilts to the one they're getting.   Let's see - an hourly Swindon to Salisbury would be great, perhaps as an extension of the London to Salisbury stopper?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:48:39 by grahame » Logged

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 20:25:59 »

As a matter of Interest how far is Melksham station from the town centre, also that of Stone.
Central Stations tend to be busier than out of town ones.

I think Stone Station (9miles 5chain from Stafford) used to have 4 platforms but only those on the Stafford line remain, the direct London Platforms dug up years ago
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 23:30:30 »

That 05.52 was always pretty busy!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: